1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12755
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LeDique » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Hannibal wrote:So basically the only reason you'd do a rule interpleader in the federal courts is if you don't want to deposit the amount with the court?

ETA: I can't believe I'm curious about this when I already took my Civpro final.


I asked this in my Civ Pro review session even though there was like a 1% chance it'd be on the final. My professor told me that: You would use rules interpleader when all of the claimants are from the same state. Otherwise, you use the statutory interpleader.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Wtf people are done? Haven't even started yet. It's going to be an intense week next week.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:40 pm

ph14 wrote:Wtf people are done?

Seriously. I thought we finished early, and we're not done until Monday.

User avatar
AlexanderSupertramp
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
ph14 wrote:Wtf people are done?

Seriously. I thought we finished early, and we're not done until Monday.

My last one is tomorrow.

thegrayman
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby thegrayman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:14 pm

LeDique wrote:
Hannibal wrote:So basically the only reason you'd do a rule interpleader in the federal courts is if you don't want to deposit the amount with the court?

ETA: I can't believe I'm curious about this when I already took my Civpro final.


I asked this in my Civ Pro review session even though there was like a 1% chance it'd be on the final. My professor told me that: You would use rules interpleader when all of the claimants are from the same state. Otherwise, you use the statutory interpleader.


Did your professor elaborate any more than that? I don't think I understand the reasoning

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
ph14 wrote:Wtf people are done?

Seriously. I thought we finished early, and we're not done until Monday.

My last one is tomorrow.


Lucky! I had my first one today and they end on Dec 20. :/

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Hannibal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:36 pm

rocon7383 wrote:anybody re-considering career paths yet?

More specifically, does anyone else want to drop out and become a scuba instructor in Maui? Or is that just me?


I feel like if anything, this has confirmed my career choice. It's mentally challenging and I like the people. I'm not amazing at the material or anything, but I'm good enough to not feel useless.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Hannibal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:anybody re-considering career paths yet?

More specifically, does anyone else want to drop out and become a scuba instructor in Maui? Or is that just me?


I feel like if anything, this has confirmed my career choice. It's mentally challenging and I like the people. I'm not amazing at the material or anything, but I'm good enough to not feel useless.


+1. I don't like the curve, but I think I will enjoy being a lawyer in some capacity.

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dabomb75 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:47 pm

the impending feeling of doom is creeping in...

haven't even started finals yet

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Hannibal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:anybody re-considering career paths yet?

More specifically, does anyone else want to drop out and become a scuba instructor in Maui? Or is that just me?

I feel like if anything, this has confirmed my career choice. It's mentally challenging and I like the people. I'm not amazing at the material or anything, but I'm good enough to not feel useless.

lol I'm so the opposite.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Hannibal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:anybody re-considering career paths yet?

More specifically, does anyone else want to drop out and become a scuba instructor in Maui? Or is that just me?


I feel like if anything, this has confirmed my career choice. It's mentally challenging and I like the people. I'm not amazing at the material or anything, but I'm good enough to not feel useless.


Mentally challenging = sudoku.

CivPro = shitshow!

But in all seriousness, I know what you mean. It's not my hate for the field that will lead to me dropping out, but my lack of career opportunities.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Does Erie apply in federal question cases?

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rocon7383 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 am

johansantana21 wrote:Does Erie apply in federal question cases?


the whole point is that it's a federal court sitting in diversity, isn't it? There would be no need to apply state law in a federal question case.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby booboo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:11 am

Tricky question.

Erie applies under cases where their exists claims based on some sort of state law.

With that in mind, Erie can apply to cases with jurisdiction through 1331 and 1332. 1331 would have to have claims added through supplemental jurisdiction for their to exist an Erie question.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12755
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:12 am

thegrayman wrote:
LeDique wrote:
Hannibal wrote:So basically the only reason you'd do a rule interpleader in the federal courts is if you don't want to deposit the amount with the court?

ETA: I can't believe I'm curious about this when I already took my Civpro final.


I asked this in my Civ Pro review session even though there was like a 1% chance it'd be on the final. My professor told me that: You would use rules interpleader when all of the claimants are from the same state. Otherwise, you use the statutory interpleader.


Did your professor elaborate any more than that? I don't think I understand the reasoning


Sorry, that's all he said, or at least all I wrote down.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12755
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:13 am

rocon7383 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Does Erie apply in federal question cases?


the whole point is that it's a federal court sitting in diversity, isn't it? There would be no need to apply state law in a federal question case.


What about a case like Grable & Sons?

My Civ Pro final was today. Can't believe I'm curious about this.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby sundance95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:21 am

rocon7383 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Does Erie apply in federal question cases?


the whole point is that it's a federal court sitting in diversity, isn't it? There would be no need to apply state law in a federal question case.

What about a state law claim that presents an essential federal question?

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Hannibal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:37 am

sundance95 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Does Erie apply in federal question cases?


the whole point is that it's a federal court sitting in diversity, isn't it? There would be no need to apply state law in a federal question case.

What about a state law claim that presents an essential federal question?


Doesn't matter. Dat well-pleaded complaint rule.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12755
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:44 am

Hannibal wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Does Erie apply in federal question cases?


the whole point is that it's a federal court sitting in diversity, isn't it? There would be no need to apply state law in a federal question case.

What about a state law claim that presents an essential federal question?


Doesn't matter. Dat well-pleaded complaint rule.


Yes it does. See: Grable & Sons.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:44 am

LeDique wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
the whole point is that it's a federal court sitting in diversity, isn't it? There would be no need to apply state law in a federal question case.

What about a state law claim that presents an essential federal question?


Doesn't matter. Dat well-pleaded complaint rule.


Yes it does. See: Grable & Sons.


This. 3 part test will determine it.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Hannibal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:45 am

Wow, my CivPro class did not cover that.

ETA: Why am I still talking about Civpro?

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby piccolittle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:53 am

You guys are freaking me out. I have to teach myself Civ Pro in 6 days. Have no idea what any of the above means lol

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:56 am

piccolittle wrote:You guys are freaking me out. I have to teach myself Civ Pro in 6 days. Have no idea what any of the above means lol

6 days is plenty of time

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:01 am

ilovesf wrote:
piccolittle wrote:You guys are freaking me out. I have to teach myself Civ Pro in 6 days. Have no idea what any of the above means lol

6 days is plenty of time


+1. SF how many finals do you have left?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:04 am

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
piccolittle wrote:You guys are freaking me out. I have to teach myself Civ Pro in 6 days. Have no idea what any of the above means lol

6 days is plenty of time


+1. SF how many finals do you have left?

Torts on Tuesday! :) I swear, the last is the hardest to study for, I have absolutely zero motivation. I'd rather look at fake pic whoring on tls than study right now.. it's sad.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BeeTeeZ, natemac60, TheDapperDruid and 13 guests