1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jarv1506

New

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by jarv1506 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:17 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:Anyone have a good format for tackling a products liability question? My professor has absolutely sucked at tying a bow around Torts II this semester. I'm not sure if I should start with the four theories of recovery and then hone in on 402A or just go straight from defect type into 402A and then mention alternative theories of recovery.
I don't know what your prof is like. But I went with the negligence, warranty, strict liability (402) and finished up with the 3 defects. The way our question was structured you could possibly recover under all 4 but it felt natural to move from general negligence, to the UCC, then 402, and the the 3 defects. Its the order he taught it in. I just used 4 point headings and made each analysis separately. I packaged all the defenses into a fifth sub-heading after that. I of course have no idea how I did, but it worked well for organizing my answer. Hope that helps.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:27 pm

beachbum wrote:
Flips88 wrote:the writing competition is the worst thing I've experience so far in 1L.
Plus fucking one. Words cannot describe how much I don't want to do this, and how difficult it is to focus.
Came to this thread looking for motivation for the write-on. At least I can commiserate with people. Does anyone have any advice? Did you guys do any prep? I haven't done any prep for it, what would be the most productive use of my one free day?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Ugh - we just got our write on law review packets. 550 pages. I can't even bring myself to finish my last take-home final. Luckily we have 3 weeks to do it.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 09, 2012 5:31 pm

shock259 wrote:Ugh - we just got our write on law review packets. 550 pages. I can't even bring myself to finish my last take-home final. Luckily we have 3 weeks to do it.
:shock: We're getting ours by e-mail. I'd hate to have to print all that shit out. I really hope ours isn't that long.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 09, 2012 5:32 pm

ph14 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Flips88 wrote:the writing competition is the worst thing I've experience so far in 1L.
Plus fucking one. Words cannot describe how much I don't want to do this, and how difficult it is to focus.
Came to this thread looking for motivation for the write-on. At least I can commiserate with people. Does anyone have any advice? Did you guys do any prep? I haven't done any prep for it, what would be the most productive use of my one free day?
How do you prep for something like this? I was just going to enjoy myself as much as possible so I can be fresh when I start writing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed May 09, 2012 5:36 pm

ilovesf, there was a book I was recommended that I'm going to try to read through to prepare for write-ons...I can't fathom working up the motivation to care right now. Completely mentally checked out since finals ended, nothing but drinking and basketball.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed May 09, 2012 5:37 pm

ilovesf wrote:
shock259 wrote:Ugh - we just got our write on law review packets. 550 pages. I can't even bring myself to finish my last take-home final. Luckily we have 3 weeks to do it.
:shock: We're getting ours by e-mail. I'd hate to have to print all that shit out. I really hope ours isn't that long.
thankfully i've heard ours is much more manageable.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 09, 2012 5:41 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:ilovesf, there was a book I was recommended that I'm going to try to read through to prepare for write-ons...I can't fathom working up the motivation to care right now. Completely mentally checked out since finals ended, nothing but drinking and basketball.
what book? I guess I wouldn't have time to read it anyways since ours starts on the 11th.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed May 09, 2012 5:49 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
How do you prep for something like this? I was just going to enjoy myself as much as possible so I can be fresh when I start writing.
That's probably a good idea. Otherwise, I guess review your old writing assignments and maybe flip through the BB? I dunno, I didn't do any prep.

It sounds like everyone's assignment is a little different, though. FWIW, we about 12 days for a 14 page, open universe assignment. So far I've done the research and written a little over 2 pages, with about one week to go. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 09, 2012 6:04 pm

I don't know if this is the common way of doing things, but our write-on system is bullshit. Unless you have a 4.0, pretty much everybody who wants to be on LR has to compete in the write-on because the competition is over before we get our class ranks. Obviously, if you're in the cutoff percentage, how you did on write-on is irrelevant. But I think it's bullshit that people who killed it but are unsure of their rank still have to compete in this god awful process just to make sure.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Our write on is sometimes in July. However, if Im lucky I can grade on. I can only hope. :D

On another note, I decided to take Con law 2 over the summer because 1) I'm RA'ing for a professor so Ill be at school and 2) its from 7:30 pm-9:30 pm T W and Th, and 3) the professor has a reputation of a beneficial curve.

So, Ill be back at it on May 18th.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I don't know if this is the common way of doing things, but our write-on system is bullshit. Unless you have a 4.0, pretty much everybody who wants to be on LR has to compete in the write-on because the competition is over before we get our class ranks. Obviously, if you're in the cutoff percentage, how you did on write-on is irrelevant. But I think it's bullshit that people who killed it but are unsure of their rank still have to compete in this god awful process just to make sure.
No grade on at all here at Northwestern, even those who "killed it" still have to do the competition (and get a decent writing score since that is 50% of some random number that they rank by). Also, ~1/4 the slots are pure write on score.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 pm

bdubs wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:I don't know if this is the common way of doing things, but our write-on system is bullshit. Unless you have a 4.0, pretty much everybody who wants to be on LR has to compete in the write-on because the competition is over before we get our class ranks. Obviously, if you're in the cutoff percentage, how you did on write-on is irrelevant. But I think it's bullshit that people who killed it but are unsure of their rank still have to compete in this god awful process just to make sure.
No grade on at all here at Northwestern, even those who "killed it" still have to do the competition (and get a decent writing score since that is 50% of some random number that they rank by). Also, ~1/4 the slots are pure write on score.
I wish ours was pure grade-on for LR since all the secondaries are generally fungible for getting a jerb purposes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed May 09, 2012 10:17 pm

bk187 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
I wish ours was pure grade-on for LR since all the secondaries are generally fungible for getting a jerb purposes.
+1 - This is terrible. The next 15 hours are going to suck because I feel obligated to keep polishing this turd until its due.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed May 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Crim is completely statutory exam. Idgaf. Ready for summer. 48 hrs left.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Guchster wrote:Crim is completely statutory exam. Idgaf. Ready for summer. 48 hrs left.
you can do it!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Ours is a write-on competition with a slight advantage for those in the top 10%. Naturally, all of the top 10%ers wish it was grade on and everyone else is happy it isn't. Not sure what's best.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Wed May 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Yeah ours is the top 4 in each section (of about 45 this year) need only put forward a "good faith effort", which is defined as being in the top 3/4 of all entries received. For everyone else, it's pure write-on. Of course, you don't get your grades back for 2nd semester until the write-on competition is almost over, so unless you got a 4.0 first semester (and even then, it'd be risky) you pretty much don't know if you can take it a little easy. Sigh. YAY WRITE-ON COMPETITION WILL BE FUN ^_^ :evil:

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu May 10, 2012 12:06 am

I wouldn't do 1L again for a million dollars.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 10, 2012 12:08 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:I wouldn't do 1L again for a million dollars.
And to think that you paid for the privilege . . .

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu May 10, 2012 12:14 am

if you could do 1L over again, starting the first monday after your last final, would you? (assuming you didn't do well)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 10, 2012 12:17 am

bartleby wrote:if you could do 1L over again, starting the first monday after your last final, would you? (assuming you didn't do well)
I could do con law all over again with the same professor, the same readings and the same lectures and I still wouldn't comprehend that shit, so no.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu May 10, 2012 12:18 am

bartleby wrote:if you could do 1L over again, starting the first monday after your last final, would you? (assuming you didn't do well)

No one in their right mind would answer yes to this. You're making about as much sense as your user namesake

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:20 am

I don't understand this question.

But no, I wouldn't do 1L again. I'd rather have a life kthx

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 am

lol i have gone crazy forreal

but purely hypothetical, if you could time travel back to the weekend before 1st week of law school, would you do it
Last edited by bartleby on Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”