1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
a5L

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby a5L » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:16 pm

don't fear stein

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:Is most everyone on here is up to speed (as least somewhat) with their outlines? Has everyone already started to take practice tests? Reading TLS makes feel REALLY behind.

nope, not at all. my online outline sort of up to date (maybe 2 weeks behind) is property. I've started civpro, but i'm maybe 1/4 done, and I haven't started torts. My final memo was due today, so I plan starting tonight to work heavily on my outlines. I'll start practice exams maybe next week. My first final is Dec 1.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:24 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:Is most everyone on here is up to speed (as least somewhat) with their outlines? Has everyone already started to take practice tests? Reading TLS makes feel REALLY behind.

nope, not at all. my online outline sort of up to date (maybe 2 weeks behind) is property. I've started civpro, but i'm maybe 1/4 done, and I haven't started torts. My final memo was due today, so I plan starting tonight to work heavily on my outlines. I'll start practice exams maybe next week. My first final is Dec 1.

What's an online outline?

I just can't believe how many people seem to have kept up on their outlines. I just feel like I have no time for them. Maybe I'm overestimating how much time they are actually going to require.

I also think one of the most difficult things right now is how to develop a final exam prep strategy. There's just so much stuff to choose from (ex. cali lessons, E&Es, leews, GTM, general study of outlines, practices tests, etc.).

I've come to grips with the fact that Thanksgiving break is ruined.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I just can't believe how many people seem to have kept up on their outlines. I just feel like I have no time for them. Maybe I'm overestimating how much time they are actually going to require.

I also think one of the most difficult things right now is how to develop a final exam prep strategy. There's just so much stuff to choose from (ex. cali lessons, E&Es, leews, GTM, general study of outlines, practices tests, etc.).

yea agreed there's a lot of different ways to study and different methods to choose from. I think you just gotta go with what you think works best for you.

I'm a practice makes perfect kind of guy, so I know that the more I use the BLL in application type of settings, the more I'll get comfortable memorizing and applying the material. For me the outlining process probably won't do much, so I'm planning on using others' outlines for the substantive BLL and just editing them to include new stuff the professor has said (all of my outlines are from my professors' classes over the past couple of years). Gonna studying them for a week, then hit up some E+E problems and Cali lessons, followed by ~3 weeks of practice test after practice test.

I'm sure others learn best by synthesizing the cases, notes, and supplements into an outline and then all of sudden everything is magically memorized. I don't really get how that works but it seems lots of people advocate that strategy.

I think it's really all about figuring out how you study best and using the supplements/outlines/practice exams in the most productive way within that study strategy.

And yea, I'm gonna be staying at school for thanksgiving which is going to be pretty depressing but whatever

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:39 pm

ilovesf wrote:

haha i meant to write only not online.. i have no idea where that slip up came from. obviously my brain is melting from all of the reading.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:00 pm

dabomb75 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

yea agreed there's a lot of different ways to study and different methods to choose from. I think you just gotta go with what you think works best for you.

I'm a practice makes perfect kind of guy, so I know that the more I use the BLL in application type of settings, the more I'll get comfortable memorizing and applying the material. For me the outlining process probably won't do much, so I'm planning on using others' outlines for the substantive BLL and just editing them to include new stuff the professor has said (all of my outlines are from my professors' classes over the past couple of years). Gonna studying them for a week, then hit up some E+E problems and Cali lessons, followed by ~3 weeks of practice test after practice test.

I'm sure others learn best by synthesizing the cases, notes, and supplements into an outline and then all of sudden everything is magically memorized. I don't really get how that works but it seems lots of people advocate that strategy.

I think it's really all about figuring out how you study best and using the supplements/outlines/practice exams in the most productive way within that study strategy.

And yea, I'm gonna be staying at school for thanksgiving which is going to be pretty depressing but whatever

This is exactly how I am. I think the most efficient and productive use of my time would be spent actually studying (and adding) to outlines from other people. I do, however, worry that I'm screwing myself since so many people insist that you need to make your outline to truly grasp the material.

I've actually been keeping up on E&Es, so I guess that's the only variation from your study plan. I may do a quick review of the problems, though.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:15 pm

This is exactly how I am. I think the most efficient and productive use of my time would be spent actually studying (and adding) to outlines from other people. I do, however, worry that I'm screwing myself since so many people insist that you need to make your outline to truly grasp the material.

I've actually been keeping up on E&Es, so I guess that's the only variation from your study plan. I may do a quick review of the problems, though.

meh.. people learn differently. i learn well through rewritting things and phrasing them differently, so outlining really helps with memorization and fitting in cases into larger topics and themes. i'm actually not using any outlines whatsoever from other people because two of my professors are new, and the third has only taught here for one year. i looked at a couple from other sections, and honestly we're learning pretty different stuff, especially in property, so i don't really feel comfortable using a different outline.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcJ1lrllZ7o

This just inspired me. HERE I GO

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:13 pm

How much are you guys worrying about case squibs and things in the notes?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

ph14 wrote:How much are you guys worrying about case squibs and things in the notes?

only when my prof talks about them in relation to the case for more than a couple minutes

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm

ph14 wrote:How much are you guys worrying about case squibs and things in the notes?

When profs bring them to attention in class, I typically write it down and the page number. Then once I'm at home, I like to add it to the outline just in case. I too am using the memorize/study-others-outlines-and-use-the-time-to-apply-concepts approach so I find this helpful.

As for library study time, I'm not a huge fan of it. I find that all of that stress in one place is kind of absurd. Also, I have a tendency to look around at what others are doing and compare myself to that. I know this isn't the correct mindset; however, I recognize problems and try to avoid them. I have noticed a lot of my classmates spend a ton of time bragging on facebook about how much they're studying. Some are going so far as to post pictures of their "study dinners." These are comprised of food and beverage from about five different places. This strikes me as odd because the same people don't do things during the day, yet claim they have no time and are surprised that I have time. I almost want to tell them that they'd also be finished with their studies 9:00 p.m. if they too worked efficiently from 8:00 a.m. (or even semi-efficiently...sometimes people have to do thangs) I suppose that would be rude though? Sorry, folks. End rant. :D

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:52 pm

alicrimson wrote:

When profs bring them to attention in class, I typically write it down and the page number. Then once I'm at home, I like to add it to the outline just in case. I too am using the memorize/study-others-outlines-and-use-the-time-to-apply-concepts approach so I find this helpful.

As for library study time, I'm not a huge fan of it. I find that all of that stress in one place is kind of absurd. Also, I have a tendency to look around at what others are doing and compare myself to that. I know this isn't the correct mindset; however, I recognize problems and try to avoid them. I have noticed a lot of my classmates spend a ton of time bragging on facebook about how much they're studying. Some are going so far as to post pictures of their "study dinners." These are comprised of food and beverage from about five different places. This strikes me as odd because the same people don't do things during the day, yet claim they have no time and are surprised that I have time. I almost want to tell them that they'd also be finished with their studies 9:00 p.m. if they too worked efficiently from 8:00 a.m. (or even semi-efficiently...sometimes people have to do thangs) I suppose that would be rude though? Sorry, folks. End rant. :D

That's a long day of class/homework.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 pm

alicrimson wrote:

*Most* of it is spent doing school things; however, I didn't include that an hour- sometimes hour and a half is dedicated to gym time. That time is non-negotiable. Plus, we have four hours of class a day except on Fridays. Then its none. :D Plus, as I said, sometimes thangs aka tutoring, meetings, etc come up and they are also included in that time. Plus, the occasional TLS visit is always a good 10-15 minute distraction. So not working 13 hours straight. This isn't a sweat shop. I suppose sometimes it feels like one though...

bendtheslurry

Postby bendtheslurry » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:07 pm

alicrimson wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

*Most* of it is spent doing school things; however, I didn't include that an hour- sometimes hour and a half is dedicated to gym time. That time is non-negotiable. Plus, we have four hours of class a day except on Fridays. Then its none. :D Plus, as I said, sometimes thangs aka tutoring, meetings, etc come up and they are also included in that time. Plus, the occasional TLS visit is always a good 10-15 minute distraction. So not working 13 hours straight. This isn't a sweat shop. I suppose sometimes it feels like one though...

Don't forget about lunch, you don't want to disappoint anyone....

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:53 pm

do you all advocate outlines from upperclassmen who had your professors and augmenting them with your class notes ( to keep it relevant) or making your own from scratch/ Ive been working on my own, and supplmenting it with other outlines to make sure im on track, but find that its very similar? im planning on memorizing all of my outlines cold ( except for my take home final) so i can just type away on game day ( first final isnt until dec 13). Im starting to get worried that im lagging behind, even though i only have the last 2 weeks worth of classes to read for 2 classes- K and torts ( finsihed reading for the other ones), my memo almost 100% done ( just have to blue book cite) but still feel behind.

sorry bout the rant.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 am

northwood wrote:do you all advocate outlines from upperclassmen who had your professors and augmenting them with your class notes ( to keep it relevant) or making your own from scratch

This is one of those things that can be done either way, and different people will benefit from different strategies. I can't imagine not making my own, because it was the best way for me to review, but others will say that's a waste of time and they rocked the classes where they just found an old outline and modified it a bit.

Not the most helpful answer in the world, I know.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 am

Got my first graded memo back... below median. Missed a huge issue because I thought it was outside the scope of what we were discussing. Ugh. Spent the rest of the day wallowing. It's so hard to not let that seep into how I think I'm going to do in my substantive classes.

Putting it behind me, moving on, sticking to my schedule. Go team!

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:15 am

northwood wrote:do you all advocate outlines from upperclassmen who had your professors and augmenting them with your class notes ( to keep it relevant) or making your own from scratch/ Ive been working on my own, and supplmenting it with other outlines to make sure im on track, but find that its very similar? im planning on memorizing all of my outlines cold ( except for my take home final) so i can just type away on game day ( first final isnt until dec 13). Im starting to get worried that im lagging behind, even though i only have the last 2 weeks worth of classes to read for 2 classes- K and torts ( finsihed reading for the other ones), my memo almost 100% done ( just have to blue book cite) but still feel behind.

sorry bout the rant.

I'm using an upperclassman's and I really like it. I know some people think that's God's forbidden sin; however, I think its going to be more helpful, atleast for me, in the long run.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 am

As for outlines, I'm finding that simply browsing through an upperclassman's does not do the same as making your own for helping you understand the material. If you really like another person's then use it as the attack one on the exam; but it's worth making your own as a review method. I'm finding that when working on outlines it really helps me get a better grasp of the stuff from earlier in the semester.

Outlines are a means to an end, not an end in and of themselves.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:02 am

God I hate some of the people in my class. Making pointless statements...

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:09 am

gdane wrote:God I hate some of the people in my class. Making pointless statements...

Seconded. Besides useless comments wasting time and derailing the subject, they have a little game of trying to weasel a predetermined unwieldy word into the class discussion everyday. It's obnoxious and you can tell when they do so; the comment usually only has a slight bearing on the subject, then they all snicker and gchat about how funny it was... Come on, motherfuckers. We're grown-ass adults, not in middle school. Knock it off.

In other news, I feel like I have had my most productive day ever. On campus going to class and working non-stop with supplements from 9:30am to 10:45pm, came home, worked out and now in bed. Let's see if I can do this for the next 35 days...

Escuate

Postby Escuate » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:25 am

Should I be studying until 4am every night? I would think not, but it seems like lack of sleep has all of a sudden become a measure of dedication, etc. Way too many people on Facebook eager to tell everyone that they were at the library sooo late.

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 am

Escuate wrote:Should I be studying until 4am every night? I would think not, but it seems like lack of sleep has all of a sudden become a measure of dedication, etc. Way too many people on Facebook eager to tell everyone that they were at the library sooo late.

Some people allegedly can perform at their peak off three hours of sleep. (Napoleon Bonaparte, Nikola Tesla, etc.) I'm not one of them, and I've never known anyone in my life like that. People who get quality learning or practice time in their day usually require MORE sleep (Pretty sure I remember this from the Ericsson study.), so I wonder about the quality of the study time of those people who claim to only get like four hours a night.

So point is, make good use of your productive hours and get as much sleep as you need to do it again the next day, whether that is five hours or nine.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:15 am

Escuate wrote:Should I be studying until 4am every night? I would think not, but it seems like lack of sleep has all of a sudden become a measure of dedication, etc. Way too many people on Facebook eager to tell everyone that they were at the library sooo late.

Who gives a shit.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:48 am

if you post about how long and hard you are studying at the library on facebook, chances are pretty good that you are not actually doing it

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”