1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FeelTheHeat

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 am

alicrimson wrote:
Approach it like a closed book test but a one to two page attack outline with an issue checklist is always a wise idea if its allowed.

My exams this semester: property, con blaw (both 8 and 6 hour take homes...kill me), and civ pro (four hour open book/note. teacher says was written to be finished in three. sure. three)

I was told the same thing, and the girl that booked it took all four hours. I know because I sat near her...not buying that for a second this year lol

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:10 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
Approach it like a closed book test but a one to two page attack outline with an issue checklist is always a wise idea if its allowed.

My exams this semester: property, con blaw (both 8 and 6 hour take homes...kill me), and civ pro (four hour open book/note. teacher says was written to be finished in three. sure. three)

I was told the same thing, and the girl that booked it took all four hours. I know because I sat near her...not buying that for a second this year lol

I barely/questionably finished all of my exams last semester including a three hour multiple choice professional responsibility exam. Early finishing? Don't make me laugh. I wish con law and the like were in class. This long take home business raises the bar in terms of writing significantly which is bad news bears in the alicrimson camp.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 am

alicrimson wrote:I barely/questionably finished all of my exams last semester including a three hour multiple choice professional responsibility exam. Early finishing? Don't make me laugh. I wish con law and the like were in class. This long take home business raises the bar in terms of writing significantly which is bad news bears in the alicrimson camp.

I'm with you on the take home logic...my property one is that and I'm not looking forward to it at all. It seems to be a real wild card...I plan on going HARD after CivPro, I'm a grinder by nature (not that intelligent lol) and rules classes seem more conducive to my success

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:33 am

ph14 wrote:
Sapientia wrote:All of mine last semester were closed book, and I did great. This semester, they're all open book, and I'm confused on how to approach them. Anyone have any tips for open book tests?

Yep: approach them like a closed book test.

Disagree. Personally, I would focus less on memorization and more on knowing your outline. Prepare a thoroughly tabbed outline for each open book test. You will study well simply by creating the outline. Then, take several practice exams using the exact outline you plan to use. The key IMO is to get fast at using your outline, which relieves some of the pressure of rote memorization and lets you focus a bit more study time on the policies behind the black letter. This ought to lead to better crafted arguments, and higher exam scores.

PP suggesting checklists is absolutely credited. If allowed, these should be included as part of your outline. Also, if any of the open book exams are Crim or Ks, tab the living hell out of your penal code and UCC.

I think 1L Soup To Nuts distinguished the approaches well here. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157830&hilit=+guide Scroll down to "A Word Or Two On Exams."

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:40 am

Cade McNown wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Sapientia wrote:All of mine last semester were closed book, and I did great. This semester, they're all open book, and I'm confused on how to approach them. Anyone have any tips for open book tests?

Yep: approach them like a closed book test.

Disagree. Personally, I would focus less on memorization and more on knowing your outline. Prepare a thoroughly tabbed outline for each open book test. You will study well simply by creating the outline. Then, take several practice exams using the exact outline you plan to use. The key IMO is to get fast at using your outline, which relieves some of the pressure of rote memorization and lets you focus a bit more study time on the policies behind the black letter. This ought to lead to better crafted arguments, and higher exam scores.

PP suggesting checklists is absolutely credited. If allowed, these should be included as part of your outline. Also, if any of the open book exams are Crim or Ks, tab the living hell out of your penal code and UCC.

I think 1L Soup To Nuts distinguished the approaches well here. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157830&hilit=+guide Scroll down to "A Word Or Two On Exams."

i think a combination of the two approaches are correct. memorize the basics and a lot of the broader ideas so you save time rather than always referring to your outline for every little thing. however, everything else the scrub qb says is credited.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:03 am

seems like there are a couple people here also sharing my pain in conlaw.

i'm totally behind on everything in that class. i'm not even planning on outlining; i just don't see the benefit.

my test is closed book with one page of notes allowed.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but:

Best flashcards for Torts?

OR

Best software to make flashcards?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:28 pm

I've just assessed the situation for finals: ok/fine on two (Property and elective) and hopelessly lost in ConLaw and CivPro II. I tried to start outlining for ConLaw, and it's such a muddle I don't even know how to start putting it in sections...

skw

Postby skw » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Jessuf wrote:I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but:

OR

http://www.flashcardmachine.com

For $5, you get unlimited iPhone flips -- you get 50 or so free flips before you have to pay. You can use the online tool for free though with no limit, I think. LOVE the iPhone app. I make my cards by copying and pasting my outline, which is fast and not a lot of extra work. Then I have them with me to study whenever I have a few spare minutes. If you're doing multiple courses, try using a prefix to group your cards, or it can get unruly to find what you're looking for once you get lots of flashcard sets.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:28 pm

skw wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but:

OR

http://www.flashcardmachine.com

For $5, you get unlimited iPhone flips -- you get 50 or so free flips before you have to pay. You can use the online tool for free though with no limit, I think. LOVE the iPhone app. I make my cards by copying and pasting my outline, which is fast and not a lot of extra work. Then I have them with me to study whenever I have a few spare minutes. If you're doing multiple courses, try using a prefix to group your cards, or it can get unruly to find what you're looking for once you get lots of flashcard sets.

Thanks - will definitely check this out! I like the idea of using my phone instead of actual paper flashcards.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:56 pm

conlaw will be the end of me. and why, at the end of the semester, is he giving us more reading a night than before? i hate this dude.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 pm

ilovesf wrote:conlaw will be the end of me. and why, at the end of the semester, is he giving us more reading a night than before? i hate this dude.

Con Law is my least favorite class ever. We are assigned a million cases everyday, and we haven't even hit anything interesting related to the Bill of Rights. All of the other sections have heated discussions about controversial subjects, but there isn't really anything controversial/exciting about dormant commerce clause.

skw

Postby skw » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:conlaw will be the end of me. and why, at the end of the semester, is he giving us more reading a night than before? i hate this dude.

THIS. 100% this!

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Jessuf wrote:

Con Law is my least favorite class ever. We are assigned a million cases everyday, and we haven't even hit anything interesting related to the Bill of Rights. All of the other sections have heated discussions about controversial subjects, but there isn't really anything controversial/exciting about dormant commerce clause.

Joining the "I Hate Con Law Fan Club." We've hit commerce clause, dormant commerce clause, equal protection clause and 5th/14th amendment due process. And class discussion is non-existent; it's pretty much a lecture. He cold calls people for one word answers (not an exaggeration--literally one word answers). And most of his analysis of the doctrines is done through metaphors, allegories, syllogisms and references to 16th century literature. The fuck?

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Joining the "I Hate Con Law Fan Club." We've hit commerce clause, dormant commerce clause, equal protection clause and 5th/14th amendment due process. And class discussion is non-existent; it's pretty much a lecture. He cold calls people for one word answers (not an exaggeration--literally one word answers). And most of his analysis of the doctrines is done through metaphors, allegories, syllogisms and references to 16th century literature. The fuck?

In the same boat more or less. It seems more like a history lecture than a law school class. I'm stressing out about it and feel completely overwhelmed, I don't even know where to start with the exam. Property makes sense, Crim makes some sense, but ConLaw?

How I feel doing ConLaw studying:
--ImageRemoved--

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Hearing you guys hate on con law, I've been swayed not to sign up for it for next semester.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Hearing you guys hate on con law, I've been swayed not to sign up for it for next semester.

Really? I don't love it, but I couldn't really imagine not learning it at all.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Well, I suppose I should start outlining this weekend. Can't believe 1L almost over.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:51 pm

St. Patty's was the last hoorah. Buckling down starts now. No more drinking except for 1 more weekend of the semester makes me a sad panda....but it's only 1.5 more months of hell.

Trying to finish 2 papers by Friday night and then I'll be done with 1 of my 4 classes for the year

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 pm

beachbum wrote:Can't believe 1L almost over.

i can't believe 1L is still going. it's a nightmare that never ends.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Lasers wrote:

Honestly, I really don't think it's been as bad as people made it out to be. It sucks at times, sure, but I still generally have time for things outside of school, and I'm not the walking shitshow of stress that I thought I'd be. But I'm still ready to finish out the year and get to finding a job.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Lasers wrote:

when is your oral argument? soo excited for moot court to be over this week.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 pm

beachbum wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Honestly, I really don't think it's been as bad as people made it out to be. It sucks at times, sure, but I still generally have time for things outside of school, and I'm not the walking shitshow of stress that I thought I'd be. But I'm still ready to finish out the year and get to finding a job.

check in again at the end of april.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Guchster wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Lasers wrote:

check in again at the end of april.

Yeah, finals are definitely rough. And so is the week or two around the memo/brief. But I've done all this stuff once already (twice in the case of LARW), and I still think, overall, 1L isn't this crazy lesson in stress that some people make it out to be. It's definitely tough, but it's far from unbearable.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Finals prep is a go. Today I read two units of property supplement, did two chapters of the Estates and Future Interests workbook/supplement, went through the outline once, and did 4 Cali Lessons. Hurray property day! Also, had law review tutoring. I think if this kind of a schedule can be maintained with a different class daily and practice tests ~3 weeks out, I will be in good shape. Now the brief, on the other hand, that might be a problem. I just can't get motivated. I suppose this weekend I will really go to work on it starting Friday morning. I have done the initial draft, received comments, and have a meeting with my prof scheduled Monday. Not due until the 16th. Plenty of time to put together something atleast B+ worthy. I'm not doing the B in writing classes. That is out. I hope everyone else has had a productive day or atleast a good one.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”