1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tedalbany

Gold

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by tedalbany » Wed May 02, 2012 10:56 am

merc280 wrote:
tedalbany wrote:
Lasers wrote:i have realized that i have never, ever, benefited from a review session...
I never benefit from Q&A review sessions, but I do benefit from 'overall review' review sessions. My torts review professor had a powerpoint and briefly went over all of tort law. I made my outline during that review and used it on the exam from his slides. Got an A.

At this point in my torts study, and considering my exam is in 27 hours, should i just keep doing mbe questions or reading over the power point slides the professor has, which although he claims isn't an outline pretty much covers the course.
Read over the slides and your notes and keep doing practice exams (get some from other schools online if you need to, like Pepperdine has a large publicly accessible exam set I think). You probably don't have time to do them in full, just outline answers and read through the answers given to make sure you hit everything (assuming you have written out at least a couple full practice exams for torts thus far and know how to write a torts exam).

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 am

tedalbany wrote:
merc280 wrote:
tedalbany wrote:
Lasers wrote:i have realized that i have never, ever, benefited from a review session...
I never benefit from Q&A review sessions, but I do benefit from 'overall review' review sessions. My torts review professor had a powerpoint and briefly went over all of tort law. I made my outline during that review and used it on the exam from his slides. Got an A.

At this point in my torts study, and considering my exam is in 27 hours, should i just keep doing mbe questions or reading over the power point slides the professor has, which although he claims isn't an outline pretty much covers the course.
Read over the slides and your notes and keep doing practice exams (get some from other schools online if you need to, like Pepperdine has a large publicly accessible exam set I think). You probably don't have time to do them in full, just outline answers and read through the answers given to make sure you hit everything (assuming you have written out at least a couple full practice exams for torts thus far and know how to write a torts exam).

Test is all MC. Would writing out answers to essay tests help in this case?

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Wed May 02, 2012 11:15 am

merc280 wrote:
tedalbany wrote:
merc280 wrote:
tedalbany wrote:

Test is all MC. Would writing out answers to essay tests help in this case?
Oh weird. Keep doing MC practice then. I'd still look through a couple torts essay answers though from that pepperdine site, it explains things pretty well and might help you remember some nuances - just don't bother writing out an exam.

Sirius

New

Post by Sirius » Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am

Anyone take K's yet? Did you cite a lot of BLL or stick more to Case Law?

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 am

Sirius wrote:Anyone take K's yet? Did you cite a lot of BLL or stick more to Case Law?

I have this kinda awesome K's checklist that included all of the things we studied this semester. I'd be happy to share it to whoever wants it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm

for my K class, I did UCC, common contract law, and then case law or modern law if there was a change or something to support or note, that is what the professor asked for in the class tho, a complete analysis from all sides

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed May 02, 2012 12:05 pm

akili wrote:
Hannibal wrote:TWO(ish) MORE DAYS
Amen. Friday is going to be a shitshow.
Agreed. I'm just angry because I have a 5 hour drive after a 4 hour exam before I can even commence with anything fun related.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Wed May 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Sirius wrote:Anyone take K's yet? Did you cite a lot of BLL or stick more to Case Law?
Taking Ks now, but from my understanding you cite the law and follow it more closely for anything that would implicate the UCC. Other than that though K law seems like a very flexible/amorphous area (as stated by my professor and the chirelstein book), so I wouldn't just cite hard and fast BLL, I'm planning on sticking to more cases and factor analysis with a good heaping of public policy/future implications.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed May 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Reading all this Contracts stuff, I think I really dodged the bullet on it with my professor. He told us to completely disregard the UCC and focus solely on common law. I think it would've been a different story on its relative ease if we'd integrated UCC rules in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm

crossarmant wrote:Reading all this Contracts stuff, I think I really dodged the bullet on it with my professor. He told us to completely disregard the UCC and focus solely on common law. I think it would've been a different story on its relative ease if we'd integrated UCC rules in.
Youre telling me brother. I had to incorporate the UCC, the common law, the CISG, AND local state statutes into my closed book analysis.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 02, 2012 12:22 pm

On another note, the fucking law library is full of fucking undergrads.

Get the fuck out of here!!! Go to your own library. Why the fuck are you in here?

I dont know if anyone else on here has this problem, but it pisses me off because I had to go to the second floor where its all secluded and icky. I like working on the first floor because I can look out the glass windows and people watch if I get bored. Plus, I can step outside easily.

Ugh. There are even signs posted around here that the law library is restricted to law students until May 10th, but obviously the undergrads dont care and the library staff isnt enforcing this.

:|

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed May 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:Crim Law Essay format Question

Say I have a homicide fact pattern, what would be the best way to lay it out?

I was thinking about this order:
A v. B
A is legally responsible for the unlawful killing of B
* Rule for homicide type
* Actus Reus/Mens Rea
* Causation (actual/legal)
* Conclusion

A is legally responsible for burglary
* CL rule for burglary
* Actus Reus/Mens Rea
* Conclusion

Is that all? It seems too simple and I don't know crim law, so I'm sceptical. I should probably talk about why it isn't a higher level of homicide also, where should I put that? Also, what about policy? Where is the best place to make policy arguments?
Dressler required us to use a certain format (and yet, some people still didn't, lol). His format was:

A v. B (criminal homicide)
- Voluntary Act
- Social harm
- Mens rea
- Actual cause
- Proximate cause
- Justification Defense
- Excuse Defenses

Go through all those headings and you won't miss any important steps :)

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:24 pm

gdane wrote:On another note, the fucking law library is full of fucking undergrads.

Get the fuck out of here!!! Go to your own library. Why the fuck are you in here?

I dont know if anyone else on here has this problem, but it pisses me off because I had to go to the second floor where its all secluded and icky. I like working on the first floor because I can look out the glass windows and people watch if I get bored. Plus, I can step outside easily.

Ugh. There are even signs posted around here that the law library is restricted to law students until May 10th, but obviously the undergrads dont care and the library staff isnt enforcing this.

same problem here. Bunch of weirdo's walking around talking on the phone. In addition to this problem, the school decided it was a good time to do electrical work in the library and pressure wash the outside.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:28 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Crim Law Essay format Question

Say I have a homicide fact pattern, what would be the best way to lay it out?

I was thinking about this order:
A v. B
A is legally responsible for the unlawful killing of B
* Rule for homicide type
* Actus Reus/Mens Rea
* Conclusion

A is legally responsible for burglary
* CL rule for burglary
* Actus Reus/Mens Rea
* Conclusion

Is that all? It seems too simple and I don't know crim law, so I'm sceptical. I should probably talk about why it isn't a higher level of homicide also, where should I put that? Also, what about policy? Where is the best place to make policy arguments?
Dressler required us to use a certain format (and yet, some people still didn't, lol). His format was:

A v. B (criminal homicide)
- Voluntary Act
- Social harm
- Mens rea
- Actual cause
- Proximate cause
- Justification Defense
- Excuse Defenses

Go through all those headings and you won't miss any important steps :)

for my crim test, its open book so Ive decided to just use pre made outlines. The professor says she doesn't even know what she would like us to write the final only that don't use words like "This is clearly", because not only is nothing clear in crim law, she just doesn't like to see it. She also said to just throw the kitchen sink at every issue we find and she'll sort through the info later, and also that the order in which anything is written doesn't matter either.....super vague.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed May 02, 2012 1:04 pm

gdane wrote:On another note, the fucking law library is full of fucking undergrads.

Had the same issue two nights ago. The worst part is that they'll fucking chat it up too, despite all the floors being quiet zones. Drives me batty.

jess

Post by jess » Wed May 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTTLS

Bronze

Post by TTTLS » Wed May 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Finished my property outline a long time. Too bad I don't remember any of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm

TTTLS wrote:Good lord. My civ pro exam was totally fucked. Pure PWNage. I am shocked over just how brutal it was. The blood was pooling in the seat of my pants 30 minutes in. :( I am seriously hating life right now. Professor Fubar wasn't kidding.
Same. So glad that its over. just awful...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed May 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Jessuf wrote:If they aren't there to study, then why would they hang out in a library on a Friday night?
This is something baffling to me. I was at the library late Saturday and there was a group of about 7 people who had spent most of the day in a group study room just playing around, watching videos on their laptops, playing music, etc. Why the fuck would people loiter around on campus when you have no intention of actually working?

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Jessuf wrote:If they aren't there to study, then why would they hang out in a library on a Friday night?
This is something baffling to me. I was at the library late Saturday and there was a group of about 7 people who had spent most of the day in a group study room just playing around, watching videos on their laptops, playing music, etc. Why the fuck would people loiter around on campus when you have no intention of actually working?
probably so they can feel good about themselves, or they feel a need to prove to themselves that they are putting work in and get a false sense of accomplishment.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed May 02, 2012 1:46 pm

im at the point where i know what is needed to complete my preparation for civ pro and... just.... cant..... force..... my .... body... to... do.. it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 02, 2012 1:48 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:im at the point where i know what is needed to complete my preparation for civ pro and... just.... cant..... force..... my .... body... to... do.. it
You were able to type this statement up pretty well.

You can do it. Come on! You got this!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed May 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Making pretty good progress on K's. I mean, I haven't paid attention all semester so I have a lot of work, but I got a last burst of motivation. Slogging my way through Battle o' the Forms and Parol (NO E) Evidence right now.

Hopefully I can sustain this through tomorrow too. And then blessed freedom.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:02 pm

akili wrote:Making pretty good progress on K's. I mean, I haven't paid attention all semester so I have a lot of work, but I got a last burst of motivation. Slogging my way through Battle o' the Forms and Parol (NO E) Evidence right now.

Hopefully I can sustain this through tomorrow too. And then blessed freedom.

our funny professor said "if you use an E on the exam, you will look STUPID, so please don't do that"

LOLyer

Bronze

Post by LOLyer » Wed May 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Restatements braahh

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”