1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
booboo

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby booboo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Dany wrote:One of my professors from Yale said it's honestly the easiest three years of your life. I mean, if you're there and gunning for SCOTUS clerkships it's much harder because you make it harder, but he said you can pretty much do nothing for three years and just pick a biglaw firm. IF ONLY.

I mean, I guess people that wanted to be lazy during law school wouldn't get in in the first place, but still.

LOL @ Yale Professor. Students there can go pick flowers for their entire semester.

I'm not sure why I thought about picking flowers.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:19 pm

booboo wrote:
Dany wrote:One of my professors from Yale said it's honestly the easiest three years of your life. I mean, if you're there and gunning for SCOTUS clerkships it's much harder because you make it harder, but he said you can pretty much do nothing for three years and just pick a biglaw firm. IF ONLY.

I mean, I guess people that wanted to be lazy during law school wouldn't get in in the first place, but still.

LOL @ Yale Professor. Students there can go pick flowers for their entire semester.

I love my school, but you have no idea how many times this semester I have wished I was at Yale. Those guys can't handle real law school, though 8)

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:26 pm

booboo wrote:

Pictured: Torts Final

--ImageRemoved--

ClutchCity24

Postby ClutchCity24 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Anybody have suggestions for Future Interest and RAP problems that also have answers? Ran out of material and want to keep practicing before the exam tomorrow.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:59 pm

18 hours until my CivPro final... I hate this fluctuating between feeling mildly competent in the subject to feeling complete fucked and lost about every last thing in it. I hate the feeling like I should know immediately what the entire contents of a Rule are solely off of it's number and the numbered statutes just get confusing... 1331, 1332, 1367, 1404; like I should know immediately what they all mean solely off of a numerical naming system... fucking A. Though, I did make a key at the end of my outline listing all the relevant statutes by numbers and then right beside them writing the subject matter.

GAH

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Day drinking before first final tomorrow...

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Property Final (first LS Exam) in 20 hours... :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: 8)

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Nyclaw, how you feeling about it. I go to your school.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Wow, my apartment gets SO clean the day before exams.

procrastination ftw

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Dany wrote:Wow, my apartment gets SO clean the day before exams.

procrastination ftw

I did the same! I was working on a past exam for CivPro and decided to do something more enjoyable, namely, clean every dish in the sink and clean the stove.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:34 pm

crossarmant wrote:

procrastination ftw

I did the same! I was working on a past exam for CivPro and decided to do something more enjoyable, namely, clean every dish in the sink and clean the stove.

:D

Kitchen and living room done; on to the my bedroom next.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:35 pm

procrastination ftw

I'm contemplating hiring a service to clean my apt. for an hour when I get back from break because it has fallen into such disarray. -.-

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:40 pm

haha love it. Looks like everyone's taking it easy just like I am today.

Woke up, looked at my policy outline for torts, felt sleepy, took a 3 hour nap. It's now 4:30 and I've studied for a total of 30 minutes so far today.

Was thinking of taking a 4 hour torts practice exam today, but screw it. I'm gonna let my brain rest today. Probably just look over my outline once over, and maybe study a little bit for my next exam (contracts) and call it a day

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Stringer6 wrote:Nyclaw, how you feeling about it. I go to your school.

Slightly terrified. I think I have a good grip of everything and I'm a decent exam writer (I think... I follow GTM pretty closely), but the uncertainty over everything is what's killing me. I just have no idea how well I can do relative to everyone else.

How's it going for you?

temperance

Postby temperance » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:59 pm

Nevermind!
Last edited by temperance on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Okay so stupid question.... what is the difference between an easement and a covenant? Is there a difference, or are they essentially the same? I know our book taught them in two separate sections but then mentioned something at the very end about the restatement reorganizing things, but our Prof wasn't big on the Restatement and never mentioned it in class.

I know you can't create a negative easement in most cases, but what about an affirmative easement? Same as a covenant? Why do there need to be twenty different categories of property agreements? Boo.

procrastination ftw

This was me Friday. My apartment hasn't been this clean since I moved in.

First exam Tuesday... I think I might need to have a drink to get to sleep tonight.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Okay so stupid question.... what is the difference between an easement and a covenant? Is there a difference, or are they essentially the same? I know our book taught them in two separate sections but then mentioned something at the very end about the restatement reorganizing things, but our Prof wasn't big on the Restatement and never mentioned it in class.

I know you can't create a negative easement in most cases, but what about an affirmative easement? Same as a covenant? Why do there need to be twenty different categories of property agreements? Boo.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169861&start=1575#p5015172

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:10 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Okay so stupid question.... what is the difference between an easement and a covenant? Is there a difference, or are they essentially the same? I know our book taught them in two separate sections but then mentioned something at the very end about the restatement reorganizing things, but our Prof wasn't big on the Restatement and never mentioned it in class.

procrastination ftw

This was me Friday. My apartment hasn't been this clean since I moved in.

First exam Tuesday... I think I might need to have a drink to get to sleep tonight.

Affirmative easements is the right to do something on someone else's land. Most common is the "right of way," which basically means you can use a road on someone else's property or something. Easements are appurtenant (run with the land) or can be enforced in gross (by the grantor him/herself, even if they are no longer the property owner).

Covenant (aka "real covenant," "affirmative covenant", or "negative covenant"/"restrictive covenant") is a contractual arrangement with another party to do or not do something on your own land. A covenant might be to build a wall, refrain from blocking a stream, etc. They generally run with the land, and will be unenforceable in gross (with some exceptions for homeowner's associations and charities). You have to meet a few requirements for both the benefit to run and the burden to run , although you can have only 1 or the other run with the land (in writing, privity, notice, intent, and maybe 1 or 2 more i'm forgetting) traditionally the biggest issue was the "privity" requirement (both horizontal-- between the original covenanting parties, ie the original two people, and vertically-- between each individual covenanting party and their successors in interest). If you claimed a breached covenant you could get damages only. Covenants could also be enforced as an equitable servitude, (just drop the privity requirement), which allowed for injunctions, but no money damages. 3rd Restatement abolishes the differences between them and a bunch of requirements and just makes the test the grantor's intent I believe, and combines them into 1 of them (can't remember which, equitable servitude I think), and you can get money damages or disjunctive relief.

Negative easements and restrictive covenants are basically the same thing and I think the restatement abolishes any differences between them.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 pm

All I did was watch football all day :( Chances are, I'm going to watch this game too. I can't help it.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:All I did was watch football all day :( Chances are, I'm going to watch this game too. I can't help it.

Me too...and I have a final tomorrow. Oh well.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 pm

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:All I did was watch football all day :( Chances are, I'm going to watch this game too. I can't help it.

Mine is on Tuesday, so at least I have tomorrow. I'm way too depressed after watching the shitty game to do anything productive.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:13 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Mine is on Tuesday, so at least I have tomorrow. I'm way too depressed after watching the shitty game to do anything productive.

But at least Tebow won, right? If I do good on this final it will be because Tebow inspired me!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:16 pm

ph14 wrote:
But at least Tebow won, right? If I do good on this final it will be because Tebow inspired me!

I'm not on the tebow bandwagon.. at all.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:21 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:Nyclaw, how you feeling about it. I go to your school.

Slightly terrified. I think I have a good grip of everything and I'm a decent exam writer (I think... I follow GTM pretty closely), but the uncertainty over everything is what's killing me. I just have no idea how well I can do relative to everyone else.

How's it going for you?

Mehh. Not horrible, not great.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Can anyone explain horizontal/vertical privity, and privity of contract and privity of estate, in a simple, clear way? I know the definitions, or thought I understood them until I tried to argue about it while discussing a practice exam. Thanks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”