1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
skw

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby skw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Ah. My roommate has that. Should I drop the E&E and focus on Freer instead? I am legions behind my other classes w/r/t civpro.

I thought the e&e was super helpful. It taught me everything I know about civ pro. I bought Freer and expected to use it, but I just liked the e&e more.

I used the E&E and booked Civ Pro last semester. It is excellent. I recommend spending some time making a good PJ flowchart. That will def be a major chunk of the exam and if you're confident on that bit, you'll have more time for the other Qs.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:10 pm

skw wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Ah. My roommate has that. Should I drop the E&E and focus on Freer instead? I am legions behind my other classes w/r/t civpro.

I thought the e&e was super helpful. It taught me everything I know about civ pro. I bought Freer and expected to use it, but I just liked the e&e more.

I used the E&E and booked Civ Pro last semester. It is excellent. I recommend spending some time making a good PJ flowchart. That will def be a major chunk of the exam and if you're confident on that bit, you'll have more time for the other Qs.

Depends on your learning style. I had both and I preferred Freer.
If your roommate has freer then you could try the same subject in both books and see what you like more.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Con law. Meh. Went to soul sucking summer job meeting where we listened to some guy talk about westlaw. I chose to read over the 70 page mega outline I was gifted. After that, had super group discussion on con law and "the big picture" and went home to read Inside Con Law. Also watched the barbri videos (they aren't helpful for the structure of my class but some stuff was good review) and spent some time editing the re-written portion of my brief. I almost want to just give up on the brief. I realize things are wrong with it but I don't think additional editing hours will be worth the inevitable B. I hope things went well for everyone else today.

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:14 pm

alicrimson wrote:Con law. Meh. Went to soul sucking summer job meeting where we listened to some guy talk about westlaw. I chose to read over the 70 page mega outline I was gifted. After that, had super group discussion on con law and "the big picture" and went home to read Inside Con Law. Also watched the barbri videos (they aren't helpful for the structure of my class but some stuff was good review) and spent some time editing the re-written portion of my brief. I almost want to just give up on the brief. I realize things are wrong with it but I don't think additional editing hours will be worth the inevitable B. I hope things went well for everyone else today.

Well, it's pretty safe to say that you're a colossal gunner.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 pm

alicrimson wrote:Con law. Meh. Went to soul sucking summer job meeting where we listened to some guy talk about westlaw. I chose to read over the 70 page mega outline I was gifted. After that, had super group discussion on con law and "the big picture" and went home to read Inside Con Law. Also watched the barbri videos (they aren't helpful for the structure of my class but some stuff was good review) and spent some time editing the re-written portion of my brief. I almost want to just give up on the brief. I realize things are wrong with it but I don't think additional editing hours will be worth the inevitable B. I hope things went well for everyone else today.

When are your finals?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 pm

nice.

that's more productive than my entire week.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Lasers wrote:

nice.

that's more productive than my entire week.

:lol: me too.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:35 pm

Flips88 wrote:

When are your finals?

They start April 24th. I only do a lot of repetition because I don't naturally grasp the material easily. At this point, the heavy repetition isn't even helping in Con Law. lol. Oh man...exam season already.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 pm

did about 6 hours of reading a supplement for crim law yesterday, think I finally get this whole culpability thing. Only took 3 months!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Painfully slogging through civ pro ii. Might die. This 80 page outline that I have is a beast.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Painfully slogging through civ pro ii. Might die. This 80 page outline that I have is a beast.

I suggest you finish that thing and cut it down to a reasonable length. Some people don't realize that the benefit in doing that is two fold. First, it makes the info easy to access on the test. Second, it forces you to know the material well enough that you are comfortable getting rid of some of it.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:57 pm

drmguy wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Painfully slogging through civ pro ii. Might die. This 80 page outline that I have is a beast.

I suggest you finish that thing and cut it down to a reasonable length. Some people don't realize that the benefit in doing that is two fold. First, it makes the info easy to access on the test. Second, it forces you to know the material well enough that you are comfortable getting rid of some of it.

Yeah, thanks. I've read it through, and I'm copy/pasting relevant bits into another document with my own annotations and notes. Should still be very much shorter though, since there's a LOT of unnecessary facts up in there.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
drmguy wrote:

Yeah, thanks. I've read it through, and I'm copy/pasting relevant bits into another document with my own annotations and notes. Should still be very much shorter though, since there's a LOT of unnecessary facts up in there.

Also, civpro is a very pre-written answer friendly course.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:01 pm

drmguy wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
drmguy wrote:

Also, civpro is a very pre-written answer friendly course.

Hm, interesting. I may write some stuff up, but we can't paste into the exam, so it would be purely for exercise. Did you take civ pro II? I feel like fact patterns for rights to a jury trial or multi-party actions are so specific that the pre-written chunks couldn't be too much of the answer.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:37 pm

"Cheers" playing in the background and Property outlining. An exhilarating Saturday. I should've started outlining earlier.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:41 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Did you take civ pro II?

nope

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Didn't do very well on a midterm that's 30% of my grade. I wish I could turn this into motivation but all I want to do is lay on my couch and watch a movie.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:03 pm

Anyone else afraid?

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:05 pm

Sapientia wrote:Anyone else afraid?

Terrified. Especially after doing fairly well last semester, I feel like everything is going to go down the drain.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Pretty sure I'm going to fuck this semester up, too. I haven't been studying nearly as much as I did last semester. Getting back on track is hard. At least I'm getting laid this time around.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:06 pm

shock259 wrote:Pretty sure I'm going to fuck this semester up, too. I haven't been studying nearly as much as I did last semester. Getting back on track is hard. At least I'm getting laid this time around.

I don't know what's better, getting grades or getting laid. I just know when I'm getting one the other's getting away.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:18 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
shock259 wrote:Pretty sure I'm going to fuck this semester up, too. I haven't been studying nearly as much as I did last semester. Getting back on track is hard. At least I'm getting laid this time around.

I don't know what's better, getting grades or getting laid. I just know when I'm getting one the other's getting away.

I lol'd

GF came to visit and we saw the hunger games. Back to work tomorrow.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:30 pm

with finals 4 weeks away, I'm wondering if its a bad idea just memorizing the rules of con law from a 2L outline. I understand the material going over it, I just don't think I have time to make my own outline and even if I did there's a high chance i might just make it much less detailed than this 2L outline.. Thoughts?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:36 pm

merc280 wrote:with finals 4 weeks away, I'm wondering if its a bad idea just memorizing the rules of con law from a 2L outline. I understand the material going over it, I just don't think I have time to make my own outline and even if I did there's a high chance i might just make it much less detailed than this 2L outline.. Thoughts?

From what I've seen of people that were successful last semester this is perfectly fine. I'm not making a civpro outline.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:43 pm

yeah because it seems like all you need to do for tests like mine that are multiple choice and T/F are know the rules and how they apply to different scenarios.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”