1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Hannibal

Gold

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by Hannibal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Fucking hidden erie questions.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Hannibal wrote:Fucking hidden erie questions.
Share?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Share?
It was a "you're the attorney, make every relevant argument and counterargument about why these claims should be dismissed" or something like that. Somehow I didn't make the connection between a state disallowing a class action and the Shady Grove case that says the court should ignore that kind of thing because it conflicts with Rule 23.

Seriously can't believe I missed that. Heart wasn't really in the PT I'm guessing/hoping.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Share?
It was a "you're the attorney, make every relevant argument and counterargument about why these claims should be dismissed" or something like that. Somehow I didn't make the connection between a state disallowing a class action and the Shady Grove case that says the court should ignore that kind of thing because it conflicts with Rule 23.

Seriously can't believe I missed that. Heart wasn't really in the PT I'm guessing/hoping.

Brutal. I'm hoping I didn't miss anything like that on my exam. I thought I caught a hidden pleading issue..hopefully nothing like that, though.

On my prof's exam last year, one of the questions just said "should A settle with B?" because we went over some basic litigation and settlement theory. He said only 10 people caught that there was not any PJ over the person offering the settlement.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Keep trying to write out practice questions but they take me forever because I pretty much get bored and distracted (plus taking time to think/flip through outline). Exam is on Friday. Should I be concerned that I don't know anything yet and these questions take forever? I feel like I'm not going to have a good sense of pace and timing until (hopefully) the day before the test. Grrr.

Also, how do you guys IRAC? I tend to write out the full definitions etc in one paragraph (like "a fraudulent misrepresentation is one which..." blah blah) and then apply it in a new paragraph (as in, "here, mattei will argue that the misrepresentation is fraudulent because the president knew at the time that she did not have a reasonable basis to know or assert its truth"). Does that make sense or do you guys work sentence by sentence (as in definition. rule. application. definition. rule. application)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Feeling pretty good about civ pro. I think it probably has come at expense of my other classes though. I need to really get going on them.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

ph14 wrote:Feeling pretty good about civ pro. I think it probably has come at expense of my other classes though. I need to really get going on them.
This is me, exactly.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:02 pm

piccolittle wrote:Keep trying to write out practice questions but they take me forever because I pretty much get bored and distracted (plus taking time to think/flip through outline). Exam is on Friday. Should I be concerned that I don't know anything yet and these questions take forever? I feel like I'm not going to have a good sense of pace and timing until (hopefully) the day before the test. Grrr.

Also, how do you guys IRAC? I tend to write out the full definitions etc in one paragraph (like "a fraudulent misrepresentation is one which..." blah blah) and then apply it in a new paragraph (as in, "here, mattei will argue that the misrepresentation is fraudulent because the president knew at the time that she did not have a reasonable basis to know or assert its truth"). Does that make sense or do you guys work sentence by sentence (as in definition. rule. application. definition. rule. application)?
Based on the sample answers my profs have supplied, I say go sentence by sentence. Exam writing is different from memo writing.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 pm

do some states still use contributory negligence? I have in my notes that Li v Yellow Cab overruled CN, but I also have that some states still use it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Property oh property, you are slowly destroying my soul.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Okay I have a protocol question.

When the professor asks for best argument and then problems with the argument, and one of the problems is comparative negligence,
do you then do P's rebuttal to the comparative neg claim? I assume you have to flesh out the comparative negligence claim, and I was wondering if doing rebuttals would be going too far. (this is for a word limited question)

Thanks!

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:17 pm

thegrayman wrote:do some states still use contributory negligence? I have in my notes that Li v Yellow Cab overruled CN, but I also have that some states still use it?
some states still do, NC for one + some Southeastern US states

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:27 pm

civ pro question.

P is someone who got hit by a car, owned by a DE(inc)/MA(PPb) corporation, in CA. P lived in CA at the time of the accident. The corporation also has offices and most of its lower level offices and customers in Miami(which is what i thought were minimum contacts?). P moves to Miami permanently and THEN sues over the action, based on diversity, and in MIA. Corp. moves to dismiss for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. My book says their motion ahould be denied because diversity exists.

Can someone explain why minimum contacts and purposeful availment in Fl are irrelevant?

The book says: P is deemed a citizen of the state where she resides at the time the suit is filed, (so FL). So do they just completely ignore the minimum contacts? Why is this not being tried in DE or MA then?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 pm

rocon7383 wrote:civ pro question.

P is someone who got hit by a car, owned by a DE(inc)/MA(PPb) corporation, in CA. P lived in CA at the time of the accident. The corporation also has offices and most of its lower level offices and customers in Miami(which is what i thought were minimum contacts?). P moves to Miami permanently and THEN sues over the action, based on diversity, and in MIA. Corp. moves to dismiss for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. My book says their motion ahould be denied because diversity exists.

Can someone explain why minimum contacts and purposeful availment in Fl are irrelevant?

The book says: P is deemed a citizen of the state where she resides at the time the suit is filed, (so FL). So do they just completely ignore the minimum contacts? Why is this not being tried in DE or MA then?
isn't it because diversity is based on domicile, and the minimum contacts analysis is used only to figure out where you can sue?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:37 pm

thegrayman wrote:

isn't it because diversity is based on domicile, and the minimum contacts analysis is used only to figure out where you can sue?

Ok, so, for the sake of argument- P, a CA citizen, sues in diversity, the D for a breach of contract arising out of the D's functionality and offices in Fla. He brings this case in Fla, and it would be acceptable due to minimum contacts? I just don't understand how this minimum contact test goes out of the window when P is domiciled in Fla. So when he's a Fla resident, the corp's functionality in the district is irrelevant and diversity is ok because only DE and MA matter.
Last edited by rocon7383 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:37 pm

I mean diversity and Subject Matter Jurisdiction do exist, assuming the amount in controversy is over 75,000. I believe you are confusing personal jurisdiction and subject matter jurisdiction. shouldnt be dismissed for lack of subject matter jurisdiction technically. It may be dismissed for lack of personal jurisdiction because the contacts with florida, while they do have some, are not related to the claim. So unless the contacts were systematic and continuous to invoke general personal jurisdiction, there probably is not personal jurisdiction. Sounds like the contacts with miami would work if courts used the "muscle test" instead of the nerve test because the PPb is generally a place where general jdx is okay, but they use the Nerve test. And you even said the PPb is in MA.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:43 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
thegrayman wrote:

Ok, so, for the sake of argument- P, a CA citizen, sues in diversity, the D for a breach of contract arising out of the D's functionality and offices in Fla. He brings this case in Fla, and it would be acceptable due to minimum contacts? I just don't understand how this minimum contact test goes out of the window when P is domiciled in Fla. So when he's a Fla resident, the corp's functionality in the district is irrelevant and diversity is ok because only DE and MA matter.
I understand it like this (someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

subject matter jurisdiction is going to be based on diversity since it is a state cause of action (breach of contract). for diversity, they base it on domicile, so diversity exists.
personal jurisdiction is based on where the defendant can be brought into court without offending "fair play and substantial justice" or the myriad other tests out there. for PJ, you would look at the contacts with the forum state to see if it would be fair to make the D go there to litigate the suit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:44 pm

$peppercorn wrote:

I mean diversity and Subject Matter Jurisdiction do exist, assuming the amount in controversy is over 75,000. I believe you are confusing personal jurisdiction and subject matter jurisdiction. shouldnt be dismissed for lack of subject matter jurisdiction technically. It may be dismissed for lack of personal jurisdiction because the contacts with florida, while they do have some, are not related to the claim. So unless the contacts were systematic and continuous to invoke general personal jurisdiction, there probably is not personal jurisdiction. Sounds like the contacts with miami would work if courts used the "muscle test" instead of the nerve test because the PPb is generally a place where general jdx is okay, but they use the Nerve test. And you even said the PPb is in MA.
Ok, I guess i'm just getting effed up by confusing subject matter and personal. the question is sneaky, the majority of the company's employees and customers, PLUS most of its trucking routes are entirely within Fla. And the P, a Fla native, is suing in Fla based on diversity. I guess, because to me this stinks as systematic and continuous I am having a difficult time reconciling diversity.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 pm

[/quote]

Ok, I guess i'm just getting effed up by confusing subject matter and personal. the question is sneaky, the majority of the company's employees and customers, PLUS most of its trucking routes are entirely within Fla. And the P, a Fla native, is suing in Fla based on diversity. I guess, because to me this stinks as systematic and continuous I am having a difficult time reconciling diversity.[/quote]

for sure, it sounds like the Q was made to highlight that little nuance. just keep in mind that SMJ and PJ are established using different tests

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:47 pm

thegrayman wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
thegrayman wrote:

I understand it like this (someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

subject matter jurisdiction is going to be based on diversity since it is a state cause of action (breach of contract). for diversity, they base it on domicile, so diversity exists.
personal jurisdiction is based on where the defendant can be brought into court without offending "fair play and substantial justice" or the myriad other tests out there. for PJ, you would look at the contacts with the forum state to see if it would be fair to make the D go there to litigate the suit.

I think i'm seeing my mistake. so NEVER look beyond PPB and INC for diversity? Systematic and Continuous is never ok for diversity? Is that the consensus?

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:51 pm

For a corporation that is right. PPB and state of Inc. are the only domiciles. Individual has one domicile. Partnerships have domicile wherever any partner is domiciled. Systematic and continuous should only be mentioned when you are talking about personal jurisdiction

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:52 pm

rocon7383 wrote: I think i'm seeing my mistake. so NEVER look beyond PPB and INC for diversity? Systematic and Continuous is never ok for diversity? Is that the consensus?
for diversity
test is based on domicile, so for the corporation you base on incorporation and PPB (there are different tests to establish PPB). systematic and continuous contacts would be used to establish PJ.

perhaps the question wanted you to argue that although the corporation had employees and what not in FL, using some PPB test you establish that it is actually not domiciled in FL, even though it has sufficient contacts to establish PJ?

that is my guess

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:53 pm

thanks. Been a verrrrrry long day, brain is close to fully mush. Bed soon.

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:54 pm

thegrayman wrote:
rocon7383 wrote: I think i'm seeing my mistake. so NEVER look beyond PPB and INC for diversity? Systematic and Continuous is never ok for diversity? Is that the consensus?
for diversity
test is based on domicile, so for the corporation you base on incorporation and PPB (there are different tests to establish PPB). systematic and continuous contacts would be used to establish PJ.

perhaps the question wanted you to argue that although the corporation had employees and what not in FL, using some PPB test you establish that it is actually not domiciled in FL, even though it has sufficient contacts to establish PJ?

that is my guess
The Supreme Court in Hertz said that the Principle place of business is the Nerve Center. No more two tests for "muscle" and "Nerve". So its basically only the place where the top executives and administration and and stuff takes place

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:57 pm

$peppercorn wrote: The Supreme Court in Hertz said that the Principle place of business is the Nerve Center. No more two tests for "muscle" and "Nerve". So its basically only the place where the top executives and administration and and stuff takes place
hmm we never covered Hertz, didn't know that though

I guess that makes civpro .0001% less confusing :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”