1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYC Law

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby NYC Law » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 am

Started watching the opencourseware lectures on linear algebra. Way more interesting than studying for legreg.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:43 am

I would rather pull my two front teeth out with a pliers than do another round of finals

traynorsbizarro

Postby traynorsbizarro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 am

damn y'all sum slow learnerz....where the gunnaz fire?!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 am

So does anyone have a good resource that they know of to help study ConLaw? Something like Rich Freer did for CivPro, but with ConLaw? I have the Cherminsky book, but it's only slightly smaller than our casebook to begin with and I didn't find it that terribly helpful. I've been pulling every hornbook and supplement off the shelves of our library and have gotten some help from it. I've found CALI quizzes help a lot, but I've yet to find that one silver bullet to really make it happen.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:43 am

crossarmant wrote:So does anyone have a good resource that they know of to help study ConLaw? Something like Rich Freer did for CivPro, but with ConLaw? I have the Cherminsky book, but it's only slightly smaller than our casebook to begin with and I didn't find it that terribly helpful. I've been pulling every hornbook and supplement off the shelves of our library and have gotten some help from it. I've found CALI quizzes help a lot, but I've yet to find that one silver bullet to really make it happen.

Did you watch the conlaw barbri lecture? I actually found it really helpful. I'm not a history person and I felt like I did not get where conlaw was headed at all, but I watched and took notes into my outline off the barbri vid, then I did flashcards (closed book exam) and I did really well.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:37 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
crossarmant wrote:So does anyone have a good resource that they know of to help study ConLaw? Something like Rich Freer did for CivPro, but with ConLaw? I have the Cherminsky book, but it's only slightly smaller than our casebook to begin with and I didn't find it that terribly helpful. I've been pulling every hornbook and supplement off the shelves of our library and have gotten some help from it. I've found CALI quizzes help a lot, but I've yet to find that one silver bullet to really make it happen.

Did you watch the conlaw barbri lecture? I actually found it really helpful. I'm not a history person and I felt like I did not get where conlaw was headed at all, but I watched and took notes into my outline off the barbri vid, then I did flashcards (closed book exam) and I did really well.

No, I haven't. I'm not a member of BarBri; I went to a free Rich Freer lecture. How much is BarBri?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:53 pm

crossarmant wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:

No, I haven't. I'm not a member of BarBri; I went to a free Rich Freer lecture. How much is BarBri?

You can get to the lectures with like a $25 deposit (with no obligation later). Completely worth it btw.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:14 pm

lifestooquick wrote:You can get to the lectures with like a $25 deposit (with no obligation later). Completely worth it btw.

We're all probably going to have to enroll in barbri eventually. The deposit locks in the price (which I'd imagine will increase to a few hundred more when we graduate).

Not a barbri rep, I just think it's logical to pay the deposit, lock in the price, and take advantage of the barbri lectures and resources.

Even if your firm is going to pay for your barbri course, I don't see the harm in paying the small deposit now, the larger one 2L year, and thus locking in a good deal later--esp. if the firm gives you a bar stipend that covers living expenses and the course... use more money on bar trip.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:48 pm

How'd we do today? I knocked out the judicial and executive parts of my ConLaw outline, so I feel pretty good about that. Tomorrow is dedicated to fixing my monstrosity of a brief.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:51 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:How'd we do today? I knocked out the judicial and executive parts of my ConLaw outline, so I feel pretty good about that. Tomorrow is dedicated to fixing my monstrosity of a brief.

I'm...catching up on my Con Law reading...and...stuff.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:56 pm

I am doing nothing tonight, NOTHING! And it feels good.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:How'd we do today? I knocked out the judicial and executive parts of my ConLaw outline, so I feel pretty good about that. Tomorrow is dedicated to fixing my monstrosity of a brief.

I went shopping and out to dinner.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm

ilovesf wrote:I am doing nothing tonight, NOTHING! And it feels good.

I plan on ending at 8pm tomorrow night no matter what. Been going too late trying to catch up. Still NOTHING to show with my outlines. I think it's an improvement over last semester because at this time in November I had all my outlines done and pretty much blew my load early, sitting around and getting distracted most days because I was "on top of it." Now, I'm irreparably fucked, and it's helping me strive.../rationalization

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 pm

couple of beers in me.

trying to study. great times.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 pm

So, I started on my first supplement of law school. I hit page 80 of Acing Ks and it jumped to page 113. I think this is a sign... (then again, Amazon is awesome and is shipping me a replacement with 1-day shipping even though I've already written in this one - which I generally NEVER do...)

Also, not only were all my leg reg classes cancelled this week, I skipped my one class today (I AM sick). I then proceeded to sleep til 2pm, go out and get thai for lunch, and play with my dog at the park til 6pm.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 pm

JenDarby wrote:So, I started on my first supplement of law school. I hit page 80 of Acing Ks and it jumped to page 113. I think this is a sign... (then again, Amazon is awesome and is shipping me a replacement with 1-day shipping even though I've already written in this one - which I generally NEVER do...)

Also, not only were all my leg reg classes cancelled this week, I skipped my one class today (I AM sick). I then proceeded to sleep til 2pm, go out and get thai for lunch, and play with my dog at the park til 6pm.

Book is good though, right? I'm hoping the civ pro one works for me, cause I got zero fucking clue about that class right now.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:31 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Book is good though, right? I'm hoping the civ pro one works for me, cause I got zero fucking clue about that class right now.

I found the Glanon E&E pretty helpful in Civ Pro (then again it was my worst grade). :-/

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Book is good though, right? I'm hoping the civ pro one works for me, cause I got zero fucking clue about that class right now.

I definitely like it so far.

Flips88 wrote:I found the Glanon E&E pretty helpful in Civ Pro (then again it was my worst grade). :-/

The worst, great grade is still very good. <3 My civ pro prof is obsessed with this book and teaches straight from it, literally.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:44 pm

JenDarby wrote:

Flips88 wrote:I found the Glanon E&E pretty helpful in Civ Pro (then again it was my worst grade). :-/

The worst, great grade is still very good. <3 My civ pro prof is obsessed with this book and teaches straight from it, literally.

I felt like it sufficiently dumbed down the language to where I wasn't like this:

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 am

JenDarby wrote:

Freer

I simply outlined it cover to cover and changed it here and there to conform with my professor's preferences.

I went from having no clue 3 weeks before the test to getting an A.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Where can I find Freer?

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Where can I find Freer?

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Procedure-E ... 893&sr=8-1

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Ah. My roommate has that. Should I drop the E&E and focus on Freer instead? I am legions behind my other classes w/r/t civpro.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Ah. My roommate has that. Should I drop the E&E and focus on Freer instead? I am legions behind my other classes w/r/t civpro.

I thought the e&e was super helpful. It taught me everything I know about civ pro. I bought Freer and expected to use it, but I just liked the e&e more.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:09 pm

LOL Finals.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”