What do you hate most about law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What do you hate most about LS?

The curve
91
37%
The gunners
33
13%
The assigned work
14
6%
The unassigned work
17
7%
The professors
4
2%
The economy
90
36%
 
Total votes: 249

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:26 pm

ilovesf wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:the general lonely feeling that accompanies reading alone quietly for 4-5 hours/day

i often get a study room with my friends in the library and we hang out there and do our reading.. that helps quite a bit :)


I can only do that with certain people. With most people I can't, so I generally study alone as otherwise it would be a huge time sink. it does get lonely, but if I need a break, I go and talk to someone downstairs.

bye_low_sell_hi
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby bye_low_sell_hi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Students falling all over themselves to write on to LR/journals, compete in moot court, obtain leadership positions in student groups...and then complaining about it incessantly until graduation.

Stop feeding the law school busy work beast people!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 pm

crossarmant wrote:You know, I can't particularly fault gunners for their misunderstanding or desire for elaboration, but fucking christ, I am tired of hearing their voices!

"Anyone in class care to answer?"

*the same 5 fucking people's hands go up*

Sometimes their annoying voices just grate on my nerves. Doesn't help we're all in the same classes for the entire semester, so they aren't merely annoying in one class, they're mind-obliteratingly annoying in every single class every single day. And they're wrong half the time too!


But if the professor really mind the gunners, he would just stick to cold calls, instead of soliciting for answers from anyone. I have professors who will only call on people they choose. They obviously don't like gunners.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:26 pm

bye_low_sell_hi wrote:Students falling all over themselves to write on to LR/journals, compete in moot court, obtain leadership positions in student groups...and then complaining about it incessantly until graduation.

Stop feeding the law school busy work beast people!


Well maybe they feel those things are necessary (for employment prospects) even though they don't want to. Sort of understandable because we are usually told by 2L/3Ls that everyone is on a journal of some sort so it really looks bad when you are not on one. But many people would rather not do that kind of work.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:31 pm

bye_low_sell_hi wrote:Students falling all over themselves to write on to LR/journals, compete in moot court, obtain leadership positions in student groups...and then complaining about it incessantly until graduation.

Stop feeding the law school busy work beast people!

This is stupid. Something can suck a whole heck of a lot, but still be worth it.

LR absolutely helped in my job hunt, and it is a nice honor to have on my resume, but it is also a thoroughly boring, time-consuming, and most of all, pointless endeavor.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 pm

I hate the extracurricular arms race too, and i am the worst offender

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Trying to fall asleep every night while thinking how much more I could/should have done that day.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Trying to fall asleep every night while thinking about how I slept in through my morning classes, played X-Box for 4 hours, spent money going out to dinner for like the 5th night in a row, and didn't do my reading for any of my classes the next day... and how I need to start actually doing stuff if I am going to pass any classes this semesterhow much more I could/should have done that day.

FTFM. 2LOLOLOLOL

bye_low_sell_hi
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby bye_low_sell_hi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:26 pm

r6_philly wrote: Sort of understandable because we are usually told by 2L/3Ls that everyone is on a journal of some sort so it really looks bad when you are not on one


Exactly. But instead of rebelling against the system students perpetuate it. Boycott LR/journals? Nah, it's better to just complain about it.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby Kabuo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:30 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Trying to fall asleep every night while thinking how much more I could/should have done that day.


Outed as a gunner.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:31 pm

bye_low_sell_hi wrote:
r6_philly wrote: Sort of understandable because we are usually told by 2L/3Ls that everyone is on a journal of some sort so it really looks bad when you are not on one


Exactly. But instead of rebelling against the system students perpetuate it. Boycott LR/journals? Nah, it's better to just complain about it.

what is this, 2004?

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Trying to fall asleep every night while thinking about how I slept in through my morning classes, played X-Box for 4 hours, spent money going out to dinner for like the 5th night in a row, and didn't do my reading for any of my classes the next day... and how I need to start actually doing stuff if I am going to pass any classes this semesterhow much more I could/should have done that day.

FTFM. 2LOLOLOLOL


Don't worry -- if/when I'm ever JobSecure, this will be my day, too. Eyes on the prize. The prize being possibly unenjoyable work and the avoidance of crushing debt.

User avatar
Punisha20
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby Punisha20 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:42 am

Kabuo wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Trying to fall asleep every night while thinking how much more I could/should have done that day.


Outed as a gunner.


+1

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:51 am

I hate graded legal writing.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Punisha20 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Trying to fall asleep every night while thinking how much more I could/should have done that day.


Outed as a gunner.


+1


Yes, guilty. I'm doing everything I can to get good grades because I'm terrified of being unemployed. And I'm doing my best not to annoy my classmates while I'm at it.

At least I don't go around making facebook profiles satirizing gunners while secretly gunning :wink:

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:18 pm

The students kinda suck.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:41 pm

MC Southstar wrote:The students kinda suck.


Speak for yourself :P

UML
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby UML » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:56 pm

MC Southstar wrote:The students kinda suck.


Yup.

I hate the never-let-them-see-you-sweat mentality. It's petty. As a paralegal I saw this in the more annoying lawyers at the firm. Now that I'm a law school I know where the seed gets sown. Everyone, even the smartest, is struggling to hold on, but everyone acts like it's easy. Everyone's becoming a caricature of a movie lawyer. What's ironic is that clients find this personality quirk extremely off-putting.

Admit your mistakes. Admit you don't know everything. Admit it's hard. Admit you want to place high in the class.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:09 am

UML wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:The students kinda suck.


Yup.

I hate the never-let-them-see-you-sweat mentality. It's petty. As a paralegal I saw this in the more annoying lawyers at the firm. Now that I'm a law school I know where the seed gets sown. Everyone, even the smartest, is struggling to hold on, but everyone acts like it's easy. Everyone's becoming a caricature of a movie lawyer. What's ironic is that clients find this personality quirk extremely off-putting.

Admit your mistakes. Admit you don't know everything. Admit it's hard. Admit you want to place high in the class.


That's simply not true. There are people who are handling their business just fine. Law school difficulty is self-discipline, but a lot of people (more than you expect) have it.

UML
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby UML » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:15 am

r6_philly wrote:
UML wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:The students kinda suck.


Yup.

I hate the never-let-them-see-you-sweat mentality. It's petty. As a paralegal I saw this in the more annoying lawyers at the firm. Now that I'm a law school I know where the seed gets sown. Everyone, even the smartest, is struggling to hold on, but everyone acts like it's easy. Everyone's becoming a caricature of a movie lawyer. What's ironic is that clients find this personality quirk extremely off-putting.

Admit your mistakes. Admit you don't know everything. Admit it's hard. Admit you want to place high in the class.


That's simply not true. There are people who are handling their business just fine. Law school difficulty is self-discipline, but a lot of people (more than you expect) have it.


I don't care who you are, on certain days you are crunched for time, or you aren't as prepared for class as you'd like to be, or you didn't get 8 hours of sleep, or whatever. Nobody's a robot. I put it too strongly when I wrote, "struggling to hold on." In fact, that wasn't what I was trying to convey at all...I don't know why I wrote it. (admitting my mistake...people should do that). My gripe is really just the never-let-them-see-you-sweat mentality. It's perverse.
Last edited by UML on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 am

UML wrote:I don't care who you are, on certain days you are crunched for time, or you aren't as prepared for class as you'd like to be, or you didn't get 8 hours of sleep, or whatever. Nobody's a robot. I put it too strongly when I wrote, "struggling to hold on." In fact, that wasn't what I was trying to convey at all...I don't know what I wrote it. My gripe is really just the never-let-them-see-you-sweat mentality.


Sorry. No. And I have 2 kids.

Edit: this isn't about being smart. It's about making a practical plan and being able to stick to it. I get enough sleep, play with the kids, take care of my other responsibilities, and play golf. I don't know if I would get awesome grades, but I am not behind in any sort of way, and haven't been since day 1.

UML
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby UML » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
UML wrote:I don't care who you are, on certain days you are crunched for time, or you aren't as prepared for class as you'd like to be, or you didn't get 8 hours of sleep, or whatever. Nobody's a robot. I put it too strongly when I wrote, "struggling to hold on." In fact, that wasn't what I was trying to convey at all...I don't know what I wrote it. My gripe is really just the never-let-them-see-you-sweat mentality.


Sorry. No. And I have 2 kids.


And a spouse to do all your shit for you? I have a kid too...that doesn't make things any more difficult. Having a family is an advantage. It's funny though. I'd differentiate between those who never sweat and those who never let others see them sweat. The former are usually missing something.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:21 am

UML wrote:
And a spouse to do all your shit for you? I have a kid too...that doesn't make things any more difficult. It's funny though. I'd differentiate between those who never sweat and those who never let others see them sweat. The former are usually missing something.


My wife goes to school full time and works at an lab. I have the kids from 5-bedtime 3 times a week (during which time I don't do school work).

UML
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby UML » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:23 am

r6_philly wrote:
UML wrote:
And a spouse to do all your shit for you? I have a kid too...that doesn't make things any more difficult. It's funny though. I'd differentiate between those who never sweat and those who never let others see them sweat. The former are usually missing something.


My wife goes to school full time and works at an lab. I have the kids from 5-bedtime 3 times a week (during which time I don't do school work).


Exactly. An advantage. A break from studying where you're not getting drunk or talking about law school w/ other law students. A recuperative break.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:26 am

UML wrote:
Exactly. An advantage. A break from studying where you're not getting drunk or talking about law school w/ other law students. A recuperative break.


I am not the only one who knows how to manage time and getting things done. Just because people don't appear sweating doesn't mean they are 1) missing something or 2) not showing that they are sweating. You are assuming too much. I also work a 4 hour pro-bono shift once a week, my colleagues are not exactly complaining that they are falling behind. Yes there are people who are struggling to hang on, but there are many others going just fine.

Again I am not claiming any of this translate to grades, but the notion that most people are struggling is just simply false.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baller31, Bing [Bot], esrom55 and 14 guests