1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:47 pm

did yall have midterms?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:49 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:did yall have midterms?


nope. I wouldn't think it before I went to law school, but I actually would've liked to have some so I could have some feedback if I was on track.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:50 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:did yall have midterms?


Couple of quizzes here and there, overall I'm pretty pleased with my performance

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 pm

ph14 wrote:yeah I have a prof like that as well. it's definitely tough. how are you going about it?

i asked what exams posted online they might model theirs after, based my outline on class, readings and online slides, and i'm making appointments to go over practice exams once i do them. i'm not sure there really is another way to go about it since no one at my school really knows anything about them.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 pm

damn, i had (not graded) midterms in every class. extremely helpful

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:yeah I have a prof like that as well. it's definitely tough. how are you going about it?

i asked what exams posted online they might model theirs after, based my outline on class, readings and online slides, and i'm making appointments to go over practice exams once i do them. i'm not sure there really is another way to go about it since no one at my school really knows anything about them.


I really need to do that. I'm just afraid my professors won't be receptive lol.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:54 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:did yall have midterms?

in property we had a midterm not counting towards our grade, but we got comments and what our grade would have been, and in civpro we had one but the prof didn't even look at them, he said it was just practice for us.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:59 pm

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:yeah I have a prof like that as well. it's definitely tough. how are you going about it?

i asked what exams posted online they might model theirs after, based my outline on class, readings and online slides, and i'm making appointments to go over practice exams once i do them. i'm not sure there really is another way to go about it since no one at my school really knows anything about them.


I really need to do that. I'm just afraid my professors won't be receptive lol.


if they aren't then force them to be. it's their job and your ass is on the line

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby istara » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:did yall have midterms?


I had 1 in torts (25% of our grade).. This thread is extremely helpful. I didn't get anything done today and I come on here to read about all you who are already done with all of your outlines and are already taking practice exams. Serious motivation.. time to finish up the Civ Pro outline!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ph14 wrote:I really need to do that. I'm just afraid my professors won't be receptive lol.


if they aren't then force them to be. it's their job and your ass is on the line

yeah, for real. my professors in general are really nice, so i'm not really worried about it. i could see being too intimidated to go though.. but it is their job, and i'm sure they get asked to do this quite often.. you don't have anything to lose by asking.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 pm

ilovesf wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
ph14 wrote:I really need to do that. I'm just afraid my professors won't be receptive lol.


if they aren't then force them to be. it's their job and your ass is on the line

yeah, for real. my professors in general are really nice, so i'm not really worried about it. i could see being too intimidated to go though.. but it is their job, and i'm sure they get asked to do this quite often.. you don't have anything to lose by asking.


the profs (at least here) get paid like 200-400k to work MAYBE 20 hours a week at this job, and they all fly all over the country on the weekends and do consulting gigs and clean house that way without a doubt. plus how much are all of us paying to go to school? they definitely owe you all the time you need.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
ph14 wrote:I really need to do that. I'm just afraid my professors won't be receptive lol.


if they aren't then force them to be. it's their job and your ass is on the line

yeah, for real. my professors in general are really nice, so i'm not really worried about it. i could see being too intimidated to go though.. but it is their job, and i'm sure they get asked to do this quite often.. you don't have anything to lose by asking.


the profs (at least here) get paid like 200-400k to work MAYBE 20 hours a week at this job, and they all fly all over the country on the weekends and do consulting gigs and clean house that way without a doubt. plus how much are all of us paying to go to school? they definitely owe you all the time you need.


haha thanks, I think this has inspired me to give it a shot. although I know 1 prof has stopped having office hours so.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:36 pm

ph14 wrote:
haha thanks, I think this has inspired me to give it a shot. although I know 1 prof has stopped having office hours so.

seriously?? wow. what about a review session or anything? some of my profs are actually increasing office hours.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:41 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:
haha thanks, I think this has inspired me to give it a shot. although I know 1 prof has stopped having office hours so.

seriously?? wow. what about a review session or anything? some of my profs are actually increasing office hours.


yeah, he is going to have a review session at least though. I wouldn't mind discussing though one on one.

User avatar
AlexanderSupertramp
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:43 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:damn, i had (not graded) midterms in every class. extremely helpful


ours were graded 20 percent. I have three As (if you count LRW) and two Bs going into finals. Hoping to do better especially in Contracts and Civil Procedure.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:59 pm

I had one contracts midterm about 6 weeks ago, not factored into the grade but graded with check, check minus, check plus. Got a check. :-/ Oh well, made big big mistakes and didn't study at all though and honestly surprised I got median. So I'm optimistic. :)

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:17 am

One midterm. It was only 10% of the grade. A-. Not bad but not optimum. Truthfully, I'd be happy with straight A-'s. I think I'm a TLS anomaly though.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby NYC Law » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:22 am

alicrimson wrote:One midterm. It was only 10% of the grade. A-. Not bad but not optimum. Truthfully, I'd be happy with straight A-'s. I think I'm a TLS anomaly though.


Yeah, the rest of TLS would be loathe to receive straight A-s....

At this point I'd be ecstatic for straight B+s

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:27 am

home on a friday night outlining :| will be doing the same tomorrow :|

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby shock259 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:31 am

Me too. Strength in numbers. I'm fixing up some outlines and prepping for a bunch of practice tests tomorrow. Living the life.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:33 am

shock259 wrote:Me too. Strength in numbers. I'm fixing up some outlines and prepping for a bunch of practice tests tomorrow. Living the life.

you make me feel so far behind :(

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:57 am

finished my torts tonight.....

after a quick nap, time to start with my crim law pt tomorrow. finals not until mid decemeber but i have to teach myself the entire course ( class discussions,and going to class was a waste of time- the only reason i went was because he takes attendance every day and if you miss 6 you automatically fail- and i have a K right before, and torts right after so its kinda pointlless to skip)....

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:10 am

done with my civpro outline 8) i can't decide if i want to go over the e&e tomorrow to add it to my outline now, or save it until before the final. i have my property final dec 1, and my civ pro final dec 7, so i have a good 5 days of studying only for civpro in between. hmm.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:31 am

are you all studying for each final right now ( like do PTs for them)? or just the finals that you have in the beginning. I have a final on day one of finals period, then a 4 day break inbetween ( So i take final number 2 on friday), pick up a take home final- on friday, tnen turn it in on monday( no practice finals out there- first year prof teaching the course, which was totally modified, so its going tobe difficult)and then my last final isnt until the last day of the finals period. ( so literally the 12thd day of finals, counting the sat/sunday in the period)

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby theavrock » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:00 am

northwood wrote:are you all studying for each final right now ( like do PTs for them)? or just the finals that you have in the beginning. I have a final on day one of finals period, then a 4 day break inbetween ( So i take final number 2 on friday), pick up a take home final- on friday, tnen turn it in on monday( no practice finals out there- first year prof teaching the course, which was totally modified, so its going tobe difficult)and then my last final isnt until the last day of the finals period. ( so literally the 12thd day of finals, counting the sat/sunday in the period)


I'm doing a PT for each class each week and then plan to turn to each class a few days before each final to hammer everything home.

In other news I've read for 3 of my 4 classes through the end of semester as of last night. So now I turn to tightening the outlines, E&E's and practice test after practice test.

Crunch time in full effect.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ladybug1989, lowenjo, rcharter1978 and 11 guests