1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johansantana21

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:03 am

Attempting to finish entire civpro e&e in 1 day before the final. God help me.

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:22 am

Anyone know of a good crim multiple choice practice site?

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:32 am

Anyone else have a problem with CivPro E&E?

Some of the doctrines seem to be substantially different than how our prof teaches it.

Is it even worth doing it now?

Postby 071816 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 am

johansantana21 wrote:Anyone else have a problem with CivPro E&E?

Some of the doctrines seem to be substantially different than how our prof teaches it.

Civ Pro E&E is spot on (except for a few minor changes in late 2009), but good luck trying to cram all that in in a day.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:41 am

chimp wrote:

Civ Pro E&E is spot on (except for a few minor changes in late 2009), but good luck trying to cram all that in in a day.

it taught me almost everything i know.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:46 am

chimp wrote:

Thanks. Our civpro exam is weird, tons of 2L's say it's arbitrary (30% average on MC), but who knows. I'll be below median either way but at least this way I tried.

target

Postby target » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:48 am

chimp wrote:

Didn't someone post something related to those 2009 changes? Is that post here in this thread by any chance?

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:50 am

My Last Final of the Semester is 12 Hours and 45 Minutes away, I hope I can read a criminal statute.

Seminole_305

Postby Seminole_305 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 am

Took my last final yesterday and pretty much am spent.

Now the wait for grades.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 am

Seminole_305 wrote:Now the wait for grades.

The absolute worst part of 1L. So many times worse than waiting for school acceptances. I remember the day fall semester grades came out for my class. There was definitely more than one person having a crying breakdown in the school library.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:39 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Seminole_305 wrote:Now the wait for grades.

The absolute worst part of 1L. So many times worse than waiting for school acceptances. I remember the day fall semester grades came out for my class. There was definitely more than one person having a crying breakdown in the school library.

If I did so bad that there was no way I could make up during the second semester to keep my scholly going forward, I'd probably cry too (wanted to be a lawyer since like 7th grade, but I'm not sure I will take out near 150k if it looks like I'll graduate near bottom). I'm a dude, so I'd probably try and make it home first if I could. If not, at least get to a bathroom and do your thing in there.

Since last night trying to go to sleep, I was thinking about a couple of things I missed on my last exam. Now I have Crim and I'm beginning to freak out.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:57 am

ocplaytime wrote:Anyone know of a good crim multiple choice practice site?

Did you or anyone else find this out?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:58 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:

CALI?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:13 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

CALI?

Where? I thought it was just a podcast thing. Only signed up a week ago.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:44 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Two questions regarding Crim if anyone can please answer:

1) MPC test for insanity: "Appreciate" vs M'Naghten's "know". I still don't get the main difference.

2) In my notes I have this:
"The common law requires a bilateral approach to conspiracy: you need two or more people to agree to commit the crime to be a conspiracy. NOTE: common law is moving toward unilateral approach."

In two different parts I once imply that the bilateral approach is the majority common law approach, and in another I imply that that unilateral is. Does anyone know for sure which is which. I know MPC is unilateral. Need to know b/c for the exam we are only to discuss the majority approach whenever there is one.

Thanks

1. Knowing is simply being aware of the facts; appreciating indicates a greater degree of cognition and understanding of the situation. The perpetrator may know they are taking hostages, but they may not appreciate the reality because they are in an alternate reality created by their mental disease.

I didn't do much on conspiracy - just Pinkerton so I don't know that I can fully answer your second question.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 am

lifestooquick wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:Two questions regarding Crim if anyone can please answer:

1) MPC test for insanity: "Appreciate" vs M'Naghten's "know". I still don't get the main difference.

2) In my notes I have this:
"The common law requires a bilateral approach to conspiracy: you need two or more people to agree to commit the crime to be a conspiracy. NOTE: common law is moving toward unilateral approach."

In two different parts I once imply that the bilateral approach is the majority common law approach, and in another I imply that that unilateral is. Does anyone know for sure which is which. I know MPC is unilateral. Need to know b/c for the exam we are only to discuss the majority approach whenever there is one.

Thanks

1. Knowing is simply being aware of the facts; appreciating indicates a greater degree of cognition and understanding of the situation. The perpetrator may know they are taking hostages, but they may not appreciate the reality because they are in an alternate reality created by their mental disease.

I didn't do much on conspiracy - just Pinkerton so I don't know that I can fully answer your second question.

Thanks, I already got that it was bilateral anyway.

Also, just now doing a practice exam. FUCK MY LIFE.

chimp wrote:FUCK EVERYTHING

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 am

kalvano wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:what are the cases that have changed civil procedure law in the past couple years that are not noted in some supplements? just looking for confirmation, Iqbal comes to mind.

Depends on the age of the supplement. Iqbal / Twombly, maybe. Nicastro and Goodyear for sure.

GOODYEAR! thanks, completely forgot the name, its all mush upstairs.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:23 am

chimp wrote:

It's wrong about amending the pleadings, right? I remember reading that whole chapter and thinking, "noooo....".

Also, I guess it's wrong about venue now.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:46 am

Anybody else have apparently weird ears that are incompatible with ear plugs or is that just me?

orm518

Postby orm518 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:46 am

Hannibal wrote:
chimp wrote:

It's wrong about amending the pleadings, right? I remember reading that whole chapter and thinking, "noooo....".

Also, I guess it's wrong about venue now.

If you're referring to the new Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act, yeah, though Obama hasn't officially signed it yet, he will. It makes some changes to §1391. Also clarifies a rarely used part of removal, §1441(c)

I have Glannon for Torts and he's only teaching one class this year because he's working on the new CivPro E&E edition, to reflect all these changes. Too late for us, though.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Anybody else have apparently weird ears that are incompatible with ear plugs or is that just me?

haha, until I was around 17/18, ear plugs were always really uncomfortable. I guess my ears just expanded a bit more and they finally fit comfortable. You can probably find some kinda custom ones on the internetz.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:11 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Anybody else have apparently weird ears that are incompatible with ear plugs or is that just me?

What's your school's policy on letting students wear earphones and listen to music during an exam? They let us do that here. Might be more comfortable than ear plugs.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I have an organizational question about dealing with tons of forks when I'm doing the analysis of the issues

Lets say that there's Rule A (majority theory) and Rule B (minority theory)

Then for a different issue there's Rule C (majority) and Rule D (minority)

and a final third issue w/ Rule E (majority) and Rule F (minority)

The question I have would be easier to ask if I could do flowcharts, but:

we do the analysis and mention rules A and B as possibilities for issue #1

then when doing issue 2, am I supposed to say "assuming Rule A applies then it could be either Rule C or Rule D. However if Rule B applies then Rule C or Rule D would make it come out this way"

And then when doing issue 3, I would have 4 different possibilities: A+C, A+D, B+C, B+D. I don't understand how on a question where there are 7-8 different issues that would be like 32 or 64 different possible paths. It's not making sense organizationally how I'm supposed to do that.

This only seems to be coming up in my property class, since there's a majority and minority rule for everything it seems

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:34 pm

dabomb75 wrote:I have an organizational question about dealing with tons of forks when I'm doing the analysis of the issues

then when doing issue 2, am I supposed to say "assuming Rule A applies then it could be either Rule C or Rule D. However if Rule B applies then Rule C or Rule D would make it come out this way"

And then when doing issue 3, I would have 4 different possibilities: A+C, A+D, B+C, B+D. I don't understand how on a question where there are 7-8 different issues that would be like 32 or 64 different possible paths. It's not making sense organizationally how I'm supposed to do that.

This only seems to be coming up in my property class, since there's a majority and minority rule for everything it seems

Just my guess, but I would bet that you just go with majority rule (that's how we do for crim, no points for discussing minority theories). If you complete the exam doing all the majority rules and still have time left over, then go back and add what you can in minority rules. Just my 2 cents, might wanna ask someone from you class to be sure.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:38 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:I have an organizational question about dealing with tons of forks when I'm doing the analysis of the issues

Just my guess, but I would bet that you just go with majority rule (that's how we do for crim, no points for discussing minority theories). If you complete the exam doing all the majority rules and still have time left over, then go back and add what you can in minority rules. Just my 2 cents, might wanna ask someone from you class to be sure.

We definitely have to mention the minority rules. But this doesn't apply to just minority rules, also to situations where there's enough ambiguity that it's up in the air which one would actually be applied

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”