1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
alicrimson

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Tort exam in one hour and twenty minutes. Its time to get my chi back and stop moping over crim already. Go time. Confidence time. I hope. That way I can alleviate the 1L crack addict syndrome. I recall seeing this in a movie this summer where the guy described children as crack addicts because they're laughing and smiling one minute and then are sobbing and morose for what appears to be no reason the next. Thinking this is going to apply more to the grade waiting period but right now, total influence over what happens with those grades (well, kinda). Anywho, good luck to all exam takers today.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:42 pm

So roughly 1/3 of our property exam is going to be a policy question. I have no idea how or where to even begin answering this type of question... do you just throw every argument you can at it?

Example: What are your thoughts on the use of economic analysis and its efficiency and appropriateness in property law? Should courts use it, why/why not? He wants us to use specific property doctrines to talk about it.

So confused. I'd like multiple choice and an issue spotter plz.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:So roughly 1/3 of our property exam is going to be a policy question. I have no idea how or where to even begin answering this type of question... do you just throw every argument you can at it?

Example: What are your thoughts on the use of economic analysis and its efficiency and appropriateness in property law? Should courts use it, why/why not? He wants us to use specific property doctrines to talk about it.

I mean, something talking about economic analysis you should probably always compare to substitutes and look at benefits/costs. Like economic analysis versus social justice analysis. Note the pluses and minuses of each, flaws, etc. and pick one. Maybe work in a specific example.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:13 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:So roughly 1/3 of our property exam is going to be a policy question. I have no idea how or where to even begin answering this type of question... do you just throw every argument you can at it?

I go with a pro/con list as my brainstorming then pick a side. Then I start with the other side and say "Wellll this looks promisng bc" BUT BAM! here's the real argument (rebut rebut rebut). Smashing conclusion!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 pm

After our final CivPro review session today, I really feel I have at least a working grasp of this material. At least a "B" understanding... hopefully. Thank you, Rich Freer; otherwise I'd be fucked. That said, I'm still probably going to flunk because this class is evil.

Maybe someone can answer this for me, how the hell does one become a CivPro professor? Who thinks "You know... I really want to teach Civil Procedure. I really feel like there is nothing more interesting in this world than the organization of rules on where and when you can sue people...."?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 pm

ph14 wrote:

I mean, something talking about economic analysis you should probably always compare to substitutes and look at benefits/costs. Like economic analysis versus social justice analysis. Note the pluses and minuses of each, flaws, etc. and pick one. Maybe work in a specific example.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of using an example to illustrate. That makes it a little less daunting.

Policy, especially in property, just kills me. Freedom vs. security, predictability vs. flexibility... its like a carousel of madness. There is never a clear right answer and arguments on both sides are usually equally compelling, so its just going around in circles forever. I realize it's supposed to be like that, its just frustrating because I'm going to end up writing for an hour and never making a point.

/rant

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I go with a pro/con list as my brainstorming then pick a side. Then I start with the other side and say "Wellll this looks promisng bc" BUT BAM! here's the real argument (rebut rebut rebut). Smashing conclusion!

I wish I could have that much fun with property. I'm glad I'm getting my least favorite class out of the way first. Your approach sounds interesting though, maybe I'll try it on my next practice exam, haha.

Postby 094320 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Aww, <3 you too. I do try. Might as well enjoy, I figure.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:05 pm

crossarmant wrote:After our final CivPro review session today, I really feel I have at least a working grasp of this material. At least a "B" understanding... hopefully. Thank you, Rich Freer; otherwise I'd be fucked. That said, I'm still probably going to flunk because this class is evil.

Maybe someone can answer this for me, how the hell does one become a CivPro professor? Who thinks "You know... I really want to teach Civil Procedure. I really feel like there is nothing more interesting in this world than the organization of rules on where and when you can sue people...."?

I don't think all of the professors really choose what 1L courses they teach. Of course some specialize in certain areas, but I think some professors are just sort of stuck with it. My torts professor specializes in environmental law and told us he didn't really know anything about torts and had never taught it before.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Wait, people stress about waiting for 1L grades? I'd love nothing more than to never see what I got in Civ Pro.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Dany wrote:Wait, people stress about waiting for 1L grades? I'd love nothing more than to never see what I got in Civ Pro.

I already have a grade request from a judge. I'm already freaking out about forwarding him my undoubtedly shitty property grade.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Wow, people actually cry in public after they get their grades back?

Seriously?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:01 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Wow, people actually cry in public after they get their grades back?

Seriously?

People cry in fear of getting bad grades before the even take the exam. It shouldn't be surprising that people cry if they get a bad grade but were expecting a good grade.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:02 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Wow, people actually cry in public after they get their grades back?

Seriously?

I'm pretty sure I'll cry if I do really badly. Will you not be upset if you get a B- or a C?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Don't you get them back online anyway? It's not like they post a piece of paper on a bulletin board and everyone huddles around, then people start crying right?

Anyway, 2 down, 2 to go. Civ Pro was straightforward. Exam structure was different than expected, but I walked out of there feeling like I murdered it. The policy question was ridiculous, but I had saved up enough time from the other sections to go to town on it.

So I've walked out of two feeling good about them. Not sure if that is folly. I guess it is better than not feeling good...?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:08 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Seriously?

I'm pretty sure I'll cry if I do really badly. Will you not be upset if you get a B- or a C?

I would kill for a B-.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Seriously?

I will be super upset. I will probably drop out. But I don't think I'd cry in public.

Postby 094320 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:16 pm

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Most civ pro profs study something else, though my civ pro prof seems to really enjoy it, and I do know of someone who specializes into that area. Civ Pro was far and away my favorite class this semester. I'd enjoy being a civ pro prof it it were possible. But I like rules and learning rules and thinking about how to design them and the effects of the rules. Part of my favorite part of playing board games is trying to think of house rules to make the game more enjoyable, or to correct a certain unfairness that I feel arises from the game's rules, etc. So I just treated Civ Pro like a board game.

If you've worked through a supplement, you're probably fine!

Ick ick. Actually my prof wrote the casebook... so yeah, he's super in love with Civil Procedure. I just will not comprehend people enjoying that subject. That said, I've worked with the E&E all semester and a couple of other supps/hornbooks throughout the semester and saw Rich Freer live, so that was a tremendous help. Hopefully that'll give me a leg up.

Postby 094320 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:32 pm

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Is CivPro a 1 semester course for you guys? Or 2?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Is CivPro a 1 semester course for you guys? Or 2?

Two quarters for us. The first one is everything but jurisdiction, and I think the second is just that.

Postby 094320 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 pm

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Is CivPro a 1 semester course for you guys? Or 2?

1 semester.

That's crazy. It's 2 semester here and I'm still having trouble.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”