1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FeelTheHeat

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Rules-wise those are the only ones we've done, a TON of the class was spent on PJ & SMJ.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:36 pm

The exam prep continues...well, starts. We get our appellate brief draft back tomorrow. Mine is probably awful and is probably marked entirely in red. Good thing it isn't graded. I'm still not in love with my legal writing courses. The others are coming along...ish...I stuck to the study plan today: 2 supplement units, 4 cali lessons, review of outline, and Arthur Miller lecture. I love repetition.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:46 pm

From here on out I will be doing all my reading on Sat/Sun and quickly reviewing it before classes. The rest of the time will be spent with supplements, outlining, and practice. I'm behind, but unlike last semester where I burnt out after three months I haven't done SHIT so far and am really excited to learn. Hope it works.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:17 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Guys, any advice on Civ Pro besides the E & E, Acing Civ Pro, and practice problems? Same for Con Law and Chemerinski? My finals are essays this semester, which make me feel good because those are the ones I did well in for fall.

By essays do you mean issue spotters?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:21 am

Sapientia wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Guys, any advice on Civ Pro besides the E & E, Acing Civ Pro, and practice problems? Same for Con Law and Chemerinski? My finals are essays this semester, which make me feel good because those are the ones I did well in for fall.

By essays do you mean issue spotters?

Yes, unless the professors do different than they have in the past. It's ConLaw, CivPro, and Property for me.

To those interested, I feel I had an excellent attack outline for Ks, and it was my sole A last semester. I'll pass it along if you'd like (it's Restatement heavy).

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:22 am

Ugh, here we go again :/ I've been in denial about having to do this exam crap again.

What's everyone got this semester? For me it's Contracts, Con Law, Property and Legislation. Any resources for any of them is welcome and appreciated <3

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 am

Civ Pro - Richard Freer FTW!!! His BarBri video lectures are fantastic, as is his supplement.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:27 am

I've got contracts, con law, crim law and immigration. I understand nothing in con law and it's a closed book test. The thought of it makes me kind of want to die.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 am

ilovesf wrote:I've got contracts, con law, crim law and immigration. I understand nothing in con law and it's a closed book test. The thought of it makes me kind of want to die.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I've got contracts, con law, crim law and immigration. I understand nothing in con law and it's a closed book test. The thought of it makes me kind of want to die.

Don't have to take con law :wink:. Probably will anyways though :cry:.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

I know, I'm so screwed.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 am

I keep putting off starting my ConLaw because I am so fucking horrified of realizing how much I don't know. The lone thing I got going is that the test supposedly was pretty easy last year.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 am

Found out on Friday that my Property final is closed book. FML.

And my Con Law is a 28-hour take home :/

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:31 am

lifestooquick wrote:Found out on Friday that my Property final is closed book. FML.

:?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 am

lifestooquick wrote:Found out on Friday that my Property final is closed book. FML.

My immigration is a take home test too. I hate take home tests, not looking forward to it at all.
My property was closed book last semester... good luck with that.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:I keep putting off starting my ConLaw because I am so fucking horrified of realizing how much I don't know. The lone thing I got going is that the test supposedly was pretty easy last year.

I am inevitably doomed in con lawl. but i plan on going down with a fight. unfortunately, right now I know nothing.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 am

ilovesf wrote:

My immigration is a take home test too. I hate take home tests, not looking forward to it at all.

28 hour take home...jeeeeeez. I actually like take homes, i'd much rather work from home than be in a room with 80 furiously typing law students. But 28 hours is a bit much. Please say it is word limited?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:39 am

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

28 hour take home...jeeeeeez. I actually like take homes, i'd much rather work from home than be in a room with 80 furiously typing law students. But 28 hours is a bit much. Please say it is word limited?

If it isn't, that's grounds for the teacher's immediate arrest

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 am

All of mine last semester were closed book, and I did great. This semester, they're all open book, and I'm confused on how to approach them. Anyone have any tips for open book tests?
Last edited by Sapientia on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

If it isn't, that's grounds for the teacher's immediate arrest

+1. At least you could get revenge by turning in your 100 page treatise on constitutional law.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 am

Sapientia wrote:All of mine last semester were closed book, and I did great. This semester, they're all open book, and I'm confused on how to approach them. Anyone have any tips for open book tests?

Yep: approach them like a closed book test.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:43 am

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Yes, it's word limited, thank goodness. I fully intend on actually sleeping...but I know some people won't.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 am

ph14 wrote:
Sapientia wrote:All of mine last semester were closed book, and I did great. This semester, they're all open book, and I'm confused on how to approach them. Anyone have any tips for open book tests?

I've heard this as well, and plan to do the same.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Nice. This makes sense. Hopefully, no one else does this. Geez, I'm such a gunner.

Anyone else have advice?

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:06 am

Sapientia wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Nice. This makes sense. Hopefully, no one else does this. Geez, I'm such a gunner.

Anyone else have advice?

Approach it like a closed book test but a one to two page attack outline with an issue checklist is always a wise idea if its allowed.

My exams this semester: property, con blaw (both 8 and 6 hour take homes...kill me), and civ pro (four hour open book/note. teacher says was written to be finished in three. sure. three)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”