1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Richie Tenenbaum

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:34 am

swissalps007 wrote:Gotta a pretty general criminal law question that I'm hoping someone will help me out with. In considering mental states: is it safe to say that the Model Penal Code mental states of purposely and knowingly are equal to specific intent, while recklessly and and negligently are general intent? If NOT, why? Just trying to get the notion of specif and general intent straight, considering also the 4 mental states.

Thanks!

Matching up the four mental states with specific intent and general intent can be a nightmare, especially because specific intent/general intent can have multiple meanings. But what you said is probably the predominant view on how they match up (Dressler mentions this in Understanding Criminal Law...If I remember correctly he says some views are that SI=P and GI=K,R, but the predominant view was probably SI=P,K and GI=R). It gets to be even more of a nightmare when considering attendant circumstances, because the previous match-ups are for conduct/result. The bad news is that I don't think there is any consensus on what matches with AC (and it may be different depending on the crime). Our prof stuck with the idea that SI=P with regard to conduct/result and K with regard to AC, but I don't think this is a widely accepted view. If your teacher mentioned anything that says differently than this, go with that though. If you're not sure what your professor wants and this comes up on the exam just argue multiple ways.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:43 am

2 exams down, just one more to go - torts on Monday.

So far I honestly have no idea how I'm doing. But I guess that's how everyone feels. I could be top 10% so far, I could be bottom 5%. Nothing would surprise me.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:59 am

Thanks!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 am

NYC Law wrote:2 exams down, just one more to go - torts on Monday.

So far I honestly have no idea how I'm doing. But I guess that's how everyone feels. I could be top 10% so far, I could be bottom 5%. Nothing would surprise me.

While I don't think I'll be bottom 5%, I could either be knocking everything out of the ball park or I could be doing below median. I feel mildly confident about my performance so far and I did well on my one mid-term, but I also feel like my confidence is likely some misplaced hubris.

Last final in 3 hours... Way to go Scumbag Brain: "You have a final and then a 4 hour drive? How about we don't let you sleep tonight. Tossing in bed frustratingly is pretty fun, right?"

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:29 am

why dont you drive tomorrow?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:33 am

I swear waiting for these things to start is the worst.... I just want to take it now! :x I can't look at my outline for another 45 minutes...

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:35 am

In the room waiting for crim to start. Bring it on Dressler!

...reviewing my freaking handwritten-into-my-book outline (stupid no printed materials other than casebook rule).

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 am

bostonlawchick wrote:I swear waiting for these things to start is the worst.... I just want to take it now! :x I can't look at my outline for another 45 minutes...

+1

In the library waiting for the take-home exam to become available at 10am. I'm just so ready to get this over with. I'm not going to learn anything more in the next 30 minutes of reviewing notes I haven't learned in the last 3.5 months.

northwood wrote:why dont you drive tomorrow?

I told my fiancee I'd be down tonight. After 4 months of living away and only visiting like 3 times, I feel like I owe it to her to be down there as soon as I can.

rawrab

Postby rawrab » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 am

My question got lost in the sauce I'll try again

Adverse possession question - if someone is adversely possessing land and the owner sells it to someone does the statue of limitations stop and reset?

Thanks!

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 am

rawrab wrote:My question got lost in the sauce I'll try again

Adverse possession question - if someone is adversely possessing land and the owner sells it to someone does the statue of limitations stop and reset?

Thanks!

I would feel 'tack'-y answering this question.

I'll stop the lulz and CEASE MY CYBER BULLYING NOW!

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 am

rawrab wrote:My question got lost in the sauce I'll try again

Thanks!

No. When the owner conveys the land the SOL continues running. The exception is if someone holds a future interest, the SOL doesn't start running as to them until their interest is realized.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 am

crossarmant wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I'm so done with this semester... I don't want to put in the next few hours of work for Contracts tomorrow. I just want to play Skyrim until my eyes bleed.... 18 more hours...

I kept myself from buying it before exams were over because I knew that it would destroy my grades. But my Xbox is getting a serious workout over Christmas break.

Doing the same. I've only got a few more measly hours until I wave goodbye to this world. I RedBoxed Skyrim for PS3 in mid-Nov. Put in 22.5 hours in the 24 hours I had it for. That's when I knew I could not buy it until break and now I've only a few more hours until I can not give a fuck about working for 3 weeks.

I kept from buying it until after my 2nd exam. BUT, between property and Ks (3 days) I logged 14 hours. So, I guess I pretty much did the Ks curve a favor.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:38 am

I've totally shot myself in the foot now... after a hideous exam on Wednesday I got ridiculously drunk and now am frantically trying to get rid of this mega hangover so I can do some studying before Tuesday's civ pro exam. Any tips? lol

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 am

piccolittle wrote:I've totally shot myself in the foot now... after a hideous exam on Wednesday I got ridiculously drunk and now am frantically trying to get rid of this mega hangover so I can do some studying before Tuesday's civ pro exam. Any tips? lol

Also dealing with a hangover. I think the best thing to do is drink as much water as you can, then go back to bed until the hiccups go away.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am

Kabuo wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I'm so done with this semester... I don't want to put in the next few hours of work for Contracts tomorrow. I just want to play Skyrim until my eyes bleed.... 18 more hours...

I kept myself from buying it before exams were over because I knew that it would destroy my grades. But my Xbox is getting a serious workout over Christmas break.

Doing the same. I've only got a few more measly hours until I wave goodbye to this world. I RedBoxed Skyrim for PS3 in mid-Nov. Put in 22.5 hours in the 24 hours I had it for. That's when I knew I could not buy it until break and now I've only a few more hours until I can not give a fuck about working for 3 weeks.

I kept from buying it until after my 2nd exam. BUT, between property and Ks (3 days) I logged 14 hours. So, I guess I pretty much did the Ks curve a favor.

LOL. Winning.

Also, studying for Crim sucks, and I say this as someone who's interested in criminal law. All this MPC vs. common law, mens rea/general intent/specific intent/collateral purpose elements/mistake of criminal law/mistake of non-criminal law/etc. BS is ridiculously messy.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Posted this in a different thread too, but would anyone be willing to lend me their BarBri account for a few hours so I can watch the Freer civ pro lecture? I have absolutely no idea what is going on in this class. PM me if you are willing; I'll be forever indebted! :)

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:23 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Also, studying for Crim sucks, and I say this as someone who's interested in criminal law. All this MPC vs. common law, mens rea/general intent/specific intent/collateral purpose elements/mistake of criminal law/mistake of non-criminal law/etc. BS is ridiculously messy.

Yep. That's why torts is easier; the mens rea is nothing compared to Crim.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:50 pm

3 down, 1 left on Mon. I'd be satisfied with median. *prays for 1.5 Hs*

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:55 pm

ALL DONE! At last! Just got done with a hellish 5 hour long take home exam for Contracts... 6200 word count. I feel like the goddamn Ayn Rand of law school exams. Self interested ramblings of political musing that go on for fucking ever.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:33 pm

So this girl in my class who always seemed nice and mature and well put together before today pretty much lost her shit right before the exam and got really upset, freaking out that the professor was going to murder her. Not like the exam was going to be difficult, but as though the professor would actually kill her. It was weird, and came out of nowhere.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

cinephile wrote:So this girl in my class who always seemed nice and mature and well put together before today pretty much lost her shit right before the exam and got really upset, freaking out that the professor was going to murder her. Not like the exam was going to be difficult, but as though the professor would actually kill her. It was weird, and came out of nowhere.

More details.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:37 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
cinephile wrote:So this girl in my class who always seemed nice and mature and well put together before today pretty much lost her shit right before the exam and got really upset, freaking out that the professor was going to murder her. Not like the exam was going to be difficult, but as though the professor would actually kill her. It was weird, and came out of nowhere.

More details.

Agreed

I dont think I'm doing too hot on my exams thus far.. but I have greatly enjoyed other peoples reactions to them

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:40 pm

A bunch of us were talking about ways to insert humor casually into an exam answer and then she just started freaking out. I'd never seen her like this either because she's always so calm. It really didn't seem like she was afraid the professor would fail her for joking in an answer -- her voice was so cold and serious when she said he'd murder us for joking on an exam.

ETA, re:BlueDiamond, it's made me like my classmates less. Which is too bad.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:41 pm

All my exams are takehome. No classmates to witness.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:47 pm

acrossthelake wrote:All my exams are takehome. No classmates to witness.

thats actually kind of sad :/ i found some guy crying in like a back doorway of the school after property.. although i actually did feel kinda bad for him but why work yourself up about it to that level ya know? things could be much worse so i threw him a "dont worry about it man.. nobody knew what was going on"

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”