1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Out of curiosity, can a person in Arizona sue the state of Arizon in federal court? The 11th Amendment federal suits against any state by citizens of another state, or by citizens of any foreign state. This doesn't say anything about a citizen of a state sueing there own state.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:Emanuels on Constitutional Law is pretty decent. Q & A is ok if you have multiple choice questions.

I will sell my Emanuels Outline (9780735578838) for $18 shipped via media mail (sells for 18 + 3.99 shipping on Amazon). Very good condition.

I will sell my Q & A on Con Law (9781422417430) for $17, shipped via media mail (sells for 15 + 3.99 shipping on Amazon). Like New condition.

If you happen to be interested.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 pm

for class actions, how do you figure out what law applies?

in Shutts they weren't enough contacts, in Allstate there was, but what it you have plaintiffs from all 50 states, how do you pick which law to apply?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:07 pm

thegrayman wrote:for class actions, how do you figure out what law applies?

in Shutts they weren't enough contacts, in Allstate there was, but what it you have plaintiffs from all 50 states, how do you pick which law to apply?

Good quesiton. Shutts said the choice of law can't be arbitrary, right? I'm guessing you should divide into subclasses (which is allowed somewhere in FRCP 23) for each state and then run the case?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:54 pm

ph14 wrote:
thegrayman wrote:for class actions, how do you figure out what law applies?

Good quesiton. Shutts said the choice of law can't be arbitrary, right? I'm guessing you should divide into subclasses (which is allowed somewhere in FRCP 23) for each state and then run the case?

That's what they did in Shutts, if I remember right.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 pm

la la la la, I can't hear your civ pro talk, la la la la *fingers in ears* :shock:

Gotta stop reading this thread until I start studying for civ pro...

temperance

Postby temperance » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:Out of curiosity, can a person in Arizona sue the state of Arizon in federal court? The 11th Amendment federal suits against any state by citizens of another state, or by citizens of any foreign state. This doesn't say anything about a citizen of a state sueing there own state.

Hans v. Louisiana extended the 11th to include prohibition of citizens suing their own state.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:20 pm

temperance wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Out of curiosity, can a person in Arizona sue the state of Arizon in federal court? The 11th Amendment federal suits against any state by citizens of another state, or by citizens of any foreign state. This doesn't say anything about a citizen of a state sueing there own state.

Hans v. Louisiana extended the 11th to include prohibition of citizens suing their own state.

Thanks!

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:29 pm

LeDique wrote:I have another torts question - can you use res ipsa to prove negligence per se, or do courts frown upon this?

no negligence per se is the violation of a statue.. you have to prove that the statue being violated appleis to the case at hand, and that it was designed for the class of people in the hypo. Once you try to use negligence to explain res ispa- you cannot use res ispa because res ispa ( The thing that speaks of itself) applies in cases where there is neglignece ( barrell falling out of a window), but P cannot prove it, and D was in control of it and had more knowledge of the circumstances than P.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:40 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Emanuels on Constitutional Law is pretty decent. Q & A is ok if you have multiple choice questions.

I will sell my Emanuels Outline (9780735578838) for $18 shipped via media mail (sells for 18 + 3.99 shipping on Amazon). Very good condition.

I will sell my Q & A on Con Law (9781422417430) for $17, shipped via media mail (sells for 15 + 3.99 shipping on Amazon). Like New condition.

PMed. Rumor is my Con Law prof's exam is only multiple choice and the difference between an A and a C last year was 4 questions.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Michaela wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

PMed. Rumor is my Con Law prof's exam is only multiple choice and the difference between an A and a C last year was 4 questions.

I kind of brought it up as an invitation for an offer from SF. If she's not interested I will see if your still in need.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Dany wrote:I'm with shock on this one.

Talking about exams you've just taken is the worst thing ever especially when you don't get your grades for another 6 weeks.

I'll talk grades with you if you don't have any other friends philly.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Michaela wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

What case book are you assigned? You can pm me if you'd like.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:00 am

just made a very rookie mistake on a practice test. Saw something I was confused about. Instead of writing down my thoughts, I spent about 5 minutes thinking about what it could be, went through possibilities in my head and then chose 1 and wrote it out. Sample answer had the 2 or 3 possibilities I thought of in my head plus 3 more :oops:, and then I ended up screwing up the rest of the analysis since my chose option didn't need to analyze 2 other major issues on the test.

Let's hope I never make a mistake like that on the real thing

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:02 am

Gonna be a long night. I did a hideous thing and left finishing up my torts outline to tonight, and my exam is on Wednesday morning. I'm pretty familiar with the material so hopefully if I can finish it tonight and maybe do a little CALI, I can blast through 6 PTs before my exam. Pray for me lol

Also I feel like I'm using this thread as my personal exam journal ("dear diary, I'm scared")... well, that and procrastination of course.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:04 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Michaela wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

What case book are you assigned? You can pm me if you'd like.

Don't know about the casebook, hasn't been posted yet. But I will let you know!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:27 am

for crim fact patterns what do you guys think is a better strategy on the exam: using crimes as the header and listing all the players under each crime; or using players as the header and listing all the crimes under each player?

i was thinking crimes as a header is good because it ensures you don't miss any potential crimes you can mention since you just list 'em all and then stick players under them, but players is also good because that way you don't forget mentioning any potential players...i don't know.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:37 am

Lasers wrote:for crim fact patterns what do you guys think is a better strategy on the exam: using crimes as the header and listing all the players under each crime; or using players as the header and listing all the crimes under each player?

i was thinking crimes as a header is good because it ensures you don't miss any potential crimes you can mention since you just list 'em all and then stick players under them, but players is also good because that way you don't forget mentioning any potential players...i don't know.

During the exam, I actually spent a minute thinking about this. I went with player as header, but it might actually have been easier/faster to do it with crime as header. I know that my torts prof said to do player as header though. I don't think it makes a huge difference either way.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:40 am

piccolittle wrote:Gonna be a long night. I did a hideous thing and left finishing up my torts outline to tonight, and my exam is on Wednesday morning. I'm pretty familiar with the material so hopefully if I can finish it tonight and maybe do a little CALI, I can blast through 6 PTs before my exam. Pray for me lol

Also I feel like I'm using this thread as my personal exam journal ("dear diary, I'm scared")... well, that and procrastination of course.

haha, I'm in the same boat as you. Finishing it tomorrow, exam is Thursday. Right now I'm putting final touches on Civ Pro, exam being Tuesday. Learned my lesson for next semester though.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am

Michaela wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

rough

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:38 am

Sooo... should I bother including the Hand formula in my torts outline? How would you ever use this thing on an exam - can anyone give an example? I officially think I hate Learned Hand and his stupid name.

Ahhh, nevermind - I should always run a search first. All good, I see some discussion on this already.
Last edited by piccolittle on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:44 am

Lasers wrote:for crim fact patterns what do you guys think is a better strategy on the exam: using crimes as the header and listing all the players under each crime; or using players as the header and listing all the crimes under each player?

When my crim prof gave us a practice midterm (crim is two quarters here) on murder he recommended we organize by victim. I think it makes everything flow better and makes it easier to organize as you write, and I think more broadly it makes sense to organize by crime.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:50 am

I know nothing about crim because I haven't had it yet, but maybe ask the professor and see what they think?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:51 am

Organize by crime. It's easier.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:51 am

piccolittle wrote:Sooo... should I bother including the Hand formula in my torts outline? How would you ever use this thing on an exam - can anyone give an example? I officially think I hate Learned Hand and his stupid name.

Absolutely.

Its a test to determine whether the D owed a duty and at the same time whether they breached that duty.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”