1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
alicrimson

Silver

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by alicrimson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Another 1L checking in. I can't believe we only have another month to prep. I must say, I thought I'd be more stressed at this point; however, I'm pleasantly not. I haven't done a ton. I decided to merge my notes/thoughts with an outline given to me by an older student. I know most on TLS don't like this approach but I think the time spent condensing and working through practice tests is more help to me than worrying about how far to indent or what shape bullets I want. We shall see. I've only missed one or two classes worth of reading for the semester but have made those up. Also, have about finished the contracts E&E and have taken a contracts practice exam, which my prof has so kindly agreed to mark up with comments. The rough draft of the memo was due last Thursday and the final one is due the 14th. This month will be key. I intend on condensing the outlines, making checklists, and reading E&Es for the next two weeks. After that, practice tests. Many of them.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:18 pm

When do most of your guys' finals start? I feel like I'm a bit behind where I should be right now compared to some of the other posts in this thread, but then again my first final is on Dec. 11th and spread out until a few days before Christmas, which I think is later than almost everyone else.

Anyways, game plan for the next 2 weeks is to finish up all the readings through the entire semester, while updating the outlines along the way for those sections.

Then by Nov. ~20th or so start taking practice tests, doing at least 5x tests/class.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:39 pm

dabomb75 wrote:When do most of your guys' finals start? I feel like I'm a bit behind where I should be right now compared to some of the other posts in this thread, but then again my first final is on Dec. 11th and spread out until a few days before Christmas, which I think is later than almost everyone else.

Anyways, game plan for the next 2 weeks is to finish up all the readings through the entire semester, while updating the outlines along the way for those sections.

Then by Nov. ~20th or so start taking practice tests, doing at least 5x tests/class.

Ive got a final on the 29th of Nov, and thats still not enough to kick start me into studying... This will probably not end well for me.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Ours start the 13th and go until the 23rd. Kind of sucks to be that close to the holiday, but we have at least 2 days in between each final to study.

Should be fun...

zzzwww

New

Post by zzzwww » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:51 pm

I just screwed up my mid-term. Although it doesn't count in final, it hurts!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:07 pm

zzzwww wrote:I just screwed up my mid-term. Although it doesn't count in final, it hurts!

i didnt do too well on my midterms, just because i didnt study much for it. At least I know I did poorly not studying and it can only get better.
Last edited by merc280 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Civ Pro outline is up to date. I feel so accomplished that now I am entirely too lazy to edit my memo. Maybe another beer will get me back into gear..

Finals here start Dec 5th.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:28 pm

dabomb75 wrote:When do most of your guys' finals start? I feel like I'm a bit behind where I should be right now compared to some of the other posts in this thread, but then again my first final is on Dec. 11th and spread out until a few days before Christmas, which I think is later than almost everyone else.

Mine start December 6 and go to 16. Its a long span but the two, sometimes three, full days between each test should help break things up a bit.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:35 pm

My first final is on a Tuesday, my second the following Monday, and my third that Thursday. Love the huge gaps!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:52 pm

i've got finals dec 1,7,14.. nice even spread between them

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:i've got finals dec 1,7,14.. nice even spread between them
I thought I had it good but that's awesome.

starlight007

New

Post by starlight007 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:50 am

As of today, I have 8 classes left before finals. I'm noticing that class has become optional now as the library has become increasingly fuller, and my sweet spot that I have hogged since August is sometimes occupied to my disbelief.

For example, I'm in the library when i should be in class :/

Good luck all :)

jess

Post by jess » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:29 pm

morris248 wrote:
Is the benefit of taking practice exams the process of taking them or do you need model answers to get the benefit?
You need model answers or you are wasting your time. There are plenty of places on the net or from other students to get past exams with model answers. You want to do the hypo under timed conditions and then compare your answer to the model answer.

Yeah i kinda figured that, but all of my professor's past exams dont have model answers... sooooo, what the #*$# do I do about that?

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
morris248 wrote:
Is the benefit of taking practice exams the process of taking them or do you need model answers to get the benefit?
You need model answers or you are wasting your time. There are plenty of places on the net or from other students to get past exams with model answers. You want to do the hypo under timed conditions and then compare your answer to the model answer.

Yeah i kinda figured that, but all of my professor's past exams dont have model answers... sooooo, what the #*$# do I do about that?
You write up your answer and present both a hard copy of your answer and the exam to your prof. Ask if he/she will be willing to review it for you first though. Make a separate appointment. I think some profs get annoyed if you just go up to them and say hey heres my test review it.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 pm

adonai wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
morris248 wrote:

You write up your answer and present both a hard copy of your answer and the exam to your prof. Ask if he/she will be willing to review it for you first though. Make a separate appointment. I think some profs get annoyed if you just go up to them and say hey heres my test review it.
thanks. One more question for those willing to give feedback. I've slipped a little in my civ pro outlining. A 2L who had the same prof. last year sent me her huge outline, as well as a skeleton outline. I'm thinking about using a big chunk of her larger outline and then cutting it down in my own way, in the interest of time. Does any one think this is REALLY harmful? I've gone through and made sure all of her info is correct and am inserting things here and there, but this seems like a major time save so i can focus on doing practice questions and outlining for all other classes. Thought?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 pm

buckilaw wrote:I have a multiple choice property exam this semester, no practice tests for it. Have two whole practice tests for K's and 1 for Con Law. What's the typical course of action where there a only a few, or zero, practice tests for a given course?
Had this last year. 6 of us each came up with 5+ questions, someone compiled them, we did them on our own then went through it, each person explaining their questions. Wasn't perfectly like the real exam, but remarkably close, when you considered it as a whole.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:37 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
morris248 wrote:

Use tests from other professors that have model answers? Does your school not have an online exam bank or an exam bank in the library or something for other professors?

That's my plan anyways. As long as you're able to recognize what stuff your teacher cares and won't care about in these other exams, it'll still give you the practice for issue spotting.

I have a professor that doesn't release any of his practice exams so I'm hoping this will work well enough

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:39 pm

rocon7383 wrote: thanks. One more question for those willing to give feedback. I've slipped a little in my civ pro outlining. A 2L who had the same prof. last year sent me her huge outline, as well as a skeleton outline. I'm thinking about using a big chunk of her larger outline and then cutting it down in my own way, in the interest of time. Does any one think this is REALLY harmful? I've gone through and made sure all of her info is correct and am inserting things here and there, but this seems like a major time save so i can focus on doing practice questions and outlining for all other classes. Thought?
i''m doing this now and i really don't care what anyone says, whether it be good or bad. my only advice is make sure that person did well and the outline is 100% correct and be sure to add any new things your professor may have added/changed from the year prior.

i changed some things but for the most part i've just simply memorized their outline. people say the process of making an outline is where you learn the material, and i can see that it is valid for many people, but it isn't necessary. i have no problem committing things to memory if i want to; i just sit down, and memorize the outlines cold. i know the law, and i know the things brought up in class. i've saved so much time that way (took me about 2-3 full days to go through and memorize an outline) and i just need to focus on applying it on an exam. if i don't do well on exams, it won't be because of the outline, that's for sure.

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Got my midterm grade today and found out I finished third, one point behind the people tied for #1.

Nice. Now its time to finish this open memo!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:43 pm

Seminole_305 wrote:Got my midterm grade today and found out I finished third, one point behind the people tied for #1.

congrats! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:44 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
thanks. One more question for those willing to give feedback. I've slipped a little in my civ pro outlining. A 2L who had the same prof. last year sent me her huge outline, as well as a skeleton outline. I'm thinking about using a big chunk of her larger outline and then cutting it down in my own way, in the interest of time. Does any one think this is REALLY harmful? I've gone through and made sure all of her info is correct and am inserting things here and there, but this seems like a major time save so i can focus on doing practice questions and outlining for all other classes. Thought?
This is kind of what I'm doing for Ks, which I found hard to outline due to my prof's way of teaching. I used the skeleton of an old outline and essentially filled it in, erased altered/uncovered topics, and molded it to make it my own. The old outline serves as a guide, but I supplement and "fix" it, kind of like fixing up a used car type thing. Seems to strike the perfect balance of saving time and learning by doing.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Seminole_305 wrote:Got my midterm grade today and found out I finished third, one point behind the people tied for #1.

Yeah. I'm pretty astounded I did so well on my midterm (I was actually feeling pretty shitty about the memo). Was intimidated by the active participants in class, never briefed beyond the first couple of weeks, never highlighted or wrote in the book, only cracked an E&E/hornbook when I didn't understand something, and outlined the day before. It just goes to show that you have trust yourself above all else and not be intimidated by everyone else's strategies. I thought I was being lazy for not doing more work, but it turns out it was just right. Know thyself I suppose.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:45 pm

late to the party, checking in.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:45 pm

first final isnt until dec 12, last one is the 22nd...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”