1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby adonai » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:50 am

So, how long is everyone studying here? It is amazing what three consecutive 12 hour days can do for your issue spotting skills.

ocplaytime
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:03 am

so how is it possible my civ pro prof didn't mention a word about the Klaxton rule but covered every other aspect of Erie? I didn't even know there was such a thing (even though I was already thinking of the problem that Klaxton solved) until I got to the end of the Erie section in E&E?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11755
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:06 am

ocplaytime wrote:so how is it possible my civ pro prof didn't mention a word about the Klaxton rule but covered every other aspect of Erie? I didn't even know there was such a thing (even though I was already thinking of the problem that Klaxton solved) until I got to the end of the Erie section in E&E?

we didn't learn this either, we only covered erie minimally, at best.

adonai wrote:So, how long is everyone studying here? It is amazing what three consecutive 12 hour days can do for your issue spotting skills.

i was at the library for 10 hours today, came home and took a break, did review multiple choice for ~1 hour. my exam is at 8:30 am tomorrow, now i'm in bed about to go to sleep. my brain is turning to mush though from all the studying - after a while it becomes more and more difficult to issue spot and work productively.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby adonai » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 am

ilovesf wrote:i was at the library for 10 hours today, came home and took a break, did review multiple choice for ~1 hour. my exam is at 8:30 am tomorrow, now i'm in bed about to go to sleep. my brain is turning to mush though from all the studying - after a while it becomes more and more difficult to issue spot and work productively.

It is a lot easier to stay productive if you actually take mini-breaks. But you're on TLS so I'm assuming that's where those breaks come in. Good luck on your final tomorrow! Most of you guys are into your 3rd or 4th final already and I haven't even gotten to my first.

law777
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby law777 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:11 am

My first final is on Friday. I have yet to outline a single class or take a single practice exam. I have, however, finished a supplement for every class. Am I screwed? Anyone have strategy suggestions? Any 2Ls want to weigh in (e.g. success stories very welcome...)?

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 am

Tell me how bad of an idea it is to focus on just collecting as much crim law material for my outline I possibly can for the next 4 hours before my exam , instead of vainly trying to learn the material.

ocplaytime
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:18 am

looks like we are all cramming in here...got my civ pro in 12 hours. cheers to all nighters boys

ocplaytime
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 am

law777 wrote:My first final is on Friday. I have yet to outline a single class or take a single practice exam. I have, however, finished a supplement for every class. Am I screwed? Anyone have strategy suggestions? Any 2Ls want to weigh in (e.g. success stories very welcome...)?


what class? If I were you I would just start looking at practice exams asap and see what aspects of the supplement your prof focused on the most

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 am

Hooray for not being able to stay asleep and waking up at 5:45... Test anxiety is fantastic. I kept waking to a half sleep, throwing absurd torts hypotheticals out and convincing a half asleep self that I don't know the subject matter.


ocplaytime wrote:looks like we are all cramming in here...got my civ pro in 12 hours. cheers to all nighters boys


I feel weird because everyone seems to be cramming and studying really intensely. I feel like I know the material well since I went to every single class, review session, read every case, read every relevant section in like 3 supps, outlined as I went, and did hypos throughout the entire semester. I don't really know what extra "studying" I can do besides practice exams, which I've done all 3 available to me for my 1st exam. But I have this gnawing feeling like I'm not prepared for my final in 3.5 hours.... Goddammit.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 am

LOL you people are insane, what did I get myself into.

What kind of people am I competing against.

Read 3 relevant supps, been studying all night before the test etc.

I read 1 supp, and take it easy the night before.

Anyways GL to all. Hopefully in a month we can all come back here and raise a glass to our straight A's.


User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 am

crossarmant wrote:Hooray for not being able to stay asleep and waking up at 5:45... Test anxiety is fantastic. I kept waking to a half sleep, throwing absurd torts hypotheticals out and convincing a half asleep self that I don't know the subject matter.


ocplaytime wrote:looks like we are all cramming in here...got my civ pro in 12 hours. cheers to all nighters boys


I feel weird because everyone seems to be cramming and studying really intensely. I feel like I know the material well since I went to every single class, review session, read every case, read every relevant section in like 3 supps, outlined as I went, and did hypos throughout the entire semester. I don't really know what extra "studying" I can do besides practice exams, which I've done all 3 available to me for my 1st exam. But I have this gnawing feeling like I'm not prepared for my final in 3.5 hours.... Goddammit.


+1 to all of this

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 am

Last class today!! Thank God for not having to learn anything else.

First exam is Tuesday- Property. Ugh. At least I have five full days to lock myself in a room and re-learn everything. Shouldn't be hard to do... right? Right?

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 am

bostonlawchick wrote:Last class today!! Thank God for not having to learn anything else.

First exam is Tuesday- Property. Ugh. At least I have five full days to lock myself in a room and re-learn everything. Shouldn't be hard to do... right? Right?


+1. Can't wait for today to be over.

Then 4 days before my torts exam

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11755
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:04 am

I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ph14 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 am

ilovesf wrote:I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!


+1. Better to go in fresh and ready to kill it on what you know rather than trying to learn some point of law that may or may not come up and be tired.

ocplaytime
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:09 am

ilovesf wrote:I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!


its called necessity

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby istara » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:23 am

Procrastination is not a necessity.

:wink:

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3878
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 am

ocplaytime wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!


its called necessity


Yeah, that's how it went for me the night of LSAT (I think I got like 2 hrs sleep), and I did just above my recent averages. Had to sleep today though, and might take a quick nap in a bit before exam (sick, so I really need to let my brain cool off).

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 pm

istara wrote:Procrastination is not a necessity.

:wink:



Further, I'm in professional responsibility and the comments to ABA model rule 1.3 states that "[3] No professional shortcoming is more widely resented than procrastination. A client’s interests often can be adversely affected by the passage of time or the change in conditions; or when a lawyer overlooks a statute of limitations. Unreasonable delay can cause a client needless anxiety and undermine confidence in the lawyer’s trustworthiness. A lawyer’s duty to act with reasonable promptness, however, does not preclude the lawyer from agreeing to a reasonable request for a postponement that will not prejudice the lawyer’s client." Funny, I would have thought incompetence would win the day. Oh well. :D

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 pm

ilovesf wrote:I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!



Or late studying at all. I'd rather get to the library at 7:30-8:00....sometimes 9:30 (*coughtodaycough*) and work with small breaks interspersed until 10:30-11 PM. I don't like staying up studying past 11 but I'm sure as many people or more don't like getting up early and studying at 7:30. Different strokes I suppose.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

alicrimson wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!



Or late studying at all. I'd rather get to the library at 7:30-8:00....sometimes 9:30 (*coughtodaycough*) and work with small breaks interspersed until 10:30-11 PM. I don't like staying up studying past 11 but I'm sure as many people or more don't like getting up early and studying at 7:30. Different strokes I suppose.


Yeah, my day is starting now and I usually finish around 1-2 lol

orderofthings
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby orderofthings » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Just finished my first exam! Contracts...multiple choice wasn't too bad. I think the worst part is knowing that even if you did well, if everyone else did slightly better you're fucked. Thought I did well on the essay though - tried to spew as much on the paper as possible. I did find myself pretty much regurgitating my outline interposed with the fact pattern. Hopefully the high word count will help me.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:17 pm

orderofthings wrote:Just finished my first exam! Contracts...multiple choice wasn't too bad. I think the worst part is knowing that even if you did well, if everyone else did slightly better you're fucked. Thought I did well on the essay though - tried to spew as much on the paper as possible. I did find myself pretty much regurgitating my outline interposed with the fact pattern. Hopefully the high word count will help me.


High word count? The Hillman exam? Or Summers?

orderofthings
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby orderofthings » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
orderofthings wrote:Just finished my first exam! Contracts...multiple choice wasn't too bad. I think the worst part is knowing that even if you did well, if everyone else did slightly better you're fucked. Thought I did well on the essay though - tried to spew as much on the paper as possible. I did find myself pretty much regurgitating my outline interposed with the fact pattern. Hopefully the high word count will help me.


High word count? The Hillman exam? Or Summers?


Uh...Eisenberg?

I just meant that I know a lot of people on TLS think a high word count may help out for grading purposes. I just kinda went with the shotgun approach.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yankees1313 and 8 guests