1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eugenie Danglars

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:Palsgraf is the greatest torts case ever, I read it for fun just to laugh and picture all the tort dominos falling in a row, until the lady gets smashed in the head.

I guess no would be a good time for me to listen to everyone's favorite case they read this Semester:
Mine involved a guy who was extremely drunk, parked his car ON TOP of a fire hydrant. Then he was woke up at 6am by the cops, during the interrogation he pooped and pee'd in his pants and punched a cop.

He was not charged for Battery of a Peace officer because he was too drunk to realize who he punched.

Palsgraf in LEGOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDEbTudkjhc

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:Palsgraf is the greatest torts case ever, I read it for fun just to laugh and picture all the tort dominos falling in a row, until the lady gets smashed in the head.

I guess no would be a good time for me to listen to everyone's favorite case they read this Semester:
Mine involved a guy who was extremely drunk, parked his car ON TOP of a fire hydrant. Then he was woke up at 6am by the cops, during the interrogation he pooped and pee'd in his pants and punched a cop.

He was not charged for Battery of a Peace officer because he was too drunk to realize who he punched.

I didn't read the case, but I'm pretty sure that not why he was charged with battery.

I liked Hotchkins v. McGee, the hairy hand in Contracts.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:55 pm

My nine year old loved the Pasgraf in legos! She had a teacher work day so I brought her to class with me that day (with the professor's permission) which set me up for the honor of being called upon to brief it.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:56 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:My nine year old loved the Pasgraf in legos! She had a teacher work day so I brought her to class with me that day (with the professor's permission) which set me up for the honor of being called upon to brief it.

How bored was your kid?

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:56 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:My nine year old loved the Pasgraf in legos! She had a teacher work day so I brought her to class with me that day (with the professor's permission) which set me up for the honor of being called upon to brief it.

There's a youtube video of Ms. Palsgraf talking about the incident.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:I liked Hotchkins v. McGee, the hairy hand in Contracts.

:|

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:58 pm

ph14 wrote:

How bored was your kid?

I think she was pretty bored. She hasn't asked to come back and has decided to go to med school.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:06 am

Dany wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:I liked Hotchkins v. McGee, the hairy hand in Contracts.

:|

Hawkins.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:08 am

Surprisingly we never had to read that one, or Pearson v Poast ( I think that's its name). we did have to do the chicken one though.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 am

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Surprisingly we never had to read that one, or Pearson v Poast ( I think that's its name). we did have to do the chicken one though.

Ahh, what is chicken?

Frigaliment or something.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:19 am

my favorite is daniel v. ford.. the one where the girl tries to killherself by lockining herself in a trunk of a ford for 9 days, and unsucessful in her suicide attempt. SHe then sues the manufacturer for design defect because she was unable to get herself out ofthe trunk when she wanted to abandon the attempt, AND THEN SUED ford for it.

the prof said this is a a very sad case, sad for the profession, sad for the P, and sad for the waste of time and money to go through the case. He then said, that while today cars have safety latches in trunks its mostly as a result of kiddos playing hide and seek and then unfortunatly dying in the trunk, not for this case.

he then went on to go about a hypo about what the judge might have been thinking he could say to the Ps lawyer for taking the case. then going well, thats why its not illegal, or a tort to think a thought, but if you act on it, you may make yourself liable-

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Surprisingly we never had to read that one, or Pearson v Poast ( I think that's its name). we did have to do the chicken one though.

Ahh, what is chicken?

Haha I don't think we had to do that one either, too bad. Apparently we had "as a matter of law, the house is haunted" in our notes cases but I don't remember reading it.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:22 am

piccolittle wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

Ahh, what is chicken?

Haha I don't think we had to do that one either, too bad. Apparently we had "as a matter of law, the house is haunted" in our notes cases but I don't remember reading it.

That one was great. Made me want to be a judge so I could write sarcastic opinions. That one and Harris v. Time.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:23 am

My favorite was Mussivand v David: wife cheats on husband, she unknowingly gets a STD, gives it to husband, and then husband sues the wife's "paramour" (my professor's word of choice) for giving him the STD

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:25 am

ilovesf wrote:My favorite was Mussivand v David: wife cheats on husband, she unknowingly gets a STD, gives it to husband, and then husband sues the wife's "paramour" (my professor's word of choice) for giving him the STD

I forget the name of this one, but a man signed a contract saying his wife would get half interest in a company if the partner died. The problem was that his wife was actually not legally his wife, since he'd faked his death to run away from the first one.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:27 am

ilovesf wrote:My favorite was Mussivand v David: wife cheats on husband, she unknowingly gets a STD, gives it to husband, and then husband sues the wife's "paramour" (my professor's word of choice) for giving him the STD

Yeah, that was a great one. My torts prof was hilarious; he kept forgetting her name and substituting it with various appropriate 'ho names. We got Dr Dixie, Dr Trixie, Dr Candy, Dr Tootsie... lol.

superhands

Postby superhands » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 am

Doe v. Moe, 827 N.E. 2d 240. Dude and chick are having sex. Chick is in a dominate position. Chick attempts to adjust legs while the dude is still inside of her and she ends up breaking his dick.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:42 am

Two questions regarding Crim if anyone can please answer:

1) MPC test for insanity: "Appreciate" vs M'Naghten's "know". I still don't get the main difference.

2) In my notes I have this:
"The common law requires a bilateral approach to conspiracy: you need two or more people to agree to commit the crime to be a conspiracy. NOTE: common law is moving toward unilateral approach."

In two different parts I once imply that the bilateral approach is the majority common law approach, and in another I imply that that unilateral is. Does anyone know for sure which is which. I know MPC is unilateral. Need to know b/c for the exam we are only to discuss the majority approach whenever there is one.

Thanks

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:44 am

superhands wrote:Doe v. Moe, 827 N.E. 2d 240. Dude and chick are having sex. Chick is in a dominate position. Chick attempts to adjust legs while the dude is still inside of her and she ends up breaking his dick.

Amazing.

target

Postby target » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:53 am

piccolittle wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

Ahh, what is chicken?

Stambovsky v. Ackley?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:00 am

target wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

Ahh, what is chicken?

Stambovsky v. Ackley?

Now this is some dope stuff right here:

Chief Justice ROBERTS, dissenting. 129 S.Ct. 448 wrote:North Philly, May 4, 2001. Officer Sean Devlin, Narcotics Strike Force, was working the morning shift. Undercover surveillance. The neighborhood? Tough as a three-dollar steak. Devlin knew. Five years on the beat, nine months with the Strike Force. He'd made fifteen, twenty drug busts in the neighborhood.

Devlin spotted him: a lone man on the corner. Another approached. Quick exchange of words. Cash handed over; small objects handed back. Each man then quickly on his own way. Devlin knew the guy wasn't buying bus tokens. He radioed a description and Officer Stein picked up the buyer. Sure enough: three bags of crack in the guy's pocket. Head downtown and book him. Just another day at the office.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:02 am

We miss all the good stuff. That sounds so noir.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:46 am

Larsen v. General Motors - GM argues that they shouldn't have to design a safe vehicle because cars are not designed to run into things. Solid argument, eh?

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 am

lmao what was Roberts on? I have to read that after finals is done

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:55 am

Bahaha, I just got an email about being in a class due to a class action suit against TicketMaster; how I must opt out or be precluded from future litigation, etc. all sorts of FRCP Rule 23 fun. Just in time for CivPro exam in 3 days.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”