1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
paulinaporizkova

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Dany wrote:Image

ahahahahahahah

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 pm

target

Postby target » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:I feel the same. I think I got the issues but might have called one of the people by a different name. I can't remember. I thought I did okay afterwards until I looked at the exam again. Should not have done that.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I did the same thing. After the first two sentences or so, I started labeling people in the hypo with random name. I went back and changed but not sure if I got all of them when time ran out. FML

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

My face after studying 8 past exams that had very little to do with the giant contracts hypo that was in front of me:

crossem

Postby crossem » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:43 pm

2 Qs:

How long, if at all, do you outline before typing in torts?

My prof has no samples and no guidance, but I have heard we will have one dense fact pattern and be told to ID all liabilities. I am worried about outlining too much and missing points, but going in blazing does not seem like the answer either.

Also, any tips on integrating facts into your analysis? I catch myself using the same few over and over again, thus missing others that would open up more possibilities in my analysis.

Thanks!

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:47 pm

crossem wrote:2 Qs:

My prof has no samples and no guidance, but I have heard we will have one dense fact pattern and be told to ID all liabilities. I am worried about outlining too much and missing points, but going in blazing does not seem like the answer either.

Also, any tips on integrating facts into your analysis? I catch myself using the same few over and over again, thus missing others that would open up more possibilities in my analysis.

Thanks!

I just do

A v. B
Battery
Assault

When I type thats when I pull out the facts which can lead to new issues. I dont spead much time on the actual outlining.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:49 pm

i don't know why, but I had forgotten that it was Pearl Harbor's 70th anniversary. Thinking about exams I thought "Hmm... that's ironic, it's now going to commemorate another disastrous bombing."

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks!

Went with the leews method saying you shouldn't spend more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the time allotted for the question to outline. Seems to be okay.

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks!

We had 2.5 Hours to answer 2 two-page hypotheticals on my exam today, I highlight every time there is a harm and that's my outline. There's really no time when you figure every torts Prof is going to put 5 or so Torts in a question if not more.

target

Postby target » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks!

I took about 5-7 minutes to outline for 1.5 hour exam. I always find I miss something after I start writing though, so I didn't want to sit there long just to spot issues.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks!

My prof recommended spending a good bit of time finding all the issues and listing them in the exam by issue and party because he'd rather us run out of time fleshing out a complete outline than have complete analyses of only some issues and not mention others. As he said, it's not like he can't figure out what "A v. B for battery" means whereas if you don't write it, he doesn't know you thought it.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Still hung up on crim. It was a huge common law essay with statutes. I'm nervous I used too much common law jargon and not enough statute language. FML...though, the statutes didn't look too different than the common law. So maybe okay? Either way, using this abomination as a jumping off point to motivate myself to rock the other tests in case I need to counter my potential shoddy crim performance.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:10 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Image

I'm right there with you. I did the test and I know I didn't exactly turn in something that might as well have been written in crayon, but I also know that my classmates understood the material better than I did and started doing hypos way earlier. It's like the LSAT; you read the bibles first, then you do a shit ton of PTs, then you get to be above the curve. I read the bibles, but didn't really get into the PTs, and that's where the shit is at. I can't wait for next semester though, definitely learned from my mistakes and plan to do way better.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Ugh. I'm alternating between "I think I've got this pretty much down" and "What if everyone else knows it better?!"

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Ugh. I'm alternating between "I think I've got this pretty much down" and "What if everyone else knows it better?!"

that's right about where you should be, which means you should switch to your pre-exam study pattern immediately. For me, that was a bottle of wine and a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Worked out pretty well.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:24 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Ugh. I'm alternating between "I think I've got this pretty much down" and "What if everyone else knows it better?!"

that's right about where you should be, which means you should switch to your pre-exam study pattern immediately. For me, that was a bottle of wine and a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Worked out pretty well.

Heh thanks. I think it's going to be fluffy fiction and bed soon then a quick re-read in the morning.

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 pm

part of question from civ pro final today:

mr.x is domiciled in CA (lived there his whole life) but just got sentenced to 20 years in federal prison in NY. already in custody. Mr. X owns "A LIMITIED LIABILITY CORPORATION XYZ that is incorporated in Delaware and principal place of business in Florida"

does what I just explained make the XYZ a corporation for SMJ/diversity sake? some people in class took the LLC as an unincorporated entity which would be attached to the domicile of Mr.X.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 pm

ocplaytime wrote:part of question from civ pro final today:

mr.x is domiciled in CA (lived there his whole life) but just got sentenced to 20 years in federal prison in NY. already in custody. Mr. X owns "A LIMITIED LIABILITY CORPORATION XYZ that is incorporated in Delaware and principal place of business in Florida"

does what I just explained make the XYZ a corporation for SMJ/diversity sake? some people in class took the LLC as an unincorporated entity which would be attached to the domicile of Mr.X.

LLCs look at domicile of all members - inc/ppob was a red herring

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 pm

I think that "limited liability corporation" = corporation, whereas a limited liability partnership, or unincorporated association (labor union I think) you use the domicile of all there members.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Many circuits have said that, as a matter of law, LLCs are look-through to wherever their owners are domiciled [whether you covered this - and how you covered it - will probably vary by prof]. This is a universal rule for partnerships, LLPS and the like, but I think some circuits still haven't explicitly come down on the LLC question. The "right" exam answer would have explained that depending on the circuit, LLC domicile may potentially be look-through, the majority rule would probably be that domicile is in CA because it is look-through to Mr.X. (assuming Mr. X plans to return to CA when he is released from prision - if he does not plan to return, the question becomes murkier), blahablahablah. ALWAYS explain all possible angles unless there is a world limit/

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 pm

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:55 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Many circuits have said that, as a matter of law, LLCs are look-through to wherever their owners are domiciled [whether you covered this - and how you covered it - will probably vary by prof]. This is a universal rule for partnerships, LLPS and the like, but I think some circuits still haven't explicitly come down on the LLC question. The "right" exam answer would have explained that depending on the circuit, LLC domicile may potentially be look-through, the majority rule would probably be that domicile is in CA because it is look-through to Mr.X. (assuming Mr. X plans to return to CA when he is released from prision - if he does not plan to return, the question becomes murkier), blahablahablah. ALWAYS explain all possible angles unless there is a world limit/

you tryin to school us brah?

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:56 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

LLCs look at domicile of all members - inc/ppob was a red herring

so in other words im basically going to look like a moron? was a big hypo and basically had to represent mr.x and xyz from various suits using Rule 8 and 12 including affirmative defenses. spent about 80% of answer focusing on mr.x though because he had a bigger disaster going on. pretty stupid mistake on my part...I usually don't stick around after but just had to after this one and while some people picked up on that part a good portion didn't even get to most of rule 12. hopefully it evens out the cuve

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:56 pm

--ImageRemoved--

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:56 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

you tryin to school us brah?

Posted asked a question, just trying to be helpful:/

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”