1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gdane

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby gdane » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Does anyone want to join the closed book con law final club with me? I say we just go out swinging Waco-style

Ill join. Con law final is May 1st.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:38 pm

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:29 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:Relevant

Agreed! I honestly have no earthly idea where to even start. Are there any 2Ls out there in the Interwebswonderland who aced ConLaw who would be willing to share an outline for me to get an idea of where to even begin?

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Today is Con Law day. I am starting to hate con law more with every study session. While exams are not going to be fun, I'm heavily anticipating the end of 1L. We are so close! Something I've noticed that strikes me as odd is that people are continuing to plan fun things for nights and weekends. Of course, I don't say this. I try to keep my super neuroticism under wraps. Anyways, its weird because we only have two weeks until briefs are due and three weeks until finals. I don't remember this going on last semester. I don't know how everyone is so relaxed when I feel like there is not enough time in the day to get things done. Of course, I don't say anything along these lines when invites are extended or trips are kicking around but still...internally it blows my mind. Perhaps I'm being irrational? Likely, actually. Does anyone else feel this way or have you all noticed this going on at your school?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:44 pm

There's definitely not enough time to get everything done. Haven't started property outline, not outlining CivPro, almost done with ConLaw. Alas.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:There's definitely not enough time to get everything done. Haven't started property outline, not outlining CivPro, almost done with ConLaw. Alas.

I hate you :evil:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm

alicrimson wrote:Today is Con Law day. I am starting to hate con law more with every study session. While exams are not going to be fun, I'm heavily anticipating the end of 1L. We are so close! Something I've noticed that strikes me as odd is that people are continuing to plan fun things for nights and weekends. Of course, I don't say this. I try to keep my super neuroticism under wraps. Anyways, its weird because we only have two weeks until briefs are due and three weeks until finals. I don't remember this going on last semester. I don't know how everyone is so relaxed when I feel like there is not enough time in the day to get things done. Of course, I don't say anything along these lines when invites are extended or trips are kicking around but still...internally it blows my mind. Perhaps I'm being irrational? Likely, actually. Does anyone else feel this way or have you all noticed this going on at your school?

I am not doing anything fun. I mean NOTHING. It isn't only the studying that's keeping me busy, but other things are totally piling up too. Things like we have meetings about how to schedule our 2L classes, meetings with profs for recs, and I have to go get fingerprinted for the summer. All of these little things are adding up and I feel like I have no time to study at all. BLAH. Oh yeah, I decided to try out for Moot Court, which I probably won't even get on because I put no effort into brief. Try outs are this week and I have to prepare an argument.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:There's definitely not enough time to get everything done. Haven't started property outline, not outlining CivPro, almost done with ConLaw. Alas.

I hate you :evil:

It's been to the utter neglect of my other classes for the past week. I'm ENTIRELY relying on Acing CivPro to get me through that class; our casebook author wrote it and uses all the cases from the casebook, so that's going to be a swing-for-the-fences attempt.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 pm

crossarmant wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:Relevant

Agreed! I honestly have no earthly idea where to even start. Are there any 2Ls out there in the Interwebswonderland who aced ConLaw who would be willing to share an outline for me to get an idea of where to even begin?

Idk. Mine is a hodgepodge of class and reading notes (not unlike my other outlines, but I find that letting go of my attachment to perfection is essential to get anything done). I have had minor success in creating a checklist type deal for Standing, Commerce, et al but it's more of a skeleton of exam responses than substantive review.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 pm

alicrimson wrote:Today is Con Law day. I am starting to hate con law more with every study session. While exams are not going to be fun, I'm heavily anticipating the end of 1L. We are so close! Something I've noticed that strikes me as odd is that people are continuing to plan fun things for nights and weekends. Of course, I don't say this. I try to keep my super neuroticism under wraps. Anyways, its weird because we only have two weeks until briefs are due and three weeks until finals. I don't remember this going on last semester. I don't know how everyone is so relaxed when I feel like there is not enough time in the day to get things done. Of course, I don't say anything along these lines when invites are extended or trips are kicking around but still...internally it blows my mind. Perhaps I'm being irrational? Likely, actually. Does anyone else feel this way or have you all noticed this going on at your school?

I can understand how it's easier to relax spring semester of an academic year. In college, I'd have an internship/summer job lined up by now, which takes the edge off a little bit. That said, given my inability to make the moot court board, I am buckling down to increase my odds of getting on a journal (hopefully, the big one, but I will happily take the IP journal as well). Also, for some reason outlining is a little easier this semester. Maybe because I am less obsessed with studying the "right" way and more on just getting shit done. My first outline, Civ Pro, is coming along wicked fast. As in, one Unit (out of about 5 total) per every 2 hour day spent on it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm distilling my class notes/Freer too quickly, but I have learned to temper this neurosis and be satisfied with progress of any kind. It's the only way, for me at least. It echoes my fear of starting a draft of a paper. No reason why I can't revise an outline and add more policy and depth to it after more studying, but part of me wants to get it perfect the first time or not do it at all. Damn the pain of imperfection! Damn it to hell!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 pm

i realize that i hate law school more and more each day closer to finals.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:29 pm

If you've kept up with things all semester, going out a couple times a week right now isn't crazy at all.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:13 am

Started my first outline tonight. Made me feel sad, productive, and more sad all at once.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 am

Outloling.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 pm

I think my brain is cramping...lol...Lately, as a part of my one class per day thing, I've been running through my outlines. Two of our classes are very long take home exams so those outlines are detailed (~80 pages...yeah, would never use except control + find is my friend) and I've been running through them so I can check for some understanding/be able to spot the issue when it comes up in the fact pattern. Mother of god, it is taking forever. Property in particular is a thorn in my side. There is so much material and, unlike con law or civ pro, it doesn't seem to fit together (some of it does but animals, finders, and covenants aren't super similar...that I can gather atleast). Any of you have any tips on how to cover all of this nonsense?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

moot court try outs are tomorrow and i'm so unprepared it's a joke. i guess i won't have to worry about all that extra work next year since i'm definitely not going to make it.

kentuckylaw

Postby kentuckylaw » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

gdane wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Does anyone want to join the closed book con law final club with me? I say we just go out swinging Waco-style

Ill join. Con law final is May 1st.

Also closed-book Con Law.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Only have 4 Crim classes left. That's mildly terrifying.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 pm

I find it terrifying that people can produce such long outlines. I'm almost done with Civ Pro, and it looks like it's going to be 20 pages, tops. I guess maybe it lends itself to a shorter outline than most other classes, but still. I don't know how I would make a 50+ page Property outline, much less use one.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:I find it terrifying that people can produce such long outlines. I'm almost done with Civ Pro, and it looks like it's going to be 20 pages, tops. I guess maybe it lends itself to a shorter outline than most other classes, but still. I don't know how I would make a 50+ page Property outline, much less use one.

All mine come out to 20 pages, more or less.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:I find it terrifying that people can produce such long outlines. I'm almost done with Civ Pro, and it looks like it's going to be 20 pages, tops. I guess maybe it lends itself to a shorter outline than most other classes, but still. I don't know how I would make a 50+ page Property outline, much less use one.

My outlines range from 25-35 pages on average. My Con Law one will be longer than average, probably around 40 pages. However, our outline bank contains outlines that are 90 pages, 106 pages, and even 190 pages for Con Law. I don't know what the fuck you would do with that on an exam.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:32 pm

memorized most of my 90 day page property outline last semester or at least knew exactly where in the outline to look for a certain type of issue. I would rather have more information than less for comfort reasons I guess. Of course I don't make my own outlines so that saves a lot of writing time which I use to cram more information into my brain.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:44 pm

anyone have a solution for a Torts class where the professor is covering the full Prosser textbook in one semester? I can't even begin to outline there is just too much material (closed book test). The E&E doesn't cover half the stuff we talk about.

traynorsbizarro

Postby traynorsbizarro » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 pm

sup gunnaz...biz here with a lil tip for doing well: turn your TV all the wayz up, TOP VOLUME! Then, turn up your ipod dock to 11z with sum gunna shit. Then, try to read the op-ep column in the nytimes. Then, and at the same time, focus on yr last sexual encounter. Then, stick some little pins in a doll made to look like your torts kingsley. Then, drink four beerz as quick as u can. Then, do pushups till your muscles fail. Repeat.

Stay tuned for Gunnerz Paradize Part V....dropping ne day now!

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:08 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

All mine come out to 20 pages, more or less.

The Draper tar makes your comment both authoritative and reassuring...thank you!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”