1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesteelers

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby thesteelers » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:04 pm

4,900 words in 3 hours. Good?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 pm

thesteelers wrote:4,900 words in 3 hours. Good?

Did you keep repeating versions of "it depends"?

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:All my exams are takehome. No classmates to witness.

thats actually kind of sad :/ i found some guy crying in like a back doorway of the school after property.. although i actually did feel kinda bad for him but why work yourself up about it to that level ya know? things could be much worse so i threw him a "dont worry about it man.. nobody knew what was going on"

this was at BC on Tuesday?

No, I just typed like a lunatic.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Just pulled a 6000er in a 2 hr. exam. I am exhausted. Gave me a bit of a confidence booster knowing half the class left with 30 min. to go.
Last edited by adonai on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:13 pm

adonai wrote:Just pulled a 6000er in a 2 hr. exam. I am exhausted.

WHAT.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:14 pm

thesteelers wrote:

WHAT.

There were literally 20+ issues, for what it's worth. I'm not even sure I spotted all of them, either.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 pm

adonai wrote:
thesteelers wrote:

WHAT.

There were literally 20+ issues, for what it's worth. I'm not even sure I spotted all of them, either.

Crazy. I pulled over 6k twice (first and last exams) but the exams were three hours. Still don't think I hit every issue either there were so many in both exams (torts and contracts).

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:23 pm

does anyone know if there are any flowcharts available for parol evidence rules?

we spent so much time on the rule that I am assuming there will be something on the exam, need to drill it into my head cold

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Writing a lot can be good, but don't congratulate yourself too much. During my 1L year I dumped 11.5k words for a 4 hour tort final, and rode the median to a B+.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:25 pm

you know it's finals when you go to the bathroom and there is someone taking a crap while on their laptop.

that was a new one...

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:05 pm

thegrayman wrote:you know it's finals when you go to the bathroom and there is someone taking a crap while on their laptop.

that was a new one...

I hope this really happened.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:08 pm

5ky wrote:Writing a lot can be good, but don't congratulate yourself too much. During my 1L year I dumped 11.5k words for a 4 hour tort final, and rode the median to a B+.

I'm definitely not, especially cause it was a pretty easy test (at least to me). I have just never typed that much in such little time in my life. But then again the midterm for this class was "pretty easy" and I got an A. 11.5k is just nuts. Is that even humanly possible while staying coherent?
Last edited by adonai on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:09 pm

thesteelers wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:All my exams are takehome. No classmates to witness.

thats actually kind of sad :/ i found some guy crying in like a back doorway of the school after property.. although i actually did feel kinda bad for him but why work yourself up about it to that level ya know? things could be much worse so i threw him a "dont worry about it man.. nobody knew what was going on"

this was at BC on Tuesday?

No, I just typed like a lunatic.

Yep.. BC.. one.. exam.. left.. cant.. study

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 pm

cinephile wrote:
thegrayman wrote:you know it's finals when you go to the bathroom and there is someone taking a crap while on their laptop.

that was a new one...

I hope this really happened.

yeah I heard both telltale signs, clacking and crapping. wtf?!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:03 pm

thegrayman wrote:
yeah I heard both telltale signs, clacking and crapping. wtf?!

Wait, I misunderstood. I thought they took a crap on their laptop.

But writing an exam while pooping is cool too.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Finals over, it's a miracle if I end up above median, but alcohol is what makes miracles possible! Time to get drunk!

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:30 pm

5ky wrote:Writing a lot can be good, but don't congratulate yourself too much. During my 1L year I dumped 11.5k words for a 4 hour tort final, and rode the median to a B+.

This is disconcerting. Was everyone's analysis better, or did they write more? Really counting on my high word count in torts to pull me through.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:40 pm

0LNewbie wrote:

This is disconcerting. Was everyone's analysis better, or did they write more? Really counting on my high word count in torts to pull me through.

It's possible to write a high quantity of wrong and shitty stuff.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Why did I come home? My parents are fighting in the next room. :/

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:

Yes, this is true. I'd say my analysis suffered because of the length, for certain. It's Torts, so it wasn't really "wrong," but it can be weak. There's no way others typed significantly more than 12k, so their analysis was likely better. Also, I later found out the professor used a sort of +/- system, where you would be docked a few points if you spent too much time on insignificant points, which I certainly did. This falls under "weak analysis" to me, since I did a poor job making the implicit determination between what was and was not important.

Postby 071816 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:51 pm

beachbum wrote:Done with finals. Good luck to everyone still going. Time for a beer and a nap.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:52 pm

that was a new one...

Yeah, I walked into the bathroom during one of the finals and saw a guy standing at the urinal, exam in hand, going over the fact patterns. Seriously.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:

that was a new one...

Yeah, I walked into the bathroom during one of the finals and saw a guy standing at the urinal, exam in hand, going over the fact patterns. Seriously.

You guys are allowed to take tests outside of the room? Is this just some honor code thing?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:59 pm

5ky wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:

Yes, this is true. I'd say my analysis suffered because of the length, for certain. It's Torts, so it wasn't really "wrong," but it can be weak. There's no way others typed significantly more than 12k, so their analysis was likely better. Also, I later found out the professor used a sort of +/- system, where you would be docked a few points if you spent too much time on insignificant points, which I certainly did. This falls under "weak analysis" to me, since I did a poor job making the implicit determination between what was and was not important.

It really isn't cool to use a +/- system on a torts exam. Come on.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 pm

adonai wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

that was a new one...

You guys are allowed to take tests outside of the room? Is this just some honor code thing?

Yeah, it's pretty nice. I've been able to take my finals on the other side of the building with only a few other people in the room. It does wonders to reduce stress during the exam.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”