1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shock259

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby shock259 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:25 pm

So mad right now.

Our professor gave us the exact same exam that she gave last year. I know this because she gave this as a sample exam, ALONG WITH AN OUTLINE FOR THE RESPONSE AND WITH MODEL ANSWERS.

what the fuck.

I feel like I did well on it, but I'm sure everyone else did too. How could you not if you looked at the old exam? It laid out everything. And the student answers solidified it all. All you have to do is regurgitate.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Just finished my last exam. I have absolutely no idea how I did on them (my prediction: not well), so grades will be a fun little surprise.

Good luck to everyone still going through exams.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 pm

shock259 wrote:So mad right now.

Our professor gave us the exact same exam that she gave last year. I know this because she gave this as a sample exam, ALONG WITH AN OUTLINE FOR THE RESPONSE AND WITH MODEL ANSWERS.

what the fuck.

I feel like I did well on it, but I'm sure everyone else did too. How could you not if you looked at the old exam? It laid out everything. And the student answers solidified it all. All you have to do is regurgitate.

Wow, that's terrible. At least you know you got the answer right, yeah? <__<

I think I did badly this morning. One of the questions was really general and I think my bullshitting skills have gone downhill since UG.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Pretty sure I did badly today. Missed an issue and wrote about something that didn't apply.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 pm

First exam done! I feel good about it :)

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 pm

what the fuck.

Wait, you're in my class then. I came on here to post this.

I'm mad at myself for not writing out answers to that exam, not mad at her. I think it was fair, she posted it + everyone knew it was there.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 pm

what the fuck.

If this really happened its egregious misconduct on the professor's behalf and you should report it.

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 pm

LeDique wrote:

what the fuck.

Wait, you're in my class then. I came on here to post this.

I'm mad at myself for not writing out answers to that exam, not mad at her. I think it was fair, she posted it + everyone knew it was there.

isnt that some sort of violation of your law school code or something?

I remember last year a big group of 1Ls reported a professor who gave the same exam as a practice exam on the internet

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I have no idea if it's against any rule - apparently it happened with an upper-level course last year, but I have no idea what the fallout from that was exactly. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple people about that.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:
isnt that some sort of violation of your law school code or something?

I remember last year a big group of 1Ls reported a professor who gave the same exam as a practice exam on the internet

That was at Penn. It was a BFD

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:I remember last year a big group of 1Ls reported a professor who gave the same exam as a practice exam on the internet

Also, was it just one available on the internet, or one the professor made available? I think those should be distinguished..

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Done with my 1st. No idea really how I did, trying not to think about it.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm mad at her because this sort of thing does not let students distinguish themselves. It just tests regurgitation skills. Like I mentioned before, everyone is going to write the same crap down, and I'm worried that grades are going to be extremely arbitrary because everyone will hit all of the issues and everyone will analyze them in the same way.

And I emailed a dean about it. I'll keep the thread updated..

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:28 pm

DONE. :shock:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Our library website with all of the old exams has been down for the last 3 days. WTF IS THIS?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:43 pm

2nd exam done. Feeling cautiously optimistic. That's pretty stupid about the prof reusing last year's exam. Was kind of afraid this prof would do that, but it was surprisingly original.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:59 pm

shock259 wrote:I'm mad at her because this sort of thing does not let students distinguish themselves. It just tests regurgitation skills. Like I mentioned before, everyone is going to write the same crap down, and I'm worried that grades are going to be extremely arbitrary because everyone will hit all of the issues and everyone will analyze them in the same way.

Thats outrageous. I would be pissed, because if thats the only thing someone did the night before the exam and that was the exam, then it would be fresh in their head and could possibly score higher than someone who busted their ass studying for it.

Good luck man.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
shock259 wrote:I'm mad at her because this sort of thing does not let students distinguish themselves. It just tests regurgitation skills. Like I mentioned before, everyone is going to write the same crap down, and I'm worried that grades are going to be extremely arbitrary because everyone will hit all of the issues and everyone will analyze them in the same way.

Thats outrageous. I would be pissed, because if thats the only thing someone did the night before the exam and that was the exam, then it would be fresh in their head and could possibly score higher than someone who busted their ass studying for it.

Good luck man.

Yeah, but, I could have also busted my ass studying only the topics that appeared on the exam and not bothered studying anything else. That's just luck, it's not unfair. It's not like this sample exam was something only some students had access to either. In the Penn one, it was something only some students found online. Everyone knew this one was online. Everyone knew where they could find it and take it if they wanted to.

Do I think she should have done it? No. Do I see a huge fairness issue either? No. Am I unhappy this happened in my class? Yes.

ETA: Actually there is one large fairness issue, I could have printed my practice exam answer and brought it in with me.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Torts professor made 2.5/3 questions of pure policy. Probably a giant "f u" to everyone because we were focusing on BLL.

All the 2Ls and 3L were telling us to just focus on BLL since the past 2 exams were 2 issue spotters and 1 policy questions, and they said that the policy question was really easy to BS. But apparently our professor was mad about that or something because our entire exam fit on 3/4 of 1 page.

Oh well, no more torts ever again. Hooray!

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:30 pm

dabomb75 wrote:LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Torts professor made 2.5/3 questions of pure policy. Probably a giant "f u" to everyone because we were focusing on BLL.

All the 2Ls and 3L were telling us to just focus on BLL since the past 2 exams were 2 issue spotters and 1 policy questions, and they said that the policy question was really easy to BS. But apparently our professor was mad about that or something because our entire exam fit on 3/4 of 1 page.

Oh well, no more torts ever again. Hooray!

lol. So why punish the class for learning the law?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Just got an email from one of my professors for next semester telling us about our casebook and saying he'll be emailing us our first assignment next week. Ugh. I don't want to think about next semester yet, man. It could have waited til January.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Took my first exam today.... honestly, I feel I did okay but my section is full of geniuses who go hard on the studying. So I don't know... feels good to get the first one over with though.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:40 pm

well. i did terrible.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:05 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Just got an email from one of my professors for next semester telling us about our casebook and saying he'll be emailing us our first assignment next week. Ugh. I don't want to think about next semester yet, man. It could have waited til January.

I got my first assignment a couple of days ago ;)

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:23 pm

May the gods of law school protect me tomorrow.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”