1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cinephile

Gold

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by cinephile » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 am

sundance95 wrote:
cinephile wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:just freaking stay below the limit.
Easier said than done with the word limit is 25 words.
Do your professors just hate all of you? What school does machiavellian shit like this go down at?
Probably.
Last edited by cinephile on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gamecock227

New

Post by Gamecock227 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:49 am

Sapientia wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Not sure why people ITT seem to think the program can't print the word count if it can know the word count, and it can print the text.
Teachers most certainly see the word count, unless they disable it or something. Our teacher printed off a model answer from last year that had a word count and character count on the front page
100 Percent true. 3 of my professors put the word count/character count cover sheet on all of their Cali answers they keep on file. My one word limit exam was 1500, but our professor said if it is 1510 it will be fine. However 1511 = 1.3 (Fail). He is a benevolent soul.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 am

The rate I which I oscillate between feeling confident about torts and feeling fucked is remarkable. If only science could harness this energy.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:06 am

I feel like I have been fucking. acing. my. exams.

I hope I'm not deluding myself. But I think I've done it. I really think I've done it. Maybe I haven't...but it sure felt like it.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:07 am

For people with word counts; how close did you come to it? I've already seen some people say they had trouble just keeping within it. Today I got in 1500 out of a max of 3500. I know it was less than other people, and that I for sure didn't do great. If I fall below a B- for the semester, I am so incredibly fucked. One more exam.
Peg wrote:I feel like I have been fucking. acing. my. exams.

I hope I'm not deluding myself. But I think I've done it. I really think I've done it. Maybe I haven't...but it sure felt like it.
Why can't you suck like the rest of us?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:08 am

Peg wrote:I feel like I have been fucking. acing. my. exams.

It's hard for me to understand how people feel they've aced a curved exam. Unless your section is mostly filled with idiots.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:11 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:For people with word counts; how close did you come to it? Today I got in 1500 out of a max of 3500.
I had two exams with word limits. One I came in at like 2800 out of 3000 (with a professor who very much values brevity) and on the other I was like 3190 out of 3200. Are you saying you only wrote 1500 words with a word limit of 3500? Because in that situation I'd be extremely nervous, since I don't think the professors who set word limits would set them at 2.33x the length of a good answer.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:21 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:For people with word counts; how close did you come to it? Today I got in 1500 out of a max of 3500.
I had two exams with word limits. One I came in at like 2800 out of 3000 (with a professor who very much values brevity) and on the other I was like 3190 out of 3200. Are you saying you only wrote 1500 words with a word limit of 3500? Because in that situation I'd be extremely nervous, since I don't think the professors who set word limits would set them at 2.33x the length of a good answer.
Yep, and I am, though nothing I can do about it at this point, so I'm just gonna focus on my last exam.

edit; one caveat; our professor didn't even tell us that there was going to be a word limit, and there wasn't one on the midterm, so she may have set it a bit higher than the typical prof.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:38 am

I didn't mean to sound obnoxious. It's just the amazing relief of, after a semester of paranoia, anxiety, and insane amounts of studying, I felt like there were no surprises and nothing I didn't expect to see on my exams.

Doesn't mean that I know how I'll do on a curve, of course, and I didn't intend to try and make anyone feel bad about their work. I'm sure all of you aced your exams!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 am

Peg wrote:I didn't mean to sound obnoxious. It's just the amazing relief of, after a semester of paranoia, anxiety, and insane amounts of studying, I felt like there were no surprises and nothing I didn't expect to see on my exams.

Doesn't mean that I know how I'll do on a curve, of course, and I didn't intend to try and make anyone feel bad about their work. I'm sure all of you aced your exams!
lol, I was just being an envious bitch. good job on your exams.

edit; also, how many of you have wrecked your diet/exercise plans over the past few weeks? I went from doing a little/very moderate amount of exercise / eating pretty decently (meaning very little junk/fast food) to doing 0 exercises and eating horrendously (meaning 1/3 of meals are junk/fast food).

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 am

How devastating is missing a MAJOR issue?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 am

Haha. I stopped eating. Never exercised.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:33 am

johansantana21 wrote:How devastating is missing a MAJOR issue?
What do you mean by major, exactly?

I definitely feel better when we get asked specific things vs a general "analyze potential claims by any party." In the first case you know whether you hit the major issue or not for sure. In the latter method, it's definitely harder to tell, but there will be huge glaring issues, and maybe sub-issues within that one, and then a bunch of other issues to round out the course. Are you saying you missed the huge glaring issue? That probably would not be good. If it makes you feel better, I've done pure dogshit on the vast majority of the minor issues on my exams (for example of what I consider to be a bit more minor, on a huge issue in Ks, I did a big analysis, but it was off b/c of a kind of sub-issue where I forgot to apply the merchants exception to something ).

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:02 am

what I wouldn't do for an extra 24 hours.....

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:31 am

dabomb75 wrote:what I wouldn't do for an extra 24 hours.....
Oh god, +1000000000

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:37 am

johansantana21 wrote:How devastating is missing a MAJOR issue?
As was asked, how major? And by missing you mean getting wrong, or not seeing?

If your professor stressed the issue would appear on the exam and you didn't discuss it elsewhere, probably a pretty big deal. Otherwise, that's why there's a curve.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:13 am

acrossthelake wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:For people with word counts; how close did you come to it?
I went a couple hundred words over and had to really cut down for wordiness, and know I still missed a minor issue.
Same happened to me, I finished 40 minutes early and spent pretty much the entire 40 minutes cutting down over 300 words. I created a shit ton of compound words where it's debatable if I should have (for example I probably would have turned shit ton into shit-ton) and I also used a bunch of semicolons, so I could remove "and"s. It wasn't pretty, but I came in 1 word under the limit.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 am

Started feeling great about Ks after taking a practice yesterday. Just took another practice and got ROCKED. Now sort of dreading it. Seems like my fate is bound up with the prof not placing a giant fact pattern on the exam, which seems very likely.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 am

I also had word limits and cut things down to the point where a few sentences sound like broken English but 4/5 questions I hit the number on the nose. No point deduction for me :) the other 1? Under by 10.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm

sundance95 wrote:The rate I which I oscillate between feeling confident about torts and feeling fucked is remarkable. If only science could harness this energy.
i would by in massive quantities....

just tell yourself you got a C and move on.. it makes the grade waiting much better because when you get a better grade than a c you are happy, and if you did in fact get a c- then you were right all along)

YES I GOT A C ON TORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 pm

northwood wrote:
sundance95 wrote:The rate I which I oscillate between feeling confident about torts and feeling fucked is remarkable. If only science could harness this energy.
i would by in massive quantities....

just tell yourself you got a C and move on.. it makes the grade waiting much better because when you get a better grade than a c you are happy, and if you did in fact get a c- then you were right all along)

YES I GOT A C ON TORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like my grade waiting strategy, though both of us know deep down that if we actually got a C or B- it would be fine and dandy one second and then five minutes later, pissed off. Such is life. lolz.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Don't want to learn contracts. Can I just use reliance for every answer?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 pm

I am completely not ready for my crim exam tomorrow. I have no idea what I'm doing, and I've never felt this unprepared for an exam. But at least the feeling seems mutual with all of my classmates - so there's going to be a fun curve. And it's a real horserace exam, he's told us no one will finish.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Don't want to learn contracts. Can I just use reliance for every answer?
Haha. If you're going to use any stock answer go with expectation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”