1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jess

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by jess » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Checking in.

And my mind is checking out.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:10 pm

New way of calming to fuck down about law school; watch "Into the Universe" with Stephen Hawking. After seeing that, you just kind a think "Hmmm... yep, that was a double dose of 'fuck it.'" Definitely makes you realize there's a lot more out there than merely doing well on 3 exams.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 pm

crossarmant wrote:New way of calming to fuck down about law school; watch "Into the Universe" with Stephen Hawking. After seeing that, you just kind a think "Hmmm... yep, that was a double dose of 'fuck it.'" Definitely makes you realize there's a lot more out there than merely doing well on34 exams.
FTFM. although my calming mechanism is drawing up study schedules.

I think you're winning ;-)

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Anyone have any advice for studying for policy questions? I know that they are going to feature fairly prominently on all my exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Gah! This weekend was entirely crap in terms of exam prep for me. I had three glorious days of wasting time, doing things around the house, getting my resume ready for career services, reading for tomorrow only, and finishing my memo. Fortunately, the blasted thing is due the 17th. After that, I'll never have to look at it again and can use my LRW time fully for finals. Over the course of the weekend I have edited the stupid thing five times. I met with my TA today and did edit six. Tomorrow, I meet with my prof. Hopefully she has some suggestions and I'll only have to go over it two more times maximum. I really hate this class. lol. I hope everyone else was more productive in substantive classes than I was this weekend. Oh well...I suppose LRW had to be finished at some point. I just wish it wasn't to the detriment of the other classes. This week will be productive like last week and moves will be made next weekend for sure.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:43 pm

crossarmant wrote:New way of calming to fuck down about law school; watch "Into the Universe" with Stephen Hawking. After seeing that, you just kind a think "Hmmm... yep, that was a double dose of 'fuck it.'" Definitely makes you realize there's a lot more out there than merely doing well on 3 exams.
yes. i agree.

really, what's the worst that can happen? never mind, don't answer that. :?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Lasers wrote:
crossarmant wrote:New way of calming to fuck down about law school; watch "Into the Universe" with Stephen Hawking. After seeing that, you just kind a think "Hmmm... yep, that was a double dose of 'fuck it.'" Definitely makes you realize there's a lot more out there than merely doing well on 3 exams.
yes. i agree.

really, what's the worst that can happen? never mind, don't answer that. :?
I mean, so what if you get a B+ instead of an A. We're all going to be consumed by the sun and all of our component parts will be cast out in a supernova to be formed into new stars. So, yeah, doesn't really matter if you make Dean's List.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:45 pm

ph14 wrote:Anyone have any advice for studying for policy questions? I know that they are going to feature fairly prominently on all my exams.
Getting to Maybe's Czar of the Universe section seems pretty legit. I've read it a couple of times and it lays everything out pretty well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:46 pm

theavrock wrote:
ph14 wrote:Anyone have any advice for studying for policy questions? I know that they are going to feature fairly prominently on all my exams.
Getting to Maybe's Czar of the Universe section seems pretty legit. I've read it a couple of times and it lays everything out pretty well.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm confused, why are you all freaking out? Nothing's really at stake aside from your entire financial future.

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:56 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I'm confused, why are you all freaking out? Nothing's really at stake aside from your entire financial future.
I'm concerned because of all the intellectual enlightenment I might be missing out on.. *continues to sip wine and read the Restatement*

(Note: sarcasm warning; however, I am actually drinking wine and reading the restatement of torts right now. That's how classy I am..)

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm

istara wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:I'm confused, why are you all freaking out? Nothing's really at stake aside from your entire financial future.
I'm concerned because of all the intellectual enlightenment I might be missing out on.. *continues to sip wine and read the Restatement*

(Note: sarcasm warning; however, I am actually drinking wine and reading the restatement of torts right now. That's how classy I am..)
?????

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 pm

I don't really understand what people are doing in the library, or how they find the time to do it. Thank god I do my casebook reading over the weekend, because I do fuck all on week nights. I always intend to outline/read hornbooks but it somehow never happens.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 pm

piccolittle wrote:I don't really understand what people are doing in the library, or how they find the time to do it. Thank god I do my casebook reading over the weekend, because I do fuck all on week nights. I always intend to outline/read hornbooks but it somehow never happens.
When I'm in the library I'm running through hornbooks, Q&As, and E&Es. Though, I've noticed a majority of the people in the library at night are facebooking, reading their case books, and general fuck-all wasting time. I feel like half of them sit there just to sit there.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 pm

its not about the total amount of hours you spend in the library. its about the effectiveness of your time in the libary.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Spent the majority of my weekend outlining. Am going to spend the majority of this week on outlines, memo, and hornbooks.

And yeah, I've noticed the whole wasting time thing too. After awhile though, when I desperately need a break I go find a friend and talk to them for five - ten minutes. But most of the time I avoid people and just go off by myself to study.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 pm

I deliberately don't study near anyone because I don't want to get caught up in the bullshit of analyzing what everyone else is doing. "Imma do me"

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:25 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I deliberately don't study near anyone because I don't want to get caught up in the bullshit of analyzing what everyone else is doing. "Imma do me"
I'm the same way. When I'm in a crowded part of the library I look around and think "Hmm... what is my competition doing?" I've started going to hidden recesses of the undergrad library for this reason every so often, or going up to the top floor hidden bowels of the law library.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 am

First practice exam today.

I got a lotta hustling to do.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Jessuf wrote:I swear my school is the exact opposite of everyone else's. People are not going to office hours, people are not submitting practice assignments to the professor for review, only half of the people are showing up to reviews, a bunch of people are absent for classes everyday, people laugh at me when I tell them I'm preparing applications for my 1L summer already, people haven't started their final memos yet, barely anyone reads for class and then has to tell the professor when they're cold called, "uhhh, I didn't realize we had to read that section for today," and the library is absolutely dead on weekends.

Granted, this is not EVERYONE, but this does apply to a large number of people. I don't know if everyone is going to sneak up on me and beat me in the "race" or what, but it kind of weirds me out how apathetic some people are at my school.
Your school is either so bad that no one is going to get jobs so no one is trying, or so good that everyone is going to get jobs so no one is trying. And typically, kids at the latter schools don't operate like that, anyway.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Is most everyone on here is up to speed (as least somewhat) with their outlines? Has everyone already started to take practice tests? Reading TLS makes feel REALLY behind.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:12 pm

I read ahead so I could concentrate on outlining this week. My outlines are all up to date in that they are condensed from my class notes, but this weekend I'll be putting them in a usable format and cutting the fat out.

I'm starting PT's next week and I plan on doing 1 PT per class over the next 4 weeks.

Don't feel like you're behind and don't think about what everyone else is doing. If you feel like you are up to speed then you are up to speed. No one knows how you learn. If you feel like you're behind then get your ass in gear.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:Is most everyone on here is up to speed (as least somewhat) with their outlines? Has everyone already started to take practice tests? Reading TLS makes feel REALLY behind.
I have functional outlines for two classes, need to do Civ Pro which will suck terribly. I've been doing multiple choice questions and start full written practice exams this weekend (After my Friday Skyrim binge). I felt like I was really behind a lot of people in my classes but then I spoke to a few and they're lost and a lot of people have missed a number of classes so I feel a bit better. But then again, I'm in a Tier 2 school it's a little bit of a different story than a lot of you guys.

Regardless, still a lot of stress going on in my head. We had a special academic success thingy today where 3 professors (Just happened to be my 3 substantive profs) got up and talked to whoever attended (Which wound up being like 40 out of the 200+ people in the 1L class) about what to expect on exams, how to prep, and attack methods. It made me feel much better prepared for two of my classes and made me feel like I'm going to die when it comes to CivPro.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”