1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Guchster

Silver

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by Guchster » Thu May 10, 2012 12:06 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
This feels spot on for CrimLaw but not ConLaw IMO. If you boil down ConLaw, it is actually much easier to apply than most other classes (compared to Contracts and Crim and Property).
Picco and I have con law together. the exam didn't test what we learned in the course or major doctrinal points in con law.

Our crim law exam is a 3 hour exercise in statutory interpretation. The professor told me to use cases minimally, as he feels they can be distracting sometimes. I kid you not.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Which class/exam did you all think was the most professor-specific? Mine was k's; no hornbook in the world would help with the way this man teaches the class/formats exams.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm

DONE!
most prof-specific exam for us was ConLaw, just cuz the guy was new. 1st semester I did well in torts in part, I think, because I did a good job of using specific words/phrases that the professor used a lot. I think that's a really underrated strategy in writing exams.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu May 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Guchster wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
This feels spot on for CrimLaw but not ConLaw IMO. If you boil down ConLaw, it is actually much easier to apply than most other classes (compared to Contracts and Crim and Property).
Picco and I have con law together. the exam didn't test what we learned in the course or major doctrinal points in con law.

Our crim law exam is a 3 hour exercise in statutory interpretation. The professor told me to use cases minimally, as he feels they can be distracting sometimes. I kid you not.
Thank god for that; I'm learning Crim from Law In a Flash, Dressler, and the statutory interpretation book I barely cracked for Legislation. Lawd help me.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu May 10, 2012 12:49 pm

any good online lectures for con law? im so sick of reading, but also feel like i should still be doing something

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu May 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Four days and counting of doing NOTHING but sitting around since finals ended...bout ready to get back to work.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu May 10, 2012 12:52 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:any good online lectures for con law? im so sick of reading, but also feel like i should still be doing something
Anyone have any good crim law flow charts? I am lazy and my exam is tomorrow and I know nothing.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu May 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Guchster wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

This for CrimLaw. Didn't mention one case on my CrimLaw final. It was pretty much mens rea and applying the facts to a given statute with minimal amounts of doctrine.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu May 10, 2012 1:48 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
Guchster wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

This for CrimLaw. Didn't mention one case on my CrimLaw final. It was pretty much mens rea and applying the facts to a given statute with minimal amounts of doctrine.
Yup. We probably could've taken that final after the first two weeks of class. Once you have a grasp on mens rea, statutory interpretation, and basic crimes and defenses, you were good to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu May 10, 2012 2:44 pm

beachbum wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
Guchster wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

Yup. We probably could've taken that final after the first two weeks of class. Once you have a grasp on mens rea, statutory interpretation, and basic crimes and defenses, you were good to go.
Guess this is all I need to know for crim (which may actually be more than my prof knows): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYxBlT1flJ0

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Last final is due in 2.5 hours. SO EXCITED TO BE DONE

Unfortunately the write on competition is just starting and I have 500 pages of crap to read through. lolgoodone

Sapientia

Bronze

Post by Sapientia » Thu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Took civpro this morning.... and I'm done. Little more anti-climatic thna I thought itd' be. Interested to seee grades

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Sapientia wrote:Took civpro this morning.... and I'm done. Little more anti-climatic thna I thought itd' be. Interested to seee grades
I'll be done in 21 hours. Apparently, my con law prof traditionally releases grades during the last final. So about halfway through my contracts final tomorrow, our con law grades will be posted. How's that for something to think about during the exam. I don't even get a couple weeks of being blissfully unaware of how I did. Though I gotta give him props for grading the exams in 10 days, as opposed to the usual 30.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Thu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Guchster wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

Jealous. Edgar plans to test the NYPC, the MPC, and federal law. And it's at 10AM.

Sapientia

Bronze

Post by Sapientia » Thu May 10, 2012 4:16 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Sapientia wrote:Took civpro this morning.... and I'm done. Little more anti-climatic thna I thought itd' be. Interested to seee grades
I'll be done in 21 hours. Apparently, my con law prof traditionally releases grades during the last final. So about halfway through my contracts final tomorrow, our con law grades will be posted. How's that for something to think about during the exam. I don't even get a couple weeks of being blissfully unaware of how I did. Though I gotta give him props for grading the exams in 10 days, as opposed to the usual 30.
Ha, that's pretty messed up. I don't know if I'd be able to refrain from looking, even during an exam

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm

camelcrema wrote:
Guchster wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

Jealous. Edgar plans to test the NYPC, the MPC, and federal law. And it's at 10AM.
But you'll be done early!!!!!

Also, at least your grade won't be a random lottery (like ours will be). I'm not even certain our prof will read the exams.

Also, picco, a friend told me our lurker classmates are talking about our posts in here. We are quasi section famous.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu May 10, 2012 5:32 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
That's a really fast turnaround for grades. Ours are supposed to be posted June 4th... which is my first day of work. It's going to be SO hard not to check during the day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
That's a really fast turnaround for grades. Ours are supposed to be posted June 4th... which is my first day of work. It's going to be SO hard not to check during the day.
June 4th? Thanks.

I'll have to resist the urge to check. I don't want my co-workers to see me break down after getting straight B's. :|

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Thu May 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Last edited by jjlaw on Thu May 10, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu May 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Guchster wrote: Also, picco, a friend told me our lurker classmates are talking about our posts in here. We are quasi section famous.
Haha that could actually have been me. I was talking about citing cases.

ETA: wtf was that???? TLS changed my post to something about a buttplug?

Omg, I think it's because I typed our crim professor's name, and TLS automatically changes anything that starts with those first three letters. Scared the crap out of me!

TTTLS

Bronze

Post by TTTLS » Thu May 10, 2012 6:42 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Guchster wrote: Also, picco, a friend told me our lurker classmates are talking about our posts in here. We are quasi section famous.
Haha that could actually have been me. I was talking about citing cases.

ETA: wtf was that???? TLS changed my post to something about a buttplug?

Omg, I think it's because I typed our crim professor's name, and TLS automatically changes anything that starts with those first three letters. Scared the crap out of me!
LMAO

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 pm

ilovesf wrote:That's a really fast turnaround for grades. Ours are supposed to be posted June 4th... which is my first day of work. It's going to be SO hard not to check during the day.
That's REALLY fast! I'm not sure when we get ours, but I'm sure no where near that soon.

LOLyer

Bronze

Post by LOLyer » Thu May 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Done! Lets hope all the hard work pays off.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:25 pm

JenDarby wrote:
ilovesf wrote:That's a really fast turnaround for grades. Ours are supposed to be posted June 4th... which is my first day of work. It's going to be SO hard not to check during the day.
That's REALLY fast! I'm not sure when we get ours, but I'm sure no where near that soon.
Yeah, that is very fast. I'm expecting ours probably last week of June maybe.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 pm

ph14 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Yeah, that is very fast. I'm expecting ours probably last week of June maybe.
That is insanely fast. Too fast.

I'm happy though because I received an email from the registrar that this semester we will get our grades as our professors post them and we should get all of our grades in by June 10th. This is much better than last semester when we got everything at once at the end of January, a month and a half after our finals.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”