1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clint4law

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby clint4law » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 am

What are you guys and gals doing to prepare for con law issue spotters? I'm comfortable with all the stuff before the 14th (which is half the class). FML

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:36 am

I'm pretty on-the-record with my feeling that there is absolutely no way that law school grading can be anything but completely arbitrary. I don't know how else to really clarify that. There is some luck in "some people get the same, some don't" - I went to 1L with someone who was far, far smarter than me, was in all of my study groups, pointed out countless errors in all of the practice exams we did in our group, and didn't do as well as I did. I've seen basically identical exams with "A" on one and "B" on the other.

At the end of the day, everything about law school aside from the curve is pretty easy. The curve makes it hard, and it's very hard to do anything about. The only real clear demarcation is "those who did practice exams vs. those who didn't." Everything beyond that, eh.

I'm not any smarter than the people I went to school with (either 1L or 2L/3L). There were certainly far, far better writers in bother groups, far more accomplished economists, far better thinkers, etc. Something with the luck of the draw and the ability to BS allowed me to stand out from all of that. No amount of stressing over finals would have changed those final outcomes and, if anything, not relaxing beforehand would have been detrimental. I dunno.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:41 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I'm pretty on-the-record with my feeling that there is absolutely no way that law school grading can be anything but completely arbitrary. I don't know how else to really clarify that. There is some luck in "some people get the same, some don't" - I went to 1L with someone who was far, far smarter than me, was in all of my study groups, pointed out countless errors in all of the practice exams we did in our group, and didn't do as well as I did. I've seen basically identical exams with "A" on one and "B" on the other.

At the end of the day, everything about law school aside from the curve is pretty easy. The curve makes it hard, and it's very hard to do anything about. The only real clear demarcation is "those who did practice exams vs. those who didn't." Everything beyond that, eh.

I'm not any smarter than the people I went to school with (either 1L or 2L/3L). There were certainly far, far better writers in bother groups, far more accomplished economists, far better thinkers, etc. Something with the luck of the draw and the ability to BS allowed me to stand out from all of that. No amount of stressing over finals would have changed those final outcomes and, if anything, not relaxing beforehand would have been detrimental. I dunno.

Quick question.

When these smart people didn't do as well as you...

Did you get like top 10% and they got like top 20%?

I can see that happening.

Or was it like

You got median and they got below?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:There were certainly far, far better writers in bother groups

My question to you is, how did you knower that they were far better writers?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:49 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:There were certainly far, far better writers in bother groups

My question to you is, how did you knower that they were far better writers?

har har.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:52 am

Random Q on statute of limitations: generally, they start running from the date the suit was filed, right? Not the date the complaint was served?

I have an odd question from a past test. Unfortunately, no model answer.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:02 am

shock259 wrote:Random Q on statute of limitations: generally, they start running from the date the suit was filed, right? Not the date the complaint was served?

This is a sticky one- some state statutes vary, but under the FRCP it commences from filing. I think it's Ragan v. Merchants that goes into an Erie analysis of this.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:04 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
shock259 wrote:Random Q on statute of limitations: generally, they start running from the date the suit was filed, right? Not the date the complaint was served?

This is a sticky one- some state statutes vary, but under the FRCP it commences from filing. I think it's Ragan v. Merchants that goes into an Erie analysis of this.

(btw, from experience, my Civ Pro prof used this issue to test us on the whole "what happens when the FRCP conflict with state procedural rules" issue, if you covered that)

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 am

If anyone wants good study music, this is what I use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMM7tGV ... sults_main

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:27 am

Totally screwed for my exam on Friday. I think my section got all the gunners lol... so I'm wasting my life on TLS <3

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:33 am

crossem wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:
crossem wrote:2 Qs:

How long, if at all, do you outline before typing in torts?

My prof has no samples and no guidance, but I have heard we will have one dense fact pattern and be told to ID all liabilities. I am worried about outlining too much and missing points, but going in blazing does not seem like the answer either.

Also, any tips on integrating facts into your analysis? I catch myself using the same few over and over again, thus missing others that would open up more possibilities in my analysis.

Thanks!

We had 2.5 Hours to answer 2 two-page hypotheticals on my exam today, I highlight every time there is a harm and that's my outline. There's really no time when you figure every torts Prof is going to put 5 or so Torts in a question if not more.

Thanks for the responses, they all helped. I really like this highlight the harm idea.

"It's torts, someone is gonna get hurt!" - LSU Professor

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:20 am

Has anyone cracked any type of jokes during their exams this semester? I have made slight jokes throughout my Exams so far and my roommate even mentioned Harvey Updyke in one of his replies. I figure if it is me vs. someone else either my joke will make my exams stick out for good or bad.

Thoughts?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:30 am

Gamecock227 wrote:Has anyone cracked any type of jokes during their exams this semester? I have made slight jokes throughout my Exams so far and my roommate even mentioned Harvey Updyke in one of his replies. I figure if it is me vs. someone else either my joke will make my exams stick out for good or bad.

Thoughts?

We have three really good student responses for all our practice Civ Pro exams and several have little jokes here and there. There are also responses with no jokes at all. I really don't think it matters either way. My professors grade by a checklist of issues, so it wouldn't gain or lose you points here.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am

First exam in < 2 hours. Easily my best subject (torts), but I'm riding what is now approximately a 3 day adrenaline rush. Hopefully I don't crash before the zam is over.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 am

Kabuo wrote:First exam in < 2 hours. Easily my best subject (torts), but I'm riding what is now approximately a 3 day adrenaline rush. Hopefully I don't crash before the zam is over.

you got this...... you got this.... you got this.... be onfident in your ability, and do well you shall

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 pm

So I've got civ pro in two days and I don't know what to do. I just stare at the professors exams. there are just weird structural problems that i feel like i have not tool fucking one to deal with. i'm not panicky, just kinda resigned to doing mediocre.

i just dont get the fucking class.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:58 pm

good luck to everyone with an exam today! :) I'm starting torts today, it's my last exam next tuesday..I can't wait to be done with this!

temperance

Postby temperance » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 pm

I also just wanted to say how helpful earplugs were for my first exam. I took them out at one point but immediately put them back in due to the stress of hearing everyone else typing furiously. It makes it much harder to take a minute or two to think when you are painfully aware of everyone else typing at the same time. (this is obviously for those who are bothered by the sound of everyone typing all around them).

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 pm

brickman wrote:So I've got civ pro in two days and I don't know what to do. I just stare at the professors exams. there are just weird structural problems that i feel like i have not tool fucking one to deal with. i'm not panicky, just kinda resigned to doing mediocre.

i just dont get the fucking class.

Work systematically. Start with subject matter jurisdiction, work to personal jurisdiction, venue of the original claim and parties, think about claim, party joinders, counterclaims, impleaders, which which takes you back to SMJ (now you can think about supplemental jurisdiction too), PJ, and Venue again. Consider the preclusive effects of adding parties or claims (or not).

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 pm

temperance wrote:I also just wanted to say how helpful earplugs were for my first exam. I took them out at one point but immediately put them back in due to the stress of hearing everyone else typing furiously. It makes it much harder to take a minute or two to think when you are painfully aware of everyone else typing at the same time. (this is obviously for those who are bothered by the sound of everyone typing all around them).

Earplugs are great but sometimes its way too quiet and I have to take them out because it feels weird.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:12 pm

what are the cases that have changed civil procedure law in the past couple years that are not noted in some supplements? just looking for confirmation, Iqbal comes to mind.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:15 pm

rocon7383 wrote:what are the cases that have changed civil procedure law in the past couple years that are not noted in some supplements? just looking for confirmation, Iqbal comes to mind.

Wal-Mart
Nicastro

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 pm

piccolittle wrote:Totally screwed for my exam on Friday. I think my section got all the gunners lol... so I'm wasting my life on TLS <3

+1... also wasting my life on TLS

Although our section only really has one gunner. He is not only a gunner, but a condescending dbag too. I'm secretly hoping he gets straight B's.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Had already opened the wine before I realized it was 1pm

Like I give a fuck.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:09 pm

rocon7383 wrote:what are the cases that have changed civil procedure law in the past couple years that are not noted in some supplements? just looking for confirmation, Iqbal comes to mind.

Depends on the age of the supplement. Iqbal / Twombly, maybe. Nicastro and Goodyear for sure.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”