1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
akili

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby akili » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:20 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:<----- Not covering dormant commerce clause

I feel like if I could go back a year I'd choose a school based on what con law covers and whether con law was a required course.

About two-thirds of my Con Law class has been over equal protection. I'm trying to decide whether that's a good or bad thing.

My school is getting rid of Con Law for 1Ls. If I would have known I would have deferred a year, fml.

For reals.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Con law is awful. My teacher has some open ended question where she posts a list of cases and tells us to explain the whole unit using two cases. It should be simple but it ticks me off because I don't know how to start. Apparently she does this every year so I've decided to just try and pre-write them because the super take home will be considerably easier if there is a draft that's been written weeks in advance.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I feel like if I could go back a year I'd choose a school based on what con law covers and whether con law was a required course.

About two-thirds of my Con Law class has been over equal protection. I'm trying to decide whether that's a good or bad thing.

My school is getting rid of Con Law for 1Ls. If I would have known I would have deferred a year, fml.

Jelly. Part of me thinks Con Law is somewhat useful. On the other hand, most of us will never address constitutional issues in our entire career. (Yes the same can be said for other 1L classes, but still). Seems like an unnecessary mindfuck that only contributes to our stress, not our knowledge.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Spent 8 hours locked up in the library today with Cherminsky's book and pretty much have a great working outline for all the Due Process / Equal Protection / Voting Rights, etc. stuff. Just need to get the Governmental Structure / Separation of Powers stuff now. FML.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:30 pm

i have a really good color coded outline on boerne. would like to trade for stuff on takings - particularly matthews/elridge

and hate to out myself but 40% of our exam is multiple choice w/ questions that say:

what case did this quote come from "..." - and it isn't like pretext...it was something about a "coin flip"

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:10 am

Con law outline....... DONE! Now I just have to go through some of Chemerinsky and fill in some gaps.

rawrab

Postby rawrab » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I go to class for a few hours a day and then go to the gym and come home feeling exhausted in the afternoon. I have no energy for studying. Does anyone else have this problem where class/working out drains them too much? I really like going to the gym and don't want to stop... I don't know what to dooo just want to wake up and have it be 5 weeks later.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Taking my first practice exam. :|

ap1987

Postby ap1987 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:21 pm

rawrab wrote:I go to class for a few hours a day and then go to the gym and come home feeling exhausted in the afternoon. I have no energy for studying. Does anyone else have this problem where class/working out drains them too much? I really like going to the gym and don't want to stop... I don't know what to dooo just want to wake up and have it be 5 weeks later.

USB labs Jack3d, take 2 scoops. If you take 3 you'll crash hard.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:36 pm

First con law practice test. This ought to be disastrous.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:39 pm

sitting in the library tlsing because i have no motivation. halp.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:sitting in the library tlsing because i have no motivation. halp.

Sitting at home doing the same. I think I spent all of my motivation yesterday. Listening to Oral Arguments on YouTube to pretend like I'm prepping for my Oral Argument tomorrow that I am sure to crash-and-burn on. I am so stressed about my oral argument... I'm incredibly shy, quiet, and non-vocal (I've gone some days where I've noticed it's 11pm and I have yet to utter a word); I'm fearing this so much.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:48 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ilovesf wrote:sitting in the library tlsing because i have no motivation. halp.

Sitting at home doing the same. I think I spent all of my motivation yesterday. Listening to Oral Arguments on YouTube to pretend like I'm prepping for my Oral Argument tomorrow that I am sure to crash-and-burn on. I am so stressed about my oral argument... I'm incredibly shy, quiet, and non-vocal (I've gone some days where I've noticed it's 11pm and I have yet to utter a word); I'm fearing this so much.

Don't stress too much. Being shy doesn't mean you'll perform badly. Just try to memorize what you can so if you get nervous you can go on auto-pilot. Also practice it in front of people as much as possible and make them ask you questions.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:54 pm

ilovesf wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Sitting at home doing the same. I think I spent all of my motivation yesterday. Listening to Oral Arguments on YouTube to pretend like I'm prepping for my Oral Argument tomorrow that I am sure to crash-and-burn on. I am so stressed about my oral argument... I'm incredibly shy, quiet, and non-vocal (I've gone some days where I've noticed it's 11pm and I have yet to utter a word); I'm fearing this so much.

Don't stress too much. Being shy doesn't mean you'll perform badly. Just try to memorize what you can so if you get nervous you can go on auto-pilot. Also practice it in front of people as much as possible and make them ask you questions.

Ugh, easier said than done... at least for me. Even thinking about it is giving me heart palpitations. I started thinking for 20 minutes that "Hey, I should take like 2 shots before this so I don't freak out as much!" That idea dissipated fast and now I'm back to freaking out again. It counts next to nothing for my overall grades, but still the embarrassment and shame is frightening me. Like my practice oral argument was me stammering, having no idea what I was saying, I stood there frozen staring at the wall for a solid 10 seconds during practice before I was able to start my argument. My mind just goes blank, like deer in headlights. Fuck.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 pm

I've taken a practice exam once a week for a while now and haven't burned out. This brief though will be the death of me.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:49 pm

rawrab wrote:I go to class for a few hours a day and then go to the gym and come home feeling exhausted in the afternoon. I have no energy for studying. Does anyone else have this problem where class/working out drains them too much? I really like going to the gym and don't want to stop... I don't know what to dooo just want to wake up and have it be 5 weeks later.

For me the best times are either really early in the morning, or really late at night. I'm most productive from the hours of 6pm-2am, so I try and go to the gym at 9am, so that even if I get really exhausted I can take a nap during the daytime and not use up valuable study time.

On another note, learning all of equal protection today. Through race discrim, and just started sex discrim

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:Taking my first practice exam. :|

Went ok. Apparently misinterpreted the law in the exam's relation to the 10th Amendment, but other than that not bad. My professor's exam style is mind-shockingly shitty.

LegalEagle2014

Postby LegalEagle2014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 pm

anyone have anything that helped them understand touch and concern in property? its the one item of the course I am completely lost in.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:44 pm

LegalEagle2014 wrote:anyone have anything that helped them understand touch and concern in property? its the one item of the course I am completely lost in.

I felt that Touch & Concern was fairly straight forward. The real covenant or equitable servitude merely has to touch & concern the property in dispute; the covenant cannot be for some unrelated issue or another property. That said we just went over it today, but my professor played it off as if it's something simple and insignificant, merely something to check off on the list for running the burden/benefit.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:25 pm

crossarmant wrote:
LegalEagle2014 wrote:anyone have anything that helped them understand touch and concern in property? its the one item of the course I am completely lost in.

I felt that Touch & Concern was fairly straight forward. The real covenant or equitable servitude merely has to touch & concern the property in dispute; the covenant cannot be for some unrelated issue or another property. That said we just went over it today, but my professor played it off as if it's something simple and insignificant, merely something to check off on the list for running the burden/benefit.

Yup.

Back in the ol' days, touch and concern literally meant the property and the property only. Not true in most modern jurisdictions today. It's good to be aware of even mor extreme cases like neponsit--where even a homeowners fees or covenant (that doesn't even have privity of estate, as in never owning the property at issue in the first place) may constitute "touching the land." As long as the parties advance the interests of the land and the people who own it--that is enough for an agreement/covenant/servitude to "touch the land"

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Someone please explain Semtek and Shady Grove to me (Civ Pro). Please.

Arghhh.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Feeling way behind. First exam (conlaw) is a week from Sunday. I've outlined one class (torts), got an upperclassman's outline for another (crim), and outlined about half of conlaw and stopped (the final is 24-hour take-home, so now I'm just plowing through notes/briefs/Chemerinsky). For whatever reason, I'm still having trouble getting motivated. This is gonna be a rough couple of weeks.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:04 am

beachbum wrote:Feeling way behind. First exam (conlaw) is a week from Sunday. I've outlined one class (torts), got an upperclassman's outline for another (crim), and outlined about half of conlaw and stopped (the final is 24-hour take-home, so now I'm just plowing through notes/briefs/Chemerinsky). For whatever reason, I'm still having trouble getting motivated. This is gonna be a rough couple of weeks.

someone said chemer videos were helpful - sounds like it could be a nice break from staring at words

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 am

SilverE2 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

My school doesn't have con law for 1Ls, for which I'm extremely grateful.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 am

bartleby wrote:
beachbum wrote:Feeling way behind. First exam (conlaw) is a week from Sunday. I've outlined one class (torts), got an upperclassman's outline for another (crim), and outlined about half of conlaw and stopped (the final is 24-hour take-home, so now I'm just plowing through notes/briefs/Chemerinsky). For whatever reason, I'm still having trouble getting motivated. This is gonna be a rough couple of weeks.

someone said chemer videos were helpful - sounds like it could be a nice break from staring at words

they were awful imo. i think they might be good for a broad overview of the course, but they're kinda a look-4-less version of his supplement. the supplement was already cursory for the purposes of my conlaw class (we only covered a few areas in conlaw but we went into hardcore depth). worse, he speaks in such an awful cadence that it's really hard to understand him. I had to play back a whole bunch of times because he'd speed through at an ungodly rate and mumble through the elements then spend 10 minutes talking about a case we didn't cover in my class.

it was a waste of my time, but perhaps you are more patient and tolerant than me.

the property one though was AWESOME (although not quite as good as my savior freer). Much more in depth and she's goofy and charming.

Crim law was decent and helped me get a broad overview of that class (our professor is legit retarded, so i need the basics and broad brushstrokes for the class).
Last edited by Guchster on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”