1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Joining the anti-Contracts club. It will be my last final and is accompanied by a mix of joy, dread, relief, apathy, and, above all, a creeping sense of numbness.

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:18 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:To hell with this subject, I'm going ino personal injury law. Torts was cake compared to this.
I'm thinking of opening a small practice with this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwWAsNZTnug

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 pm

cant decide if i should teach myself the statute of frauds, illegality, impracticability, frustration of purpose, and third party beneficiaries OR watch monday night football and try and fit every answer in under what i already (barely) know

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm nervous about Torts tomorrow. It's easier than the other substantive courses, which is why the exam is going to be harder. I think I'd prefer a difficult exam where everyone struggles compared to a straight-forward exam.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 pm

oh heres a basic question that someone with an exam tm should know.. are impracticability and frustration of purpose implied into every K or do they have to be written in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:oh heres a basic question that someone with an exam tm should know.. are impracticability and frustration of purpose implied into every K or do they have to be written in?
I think it's implied unless there's an allocation of this risk otherwise.

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 am

BlueDiamond wrote:oh heres a basic question that someone with an exam tm should know.. are impracticability and frustration of purpose implied into every K or do they have to be written in?
Don't trust me bro, but I think it's implied.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:30 am

to answer your question they are implied. However, they are difficult to prove, and courts are hesitant to grant them. To prove impracticability you need to prove all 3 of these elements
1. A contingentcy- something must have occurred that was unexpected
2. Risk of the unexpected occurrance must not have been allocate by either party either by agreement or by industry custom
3. Commercialy impractiable- performance because of this unexpected occurrance is legally impracticable ( or an impossibility)

frustration of purpose: the contract can be set aside. Rule: performance of the K is possible, but the expected value of the performance by one or most often both parties seeking to be excused is destroyed by a tortious event. this tortious event was superseeding and out of control of borht parties. ( courts look at extrinsic evidence and circumstantial circumstances surrounding the formation of the contract)

Parties can sometimes plan for this by invoking a force majur clause. if they write one in, then if the event falls within the force majur parameters in the K, it can be set aside for an agreed upon length of time,and if suspension is the best choice remedy for a period longer than the agreed upon length of time ( think epic disaster occurred) then the K can be suspended longer, or both parties cna set it aside

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am

Last exam time. Just a few hours until I'm free!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Anyone else out there still have exams??

Last one is on Friday.

Cannot. Fucking. Wait

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:04 pm

tomorrow is my last final. in exactly 24 hours from this moment onto blackoutdrunkville i will be

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:06 pm

northwood wrote:tomorrow is my last final. in exactly 24 hours from this moment onto blackoutdrunkville i will be
Slowly recovering from blackoutdrunkville myself

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:29 pm

I had a nightmare last night that I got my long memo back and got a C-. I woke up in a panic. Words cannot describe how elated I was when I figured out it was just a dream.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 pm

NYC Law wrote:I had a nightmare last night that I got my long memo back and got a C-. I woke up in a panic. Words cannot describe how elated I was when I figured out it was just a dream.
Can we spend like... a week without beginning to think about grades?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Gemini wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I had a nightmare last night that I got my long memo back and got a C-. I woke up in a panic. Words cannot describe how elated I was when I figured out it was just a dream.
But...But... This is the exam thread, I thought this was a safe place. Not like I was consciously thinking about them.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:31 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Gemini wrote:
But...But... This is the exam thread, I thought this was a safe place. Not like I was consciously thinking about them.
That's actually part of the problem.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Is it too early to start this thread back up again? I remember I greatly enjoyed it last semester and we're about at that point in the semester where there's a bit less than a month less. I feel like I haven't really done anything. It still feels early but I know that its not. I guess this month plus is going to be a grind. I feel like I'm not the only one. Last semester everyone was talking cases in the hallway, bragging about supplements, and attending tutoring. This semester? Not so much. I suppose its go time. I've been lax with my supplements, have kept up in reading, and have spent a good amount of time connecting the cases. Gah...I can't believe its crack down time again already. Plus con law. Going to be a bitch mother for sure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Noooooooooooooooooo :(

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Oh yeah, taking a midterm as I write this. 30% of my grade. Not good.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:11 pm

ilovesf wrote:Oh yeah, taking a midterm as I write this. 30% of my grade. Not good.

I'm sure you'll do wonderfully! :D I begin exam ramp up time. 39 days and 10 hours until finals begin. I have been a big slacker this semester. Tomorrow marks the beginning of my least favorite thing.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Can't be this time again. But I think we only have a month left of classes, wow. Probably will wait a couple of weeks before I actually start to get back into exam preparation mode. Need to finish this brief first though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Villanova3

New

Post by Villanova3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Kill me now.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Curse you for making me check when my first final is :). May 1st. When I realized that is only 45 days away, I almost wanted to go vomit. Can't believe we only have 5 1/2 weeks left of classes.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:14 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Curse you for making me check when my first final is :). May 1st. When I realized that is only 45 days away, I almost wanted to go vomit.
Ugh. But looking on the bright side, only 1 and 1/2 more months of 1L...

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Curse you for making me check when my first final is :). May 1st. When I realized that is only 45 days away, I almost wanted to go vomit.
You're welcome. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”