1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 am

I just did last year's final torts essay and got all but .25 points! Why can't all classes be torts?

31 and no gray hairs (yet!) ftw.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:11 am

28 and plenty of grey, but its going to be that sort of salt and pepper grey and no baldness.

My gf is excited for me to look like George Clooney. It's weird.

Makes up for the fact that I have awful eyes and a bad back/knees

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:16 am

I'm having a hard time studying for crim. They both seem pretty easy so I'm just sort of blowing them off, not that much actual law we have to know, so it'll just come down to spotting weird issues (and 'being persuasive' for our torts class). I just keep studying for property...

I can't wait for this to be over, so much uncertainty. Sometimes I feel like I'm bound to end up in the bottom third, sometimes I think I should be top quarter secure.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 am

NYC Law wrote:I can't wait for this to be over, so much uncertainty. Sometimes I feel like I'm bound to end up in the bottom third, sometimes I think I should be top quarter secure.
Agreed. I'll fluctuate somedays and think "Fuck, man, this is easy... I have this in the bag." And then 30 minutes later I think "I'm going to FAIL EVERYTHING! I should just dropout now and become a gold miner in Nevada, I hear they make $75k."

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 am

crossarmant wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I can't wait for this to be over, so much uncertainty. Sometimes I feel like I'm bound to end up in the bottom third, sometimes I think I should be top quarter secure.
Agreed. I'll fluctuate somedays and think "Fuck, man, this is easy... I have this in the bag." And then 30 minutes later I think "I'm going to FAIL EVERYTHING! I should just dropout now and become a gold miner in Nevada, I hear they make $75k."

I think this is relatively normal? I know I'll feel really good after I PT but then look at my outline and go "OH SHIT! If this was on the real test, I would definitely be looking at number 97/100 in my section." I think this is the majesty that is 1L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 am

It is actually impossible for me to find exams with model answers. My professor hasn't taught in a while so she gave us 7 short questions to look at with no guidance as to how much time they should take or any model answers. I can't find anything else to practice with, and all the links I've found are restricted access. Grrrrrrrr.... I can do practice questions, but I have no idea if I got anything right :/

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 am

piccolittle wrote:It is actually impossible for me to find exams with model answers. My professor hasn't taught in a while so she gave us 7 short questions to look at with no guidance as to how much time they should take or any model answers. I can't find anything else to practice with, and all the links I've found are restricted access. Grrrrrrrr.... I can do practice questions, but I have no idea if I got anything right :/
That sucks. Both my Property and Torts professors post old exams and rubrics on twen. Contracts posts her old exams and you can take your essays to her to review. It's been really helpful for me.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:40 am

theavrock wrote:28 and plenty of grey, but its going to be that sort of salt and pepper grey and no baldness.

LOL. I think he has more going for him than grey hair.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:40 am

piccolittle wrote:It is actually impossible for me to find exams with model answers. My professor hasn't taught in a while so she gave us 7 short questions to look at with no guidance as to how much time they should take or any model answers. I can't find anything else to practice with, and all the links I've found are restricted access. Grrrrrrrr.... I can do practice questions, but I have no idea if I got anything right :/
Check the pepperdine database out. It's excellent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 am

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
theavrock wrote:28 and plenty of grey, but its going to be that sort of salt and pepper grey and no baldness.

LOL. I think he has more going for him than grey hair.

shhhhhh a man can interpret his lady's words as he pleases

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:52 am

I got my hair from my mom's side of the family. Her dad, who is about 90, and on his way out, still has a full head of naturally black hair.

I'd give those genes away for a .2 gpa bump this semester (judging from the grades I've gotten so far, I'm straddling the min gpa I need just to keep my scholly).

edit; also, I've been sick for a few days and it's now starting to get into gear. I have a feeling that I'm going to wake up feeling like shit and be unable to concentrate on anything. I was already fucked as it was, I don't see why it was necessary to give me a cold on top of all this shit.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:I got my hair from my mom's side of the family. Her dad, who is about 90, and on his way out, still has a full head of naturally black hair.

I'd give those genes away for a .2 gpa bump this semester (judging from the grades I've gotten so far, I'm straddling the min gpa I need just to keep my scholly).

edit; also, I've been sick for a few days and it's now starting to get into gear. I have a feeling that I'm going to wake up feeling like shit and be unable to concentrate on anything. I was already fucked as it was, I don't see why it was necessary to give me a cold on top of all this shit.
good hair and longevity? how you doin? also, if you guys are getting sick, take lots of vitamin c, zinc, drink tea with honey, and I swear by this Oscillo thing - http://www.oscillo.com/

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 am

0LNewbie wrote:
Thank you!!! Hopefully I will be less grumpy in general tomorrow evening after getting a little more practice in lol. It's been pretty frustrating so far... good luck to all, congrats to those who've already done an exam, and good night :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:27 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:I got my hair from my mom's side of the family. Her dad, who is about 90, and on his way out, still has a full head of naturally black hair.

Lucky. Both my parents started to dye their hair in their 40s. No greys yet, but Im sure they are near.

I haven't been sick in close to 3 years though *knock on wood. Win some and you lose some.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:00 am

piccolittle wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
Thank you!!! Hopefully I will be less grumpy in general tomorrow evening after getting a little more practice in lol. It's been pretty frustrating so far... good luck to all, congrats to those who've already done an exam, and good night :)
Widner also has an excellent online exam bank.

ocplaytime

New

Post by ocplaytime » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:18 am

K final was BRUTAL today and I went in pretty confident... we cover unconscionability for 2 weeks and the first day we do 1 (yes 1) case on just PRICE unconscionability with 11 factors and the prof says to know it then doesn't bring it up..not on practice finals or in review either. first question............BAM 2 part question, 1st part an arbitration clause that business owner doesn't want to follow and 2nd part ------> price unconscionability.

good portion of the class discussed business compulsion as an answer for the 1st part and then just applied standard uncon for 2nd. I did uncon for the first and price uncon for the second except only had like 7/11 of the factors down because I barely prepared for it. kinda worried I didn't argue business compulsion/economic duress but the hypo just seemed more slanted towards uncon. hoping I didn't fuck it up..I mean for business compul there HAS to be coercive circumstances right?......right? worst feeling ever to worry about it now

ocplaytime

New

Post by ocplaytime » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 am

p.s uncon includes oppression (lack of meaningful choice) and one of the factors of business compulsion is injured party forced to agree to other's terms so when is it best to separate the two? if there was no coercive circumstances => oppression?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:26 am

ocplaytime wrote:K final was BRUTAL today and I went in pretty confident... we cover unconscionability for 2 weeks and the first day we do 1 (yes 1) case on just PRICE unconscionability with 11 factors and the prof says to know it then doesn't bring it up..not on practice finals or in review either. first question............BAM 2 part question, 1st part an arbitration clause that business owner doesn't want to follow and 2nd part ------> price unconscionability.

good portion of the class discussed business compulsion as an answer for the 1st part and then just applied standard uncon for 2nd. I did uncon for the first and price uncon for the second except only had like 7/11 of the factors down because I barely prepared for it. kinda worried I didn't argue business compulsion/economic duress but the hypo just seemed more slanted towards uncon. hoping I didn't fuck it up..I mean for business compul there HAS to be coercive circumstances right?......right? worst feeling ever to worry about it now
Was it a 2-207 question, was there more than 1 form? My professor always has a 2-207 problem when arbitration is involved because you can mention the surprise factor under Klotcek. Arbitration = materially alter K when buyer is offeror...

DISCLAIMER: We didn't talk about business compulsion in class. What I say below is just off my general definition of compulsion.

I would think compulsion would include duress, undue influence, misrepresentation or unconscionability. Of course, I would think undue influence would be the big one.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:27 am

I'm so glad our K class doesn't have 2-207 on the final. That shit's a bitch.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:30 am

johansantana21 wrote:I'm so glad our K class doesn't have 2-207 on the final. That shit's a bitch.
I like 2-207!

I think the parol evidence rule is the bitch. I dont understand the exceptions, especially the subsequent agreement. If anyone wants to summarize what, when, how and why a subsequent agreement comes in or not under the PER I would be greatful.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:I'm so glad our K class doesn't have 2-207 on the final. That shit's a bitch.
I like 2-207!

I think the parol evidence rule is the bitch. I dont understand the exceptions, especially the subsequent agreement. If anyone wants to summarize what, when, how and why a subsequent agreement comes in or not under the PER I would be greatful.
We didn't do parol evidence either.

Maybe this is why everyone is finding first sem contracts so easy here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ocplaytime

New

Post by ocplaytime » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:33 am

we went over UCC but it had nothing to do with UCC. it was a hypo about a marketing firm that hired a solo attorney and after 2 years while involved in a case for the client the attorney joined big shot firm and made the client sign a new agreement or else he couldn't represent him anymore. marketing ceo and attorney were friends forever and ceo said he couldnt imagine working with anyone else. basically some people thought that was business compul but the ceo was never forced to sign it..he would have just lost what he had invested in the suit.

weird thing about my class is that we covered undue influence/duress/fraud/business compul as independent defenses to K formation
Last edited by ocplaytime on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:37 am

ocplaytime wrote:we went over UCC but it had nothing to do with UCC. it was a hypo about a marketing firm that hired a solo attorney and after 2 years while involved in a case for the client the attorney joined big shot firm and made the client sign a new agreement or else he couldn't represent him anymore. marketing ceo and attorney were friends forever and ceo said he couldnt imagine working with anyone else. basically some people thought that was business compul but the ceo was never forced to sign it..he would have just lost what he had invested in the suit.

weird thing about my class is that we covered undue influence/duress/fraud/business compul has independent defenses to K formation
Sounds like the CEO didn't have any other option but to sign it. I think it might be a bit coercive. At least worth mentioning it if you don't agree and explain why. Thats really all that counts that you aknowledge and explain, not what your conclusion says.

Even if you didn't mention it, if your other analysis is good then you won't do bad. I think alot of 1Ls put too much emphasis on the right answer when its your well-though out reasoning that counts the most. After all thats what attorneys do.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:43 am

Also it sounds like you hit touched up on something the rest of the class didn't, price unconscionability. Im sure your professor will remember that more than you taking a different analysis on the first issue (which isn't wrong btw, maybe not the best answer but not wrong). I bolded the maybe because perhaps it is, I dont know because we didnt cover it in my class.

It sounds like you did well. Time to focus on the next one!

SwampRat88

Bronze

Post by SwampRat88 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 am

Civ Pro Hypo: A wants to sue B. The dispute is between two farmers: A from WI, B from Illinois. They live just across the border from one another. B breeds a certain type of animal which can be trained and contained (but he fails to do so), and every once in a while the animals cross the state line and fuck with A's crops. Assume SMJ is not an issue, and A wants to know if she can establish PJX and venue in either her federal district in WI, or B's in MN. Assume A owns the farm in WI, and B resides at his farm in Illinois.

Would A want to bring quasi-in-rem type I action to sue B in her state federal district?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”