1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
marmot8

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby marmot8 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:21 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Had a GREAT weekend. Feel reloaded and ready to rock till the end of the semester. Doing this week's reading today and spending the rest working on my brief. That'll give me all the time I need to outline over the course of the week. Hoping to make it a good one.

how in the world do people read for the entire week in one day?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm

marmot8 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Had a GREAT weekend. Feel reloaded and ready to rock till the end of the semester. Doing this week's reading today and spending the rest working on my brief. That'll give me all the time I need to outline over the course of the week. Hoping to make it a good one.

Idk? Got about 10 productive hours in a day...only 3 substantive classes, and the only truly long readings are ConLaw. I review my notes from them before each class. I also don't meticulously read the cases. They provide a good background for what we are learning and I take basic facts, reasoning, and the rule out of them so I can analogize/distinguish on the test if I need to. Gives me plenty of time to read supplements/outline during the week for the rest of the semester.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm

marmot8 wrote:

This is the one thing I am great at. The only problem is then I just do nothing all week. I did all my reading for this past week last weekend then just enjoyed the weather and drank all week. This week I'm determined to outline.

This thread is already motivating me. I will now get out of bed.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:59 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Idk? Got about 10 productive hours in a day...only 3 substantive classes, and the only truly long readings are ConLaw. I review my notes from them before each class. I also don't meticulously read the cases. They provide a good background for what we are learning and I take basic facts, reasoning, and the rule out of them so I can analogize/distinguish on the test if I need to. Gives me plenty of time to read supplements/outline during the week for the rest of the semester.

I envy you. I can't do reading for 10 hours straight. I understand how you can, but I just can't concentrate for that long.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:06 pm

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Idk? Got about 10 productive hours in a day...only 3 substantive classes, and the only truly long readings are ConLaw. I review my notes from them before each class. I also don't meticulously read the cases. They provide a good background for what we are learning and I take basic facts, reasoning, and the rule out of them so I can analogize/distinguish on the test if I need to. Gives me plenty of time to read supplements/outline during the week for the rest of the semester.

I envy you. I can't do reading for 10 hours straight. I understand how you can, but I just can't concentrate for that long.

I have a focusing problem. I've started making notches on my hand for every time I get distracted and go on TLS/twitter to hold myself accountable.

CivPro usually takes around 2 hours. ConLaw about double that (takes a lot of coffee lol). Property is just fucking weird because our professor teaches the law according to him, doesn't care about the cases, and I learn EVERYTHING in class. He is an excellent teacher. I couldn't have done it last semester, four substantive classes were too many.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 pm

I have no earthly idea how to prepare for my legislation exam. Ideas?

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:47 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I have no earthly idea how to prepare for my legislation exam. Ideas?

All you need to know.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:25 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I have no earthly idea how to prepare for my legislation exam. Ideas?

All you need to know.

Sadly enough, this is ENTIRELY inapplicable to my leg reg class.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Im going into full Beast Mode starting tomorrow. First exam is April 27th.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:36 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:

All you need to know.

Hahaha, that's how I feel. Also, I was a lobbyist before law school so it's really not been very much new material for me. I think I'm feeling really blind particularly because this prof hasn't offered much as far as exam info and he's visiting so we have no practice exams.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:13 pm

gdane wrote:Im going into full Beast Mode starting tomorrow. First exam is April 27th.

Already there. Done with my brief. Completely caught up on each outline. Now just to begin doing practice problems like crazy

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm considering just ditching the casebooks and going off supplements and old outlines... I can't handle these stupid cases anymore. I hate my life right now, who thought it would be a good idea to load 1Ls with the most boring subjects with the most boring professors at the same time??? (Currently have Legislation, Contracts, and Civil Procedure... 3 hours in one night of CivPro, 3 hours in one night of Contracts... [and 2 hours at a time the other nights]).

This semester is torture. I'm pretty far behind on the readings, not feeling confident at all.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Civ Pro has been studied. The rules are a little crazy but I really like how Glannon's Guide breaks them down. Feeling better. Also have been going through the outline and things look okay. I have a meeting with my professor tomorrow to discuss the brief. I have compiled a list of questions before I go full tilt into the second write/draft. I hope its helpful. I intend to work an hour a day during the week days and 2 hours a day on the weekend on the brief. I have finished the initial draft so that should be enough time between now and the 16th...I hope.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Sapientia wrote:
gdane wrote:Im going into full Beast Mode starting tomorrow. First exam is April 27th.

Already there. Done with my brief. Completely caught up on each outline. Now just to begin doing practice problems like crazy

Wow. Congratulations. My hope is to have my appellate brief done by next week and to have all my readings and outlines done no later than April 20th. I can have Crim Pro and Civ Pro II done within 2 weeks, but Contracts and Con Law are going to be the bitches.

Good luck to everyone!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:06 pm

NYC Law wrote:This semester is torture. I'm pretty far behind on the readings, not feeling confident at all.

Agreed. 100%

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:12 pm

NYC Law wrote:This semester is torture. I'm pretty far behind on the readings, not feeling confident at all.

+10923O84Y2387432074f7u12 to this.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Guchster wrote:

+10923O84Y2387432074f7u12 to this.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 am

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 am

Guchster wrote:Image

This is so cute.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:42 am

That's about right! Especially with the email containing a happy surprise of four makeup classes when I got back from vacation. :-/

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 am

An open letter to con lawl:

STOP RUINING MY LIFE!

srsly, my god, JUST STOP

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:02 am

Guchster wrote:Image

Same could be said if it was January, February, March then April.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 am

Guchster wrote:An open letter to con property lawl:

STOP RUINING MY LIFE!

srsly, my god, JUST STOP

fix'd for myself

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:10 am

you all will be fine. srsly. you will all kill spring finals and look back at this crazy experience and laugh.

i, however, will not share that same fortune.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Guchster wrote:An open letter to con property contracts lawl:

STOP RUINING MY LIFE!

srsly, my god, JUST STOP

fix'd for myself

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”