1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Diamond

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:16 pm

crossarmant wrote:Dear Civil Procedure... please fucking die. Thank you.
Yeah. I'm studying it now too, I feel the same.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:30 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Like I get almost enjoyment out of doing practice exams for Contracts and Torts. They're interesting and it's fun to spot issues in the questions, they make logical sense in how people should interact with each other and award relief... Civil Procedure is just a fucking shitshow of awfully constructed red tape that forms this big jumble of near contradictions and monotony. I'm eternally baffled as to how anyone would even want to pursue teaching CivPro or researching it.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:31 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Like I get almost enjoyment out of doing practice exams for Contracts and Torts. They're interesting and it's fun to spot issues in the questions, they make logical sense in how people should interact with each other and award relief... Civil Procedure is just a fucking shitshow of awfully constructed red tape that forms this big jumble of near contradictions and monotony. I'm eternally baffled as to how anyone would even want to pursue teaching CivPro or researching it.
Oh sorry.. you lost me there.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:36 pm

ilovesf wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Oh sorry.. you lost me there.
Comparatively.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 pm

One down.

Feeling great about Property even if I did finish an hour early. I spent that entire hour looking for another issue and there really weren't anymore. So, unless I screwed up majorly I did really well!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Congrats! I will be thrilled if I get done with anything early and have time for so much as a read through.

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:42 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Apparently they are about to pass some law so our civ pro professor sent us an email with a ton of stuff to not worry about now. Pretty happy about that. Don't have to discuss venue at all now

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Just had my first exam -- civ pro. I doubt I nailed it, but I certainly got all the major issues, and spotted a few that were very difficult to see. I thought I wrote it very well -- clear, concise, and organized. Actually wrote it much better than any practice exam I had taken thus far. There were two things I didn't really go into b/c of time constraints, but it felt good to get the first one out of the way, and it felt good knowing that I at least didn't bomb it, or something. Now to teach myself contracts in 3 days. I forgot to actually learn it during the semester. Oops..

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:13 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:One down.

Feeling great about Property even if I did finish an hour early. I spent that entire hour looking for another issue and there really weren't anymore. So, unless I screwed up majorly I did really well!
sweet.

i finished early on my prop test yesterday, but only now did i realize i missed a very nuanced issue. no A for me. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Ugh, I can't figure this out and I feel like a dumbass:

If a defendant counterclaims and asserts a federal claim against a plaintiff, can the defendant then remove the case to federal court?

I would think no, because then defendants would just file federal question counterclaims to remove a case, but I want to confirm I'm right...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Ugh, I can't figure this out and I feel like a dumbass:

If a defendant counterclaims and asserts a federal claim against a plaintiff, can the defendant then remove the case to federal court?

I would think no, because then defendants would just file federal question counterclaims to remove a case, but I want to confirm I'm right...
Don't think so. Under 28 U.S.C. Section 1446(a), if the federal district courts would have original jurisdiction over the P's claim if they were filed in federal court.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:03 pm

ph14 wrote:

Don't think so. Under 28 U.S.C. Section 1446(a), if the federal district courts would have original jurisdiction over the P's claim if they were filed in federal court.
Oh, yeah. That's right, reading 1446(a) again makes it crystal clear. It's been a long civ pro day...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:05 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Oh, yeah. That's right, reading 1446(a) again makes it crystal clear. It's been a long civ pro day...
No worries. I'm glad you asked because I had to look it up so now I can add it into my outline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:10 pm

:( this just reminds me that I don't understand anything about civ pro.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:11 pm

ilovesf wrote::( this just reminds me that I don't understand anything about civ pro.
As long as you drop "same transaction and occurrence" at least 5-10 times you will at least get a B+

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:14 pm

I need to start looking at Civil Procedure. But I don't really want to after being all Property all the time today. Our test is Monday. The class is two credit hours this semester so there isn't much material that it could be. I'm thinking personal jurisdiction esp. stream of commerce/removal for the essay.

I just talked to a few of my classmates and they all got the same issues that I did minus one which I picked out and none of them did. Nobody got anything I hadn't so that's making me feel better too.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm

ilovesf wrote::( this just reminds me that I don't understand anything about civ pro.
studying civ pro. swear to god that time is slowing down, and there still doesn't seem to be enough time for me to memorize all these fucking rules.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 pm

ph14 wrote:

Now how does this work if such an assertion is a compulsory counterclaim? Fed courts have exclusive JDX over FQ issues, wouldn't that allow for removal?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Now how does this work if such an assertion is a compulsory counterclaim? Fed courts have exclusive JDX over FQ issues, wouldn't that allow for removal?
This is just what I was looking up in my E&E about Rule 13(I haven't found an answer yet)

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:32 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Fed courts have exclusive jurisdiction over certain special actions (patents, etc.). Federal and state courts have concurrent subject matter jurisdiction over a federal question case.

So I think (correct me if i'm wrong), what you are asking is how would this would if a plaintiff sued a defendant for a state law claim, and the defendant asserted a compulsory counterclaim with a cause of action under which federal courts have exclusive jurisdiction.

I have no idea how that would work out. My only thought really is that under the Grable 3 part test to see if a state law claim can have federal question jurisdiction, then you would probably have federal jurisdiction under that test if the counterclaim is compulsory.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:39 pm

My 2L friend sent me this link: http://federalpracticemanual.org/node/14

"For instance, “[t]he well-pleaded complaint rule applies to the original jurisdiction of the district courts as well as to their removal jurisdiction.”/152/ Thus, a defendant may not remove based on their federal defenses or a federal counterclaim./153/"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:42 pm

ilovesf wrote:My 2L friend sent me this link: http://federalpracticemanual.org/node/14

"For instance, “[t]he well-pleaded complaint rule applies to the original jurisdiction of the district courts as well as to their removal jurisdiction.”/152/ Thus, a defendant may not remove based on their federal defenses or a federal counterclaim./153/"
Good find!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:45 pm

ph14 wrote:
crossarmant wrote: Now how does this work if such an assertion is a compulsory counterclaim? Fed courts have exclusive JDX over FQ issues, wouldn't that allow for removal?
Fed courts have exclusive jurisdiction over certain special actions (patents, etc.). Federal and state courts have concurrent subject matter jurisdiction over a federal question case.

So I think (correct me if i'm wrong), what you are asking is how would this would if a plaintiff sued a defendant for a state law claim, and the defendant asserted a compulsory counterclaim with a cause of action under which federal courts have exclusive jurisdiction.

I have no idea how that would work out. My only thought really is that under the Grable 3 part test to see if a state law claim can have federal question jurisdiction, then you would probably have federal jurisdiction under that test if the counterclaim is compulsory.
PH, god of CivPro, yeah, Grabel case. I had forgotten about this one.

Edit: Wait, going over it now it doesn't seem quite right. The Fed issue in Grabel is in the cause of action, as well as a defense. What if a suit is based on a mere breach of contract, but say someone counterclaims with a federal question as a matter of law, can they remove to federal court? I didn't think that state court has concurrent JDX over FQ issues... maybe I'm wrong, CivPro is my shaky class.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:02 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ph14 wrote:
crossarmant wrote: Now how does this work if such an assertion is a compulsory counterclaim? Fed courts have exclusive JDX over FQ issues, wouldn't that allow for removal?

Edit: Wait, going over it now it doesn't seem quite right. The Fed issue in Grabel is in the cause of action, as well as a defense. What if a suit is based on a mere breach of contract, but say someone counterclaims with a federal question as a matter of law, can they remove to federal court? I didn't think that state court has concurrent JDX over FQ issues... maybe I'm wrong, CivPro is my shaky class.
Look at my link - you can't.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:04 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ph14 wrote:

WPC means that it has to be part of your COA as to why you filed. It can't be because of a defense you think the defense is going to bring in retaliation. In Grable, it was part of their anticipated defense, their actual COA was purely a state law one in which they were suing over a breach of contract. If someone counter-claims, there still wouldn't be original jurisdiction in this case because it's not the original complaint, so it couldn't be heard in federal court AFAIK.

I don't know why all of you hate civ pro so much. I just like to look at it as a chess match between the plaintiff and defendant, each one trying to one up the other using a different procedural rule it grabbed out of nowhere. I kinda enjoy it.
Last edited by dabomb75 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”