1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
adonai

Silver

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by adonai » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:50 am

So, how long is everyone studying here? It is amazing what three consecutive 12 hour days can do for your issue spotting skills.

ocplaytime

New

Post by ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:03 am

so how is it possible my civ pro prof didn't mention a word about the Klaxton rule but covered every other aspect of Erie? I didn't even know there was such a thing (even though I was already thinking of the problem that Klaxton solved) until I got to the end of the Erie section in E&E?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:06 am

ocplaytime wrote:so how is it possible my civ pro prof didn't mention a word about the Klaxton rule but covered every other aspect of Erie? I didn't even know there was such a thing (even though I was already thinking of the problem that Klaxton solved) until I got to the end of the Erie section in E&E?
we didn't learn this either, we only covered erie minimally, at best.
adonai wrote:So, how long is everyone studying here? It is amazing what three consecutive 12 hour days can do for your issue spotting skills.
i was at the library for 10 hours today, came home and took a break, did review multiple choice for ~1 hour. my exam is at 8:30 am tomorrow, now i'm in bed about to go to sleep. my brain is turning to mush though from all the studying - after a while it becomes more and more difficult to issue spot and work productively.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 am

ilovesf wrote: i was at the library for 10 hours today, came home and took a break, did review multiple choice for ~1 hour. my exam is at 8:30 am tomorrow, now i'm in bed about to go to sleep. my brain is turning to mush though from all the studying - after a while it becomes more and more difficult to issue spot and work productively.
It is a lot easier to stay productive if you actually take mini-breaks. But you're on TLS so I'm assuming that's where those breaks come in. Good luck on your final tomorrow! Most of you guys are into your 3rd or 4th final already and I haven't even gotten to my first.

law777

New

Post by law777 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:11 am

My first final is on Friday. I have yet to outline a single class or take a single practice exam. I have, however, finished a supplement for every class. Am I screwed? Anyone have strategy suggestions? Any 2Ls want to weigh in (e.g. success stories very welcome...)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 am

Tell me how bad of an idea it is to focus on just collecting as much crim law material for my outline I possibly can for the next 4 hours before my exam , instead of vainly trying to learn the material.

ocplaytime

New

Post by ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:18 am

looks like we are all cramming in here...got my civ pro in 12 hours. cheers to all nighters boys

ocplaytime

New

Post by ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 am

law777 wrote:My first final is on Friday. I have yet to outline a single class or take a single practice exam. I have, however, finished a supplement for every class. Am I screwed? Anyone have strategy suggestions? Any 2Ls want to weigh in (e.g. success stories very welcome...)?
what class? If I were you I would just start looking at practice exams asap and see what aspects of the supplement your prof focused on the most

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 am

Hooray for not being able to stay asleep and waking up at 5:45... Test anxiety is fantastic. I kept waking to a half sleep, throwing absurd torts hypotheticals out and convincing a half asleep self that I don't know the subject matter.

ocplaytime wrote:looks like we are all cramming in here...got my civ pro in 12 hours. cheers to all nighters boys
I feel weird because everyone seems to be cramming and studying really intensely. I feel like I know the material well since I went to every single class, review session, read every case, read every relevant section in like 3 supps, outlined as I went, and did hypos throughout the entire semester. I don't really know what extra "studying" I can do besides practice exams, which I've done all 3 available to me for my 1st exam. But I have this gnawing feeling like I'm not prepared for my final in 3.5 hours.... Goddammit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 am

LOL you people are insane, what did I get myself into.

What kind of people am I competing against.

Read 3 relevant supps, been studying all night before the test etc.

I read 1 supp, and take it easy the night before.

Anyways GL to all. Hopefully in a month we can all come back here and raise a glass to our straight A's.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 am

crossarmant wrote:Hooray for not being able to stay asleep and waking up at 5:45... Test anxiety is fantastic. I kept waking to a half sleep, throwing absurd torts hypotheticals out and convincing a half asleep self that I don't know the subject matter.

ocplaytime wrote:looks like we are all cramming in here...got my civ pro in 12 hours. cheers to all nighters boys
I feel weird because everyone seems to be cramming and studying really intensely. I feel like I know the material well since I went to every single class, review session, read every case, read every relevant section in like 3 supps, outlined as I went, and did hypos throughout the entire semester. I don't really know what extra "studying" I can do besides practice exams, which I've done all 3 available to me for my 1st exam. But I have this gnawing feeling like I'm not prepared for my final in 3.5 hours.... Goddammit.
+1 to all of this

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 am

Last class today!! Thank God for not having to learn anything else.

First exam is Tuesday- Property. Ugh. At least I have five full days to lock myself in a room and re-learn everything. Shouldn't be hard to do... right? Right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 am

bostonlawchick wrote:Last class today!! Thank God for not having to learn anything else.

First exam is Tuesday- Property. Ugh. At least I have five full days to lock myself in a room and re-learn everything. Shouldn't be hard to do... right? Right?
+1. Can't wait for today to be over.

Then 4 days before my torts exam

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:04 am

I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 am

ilovesf wrote:I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!
+1. Better to go in fresh and ready to kill it on what you know rather than trying to learn some point of law that may or may not come up and be tired.

ocplaytime

New

Post by ocplaytime » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:09 am

ilovesf wrote:I don't understand people who can stay up late the night before a test and perform well. IMO, there's nothing better than a good night sleep!
its called necessity

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:23 am

Procrastination is not a necessity.

:wink:

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 am

ocplaytime wrote:
its called necessity
Yeah, that's how it went for me the night of LSAT (I think I got like 2 hrs sleep), and I did just above my recent averages. Had to sleep today though, and might take a quick nap in a bit before exam (sick, so I really need to let my brain cool off).

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 pm

istara wrote:Procrastination is not a necessity.

:wink:

Further, I'm in professional responsibility and the comments to ABA model rule 1.3 states that "[3] No professional shortcoming is more widely resented than procrastination. A client’s interests often can be adversely affected by the passage of time or the change in conditions; or when a lawyer overlooks a statute of limitations. Unreasonable delay can cause a client needless anxiety and undermine confidence in the lawyer’s trustworthiness. A lawyer’s duty to act with reasonable promptness, however, does not preclude the lawyer from agreeing to a reasonable request for a postponement that will not prejudice the lawyer’s client." Funny, I would have thought incompetence would win the day. Oh well. :D

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Or late studying at all. I'd rather get to the library at 7:30-8:00....sometimes 9:30 (*coughtodaycough*) and work with small breaks interspersed until 10:30-11 PM. I don't like staying up studying past 11 but I'm sure as many people or more don't like getting up early and studying at 7:30. Different strokes I suppose.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

alicrimson wrote:

Or late studying at all. I'd rather get to the library at 7:30-8:00....sometimes 9:30 (*coughtodaycough*) and work with small breaks interspersed until 10:30-11 PM. I don't like staying up studying past 11 but I'm sure as many people or more don't like getting up early and studying at 7:30. Different strokes I suppose.
Yeah, my day is starting now and I usually finish around 1-2 lol

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Just finished my first exam! Contracts...multiple choice wasn't too bad. I think the worst part is knowing that even if you did well, if everyone else did slightly better you're fucked. Thought I did well on the essay though - tried to spew as much on the paper as possible. I did find myself pretty much regurgitating my outline interposed with the fact pattern. Hopefully the high word count will help me.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:17 pm

orderofthings wrote:Just finished my first exam! Contracts...multiple choice wasn't too bad. I think the worst part is knowing that even if you did well, if everyone else did slightly better you're fucked. Thought I did well on the essay though - tried to spew as much on the paper as possible. I did find myself pretty much regurgitating my outline interposed with the fact pattern. Hopefully the high word count will help me.
High word count? The Hillman exam? Or Summers?

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
orderofthings wrote:Just finished my first exam! Contracts...multiple choice wasn't too bad. I think the worst part is knowing that even if you did well, if everyone else did slightly better you're fucked. Thought I did well on the essay though - tried to spew as much on the paper as possible. I did find myself pretty much regurgitating my outline interposed with the fact pattern. Hopefully the high word count will help me.
High word count? The Hillman exam? Or Summers?
Uh...Eisenberg?

I just meant that I know a lot of people on TLS think a high word count may help out for grading purposes. I just kinda went with the shotgun approach.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”