1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
northwood

Platinum

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by northwood » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:46 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH just realized i missed a simple defense for my second hypo. talked about it for another character byt not for one. its one issue i missed, but i didnt think about the test until just now, and im like golly darn it like homefries im an idiot...

guess i better change my grade to c minus ( do we have a fall semestr grade prediction thread yet?)

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 am

First exam in 45 minutes... it would be really great if my stomach would settle down. Reading over model answers from past exams, I feel okay. My body just doesn't seem to be getting the message. I've never been a smoker, but days like today I could really use it.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 am

bostonlawchick wrote:First exam in 45 minutes... it would be really great if my stomach would settle down. Reading over model answers from past exams, I feel okay. My body just doesn't seem to be getting the message. I've never been a smoker, but days like today I could really use it.

take a poop and go pee... you got a case of the nerves... and you dont want to have to get up in the middle of the test. relax and listen to some calming music, you got this

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 am

im also waiting for my first exam to start.. the school has it very well planned.. we were told to basically just sit on our e-mail accounts from 8 to 10 because sometime in that two hour period is when the academic services lady will waddle herself into work and send an e-mail with the password to unlock our exams. nothing more relaxing than worrying that you dont get an e-mail necessary for taking an exam you prepared 15 weeks for

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 am

BlueDiamond wrote:im also waiting for my first exam to start.. the school has it very well planned.. we were told to basically just sit on our e-mail accounts from 8 to 10 because sometime in that two hour period is when the academic services lady will waddle herself into work and send an e-mail with the password to unlock our exams. nothing more relaxing than worrying that you dont get an e-mail necessary for taking an exam you prepared 15 weeks for

preppe 15 weeks, i mean shoot i only prepped for 1.5 weeks :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:09 am

I was so nevous that I answerd SMJ for a pj question, and I also deducted a claim off the case on my own so it affected my Supp jdx analysis. Feel like shit. Granted they are all little points but they add up. Please tell me it's not the end of the world. I totally know this stuff and I just hate myself for getting too confident before the exam and then getting too nervous at the beginning of the test after I saw that professor totally changed up the test style. Ahhhh fuck!

trombonian

New

Post by trombonian » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 am

Apple Tree wrote:I was so nevous that I answerd SMJ for a pj question, and I also deducted a claim off the case on my own so it affected my Supp jdx analysis. Feel like shit. Granted they are all little points but they add up. Please tell me it's not the end of the world. I totally know this stuff and I just hate myself for getting too confident before the exam and then getting too nervous at the beginning of the test after I saw that professor totally changed up the test style. Ahhhh fuck!
I feel you man... I spent too much time trying to figure out a little trick the prof put on the exam then panicked and totally flubbed the rest. In serious danger of getting a LP and basically ending my "law career" on my first exam. I looked back at the exam question and saw at least a half dozen fairly easy things I missed.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:42 am

NYC Law wrote:A sick twisted part of me kind of enjoys law school finals. I kind of want to do more, lots more.
I totally feel you here. It's weird. It's this giant adrenaline rush and this interesting little puzzle of facts that you have to interpret and twist. There is kind of a right answer, but really, it's about understanding the subject matter and being able to manipulate it to your will. If it weren't the sole determinant for my career, it'd definitely be a lot more fun.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 am

Also, I'm looking for something like Siegel's Torts for Contracts. Short hypos and multiple choice questions so that I can study over them; I'm not seeing a Siegel's Contracts in my library, what else do you guys suggest?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:49 am

I'm kind of annoyed that for one of my finals each question covered the exact same main issue as the 4 practice essays the professor gave throughout the semester, and didn't really include any other issues from the course. All that agonizing over old exams and looking for as many issues as possible was for nothing, I could have just studied and redone the stupid practice problems and that would have been enough work for that course for the entire semester...

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 am

Civ Pro Question;

When D impleads a third party defendant under 14a, that's not a compulsory counterclaim, right? Is it a counterclaim at all, or a cross claim?

Is this is why you don't wait till the morning of exam to do practice exams? fml

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:08 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Civ Pro Question;

When D impleads a third party defendant under 14a, that's not a compulsory counterclaim, right? Is it a counterclaim at all, or a cross claim?

Is this is why you don't wait till the morning of exam to do practice exams? fml
I think you're right. One caveat, the original plaintiff would have to then file any compulsory claims he has against the 3rd party defendant, or else risk not being able to bring them later under res judicata.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 am

crossarmant wrote:Also, I'm looking for something like Siegel's Torts for Contracts. Short hypos and multiple choice questions so that I can study over them; I'm not seeing a Siegel's Contracts in my library, what else do you guys suggest?
can't help you but I've been looking for the same thing. Our library has Siegel's for every 1L class BUT contracts...kind of a pain

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 am

homestyle28 wrote:

I think you're right. One caveat, the original plaintiff would have to then file any compulsory claims he has against the 3rd party defendant, or else risk not being able to bring them later under res judicata.
Thanks for the caveat. And so it is a cross-claim?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 am

last final in an hour and fifteen minutes! wohoo!

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:21 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

it would be a cross if they are on the same side of the v., so the D brought in the 3rd party, the 3rd party is now on D's side so there is 1P and 2D's; if you get a Q like that check the citizenship, if P tries to bring a claim against the impleaded 3rd party, there still needs to be diversity (cite strawbridge - always need diversity)

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 am

After my first couple exams I am bewildered.....do law school exams really test anything?

On my civ pro exam all there were was personal j questions and we covered a lot more than that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:32 am

thegrayman wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

it would be a cross if they are on the same side of the v., so the D brought in the 3rd party, the 3rd party is now on D's side so there is 1P and 2D's; if you get a Q like that check the citizenship, if P tries to bring a claim against the impleaded 3rd party, there still needs to be diversity (cite strawbridge - always need diversity)
Thanks so much! I completely forgot about that while doing the problem. One thing now, (in diversity case) what if 3rd party D is the first to file something against P (and both are from the first state)? Not allowed, right?

edit; oh, sorry. To be sure again, D impleading TPD who is not diverse from P is okay, right?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:43 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:edit; oh, sorry. To be sure again, D impleading TPD who is not diverse from P is okay, right?
From my understanding it is okay if P does not assert a claim against the 3PD. You need SMJDX for all claims.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Sorry realizing I misunderstood your question...I blame fatigue! I don't think the original rule 14 impleader claim is either a counter or cross claim. A counter claim has to cross the "v" and a cross claim is between defendants. Once the 3rd party D is joined, there might then be counter and cross claims, but I'd just call the original claim an impleader claim.

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Torts Question - Defamation: If someone is accidentally overheard disclosing the false things that harm P's reputation does that count as publication?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Last edited by PMan99 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:54 pm

lalala21 wrote:Torts Question - Defamation: If someone is accidentally overheard disclosing the false things that harm P's reputation does that count as publication?
Disclosing things to whom? Publication means just one other person besides p and d, so the original disclosure will be publication. Or did you mean the d was talking to himself...?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:58 pm

Another torts question: when you have a situation that would otherwise fall under the now-defunct impact rule (i.e. there is an impact but only emotional damages), does that now fall under normal negligence, and the p can recover only for those? I kept thinking that emotional damages (like mental distress/resultant phobias, not p&s) had to be parasitic to a compensable physical injury of some kind... help?

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:07 pm

piccolittle wrote:
lalala21 wrote:Torts Question - Defamation: If someone is accidentally overheard disclosing the false things that harm P's reputation does that count as publication?
Disclosing things to whom? Publication means just one other person besides p and d, so the original disclosure will be publication. Or did you mean the d was talking to himself...?

Yeah I guess if D was talking to himself or to P and was accidentally overheard by a third party.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”