What do you hate most about law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What do you hate most about LS?

The curve
37%
The gunners
13%
The assigned work
6%
The unassigned work
7%
The professors
2%
The economy
36%

Total votes: 249

ph14

Gold

Re: What do you hate most about law school?

Post by ph14 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:15 am

thedive wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Memos, and it's not even close
+1
While memos are a huge time-sink and not the most fun thing, they wouldn't be bad at all if it wasn't for the curve. The only choices that should be up there are the curve and the economy.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 am

What do you hate most about law school?
All the time spent in, and preparing for, the classes.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:18 am

There is gonna be a difference between classes. As of right now: I hate the professors the most. Sure, there are some cool profs. There are also a significant amount of pompous douchebags who constantly flex on law students and think it is acceptable. Fuck them.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 am

Curve narrowly beats out economy. If it wasn't for the damn curve, I would actually find a good portion of this stuff interesting, enjoyable, and not stressful in the least.

Of course, if it wasn't for the economy, I wouldn't have to worry so much about the damn curve.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:46 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:Curve narrowly beats out economy. If it wasn't for the damn curve, I would actually find a good portion of this stuff interesting, enjoyable, and not stressful in the least.

Of course, if it wasn't for the economy, I wouldn't have to worry so much about the damn curve.
What's wrong with you people? I could take the curve and the economy. It's the gunners (2L gunners are the worst, btw), that make me want to pound my head against the desk until I lose consciousness just to escape their inane bullshit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:48 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:Curve narrowly beats out economy. If it wasn't for the damn curve, I would actually find a good portion of this stuff interesting, enjoyable, and not stressful in the least.

What's wrong with you people? I could take the curve and the economy. It's the gunners (2L gunners are the worst, btw), that make me want to pound my head against the desk until I lose consciousness just to escape their inane bullshit.
In my section at least, the gunners are quite tame. In fact, I don't think we really have anyone that truly qualifies for the title.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:58 am

ph14 wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

In my section at least, the gunners are quite tame. In fact, I don't think we really have anyone that truly qualifies for the title.
I think I lost all my patience for mindless droning as a humanities major in undergrad. As a quick rule of thumb, I take a raised hand in class as a sign that someone very likely needs to be punched in the face. The presumption is, of course, can be rebutted.
Last edited by mrloblaw on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 am

Journal.

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:09 am

The material. And the actual physical building itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:15 am

ph14 wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

This. If we had them, I'm sure I'd hate them, but everyone in my section is pretty cool in that respect.

Also, to whoever mentioned the 8% pumpkin ale: what kind is it? I have a nasty LRW assignment due on Wednesday, and that sounds like exactly what I need to make Tuesday evening less miserable.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:06 am

Antilles Haven wrote:The material. And the actual physical building itself.
BU?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:11 am

Definitely the curve. My special-snowflake-liberal-arts-background self just hates it so much.

Even in a better economy, it just makes me sad that half of everyone has to be below average.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:38 am

IAFG wrote:Definitely the curve. My special-snowflake-liberal-arts-background self just hates it so much.

Even in a better economy, it just makes me sad that half of everyone has to be below average.
Obviously the curve itself isn't that bad, but I think people may be referring to the way that the curve makes classmates act. I haven't experienced it personally, but I've definitely heard accounts of people hiding books and engaging in other douchey toolishness at law schools because some people see the curve and think "that means it's a competition against my classmates, and their loss is my win."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:20 am

Law school is great most of the time. It's when a bunch of things come together that it starts to suck, like when a graded memo during 1L throws off everything else you have to do, or fall of 2L when you're dealing with OCI/journal/class.

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:23 am

Absolutely the economy, no question about that.

Second is Legal Practice Skills (Legal Writing), with the curve coming in a close third.

Bronze

Post by 174 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:23 am

IAFG wrote:My special-snowflake-liberal-arts-background self
Not directed at you, but this personality type was annoyingly common at my law school.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:34 am

The curve, definitely.

The creeping paranoia that everyone else is doing more than you are even though you're busting your ass is tough to handle. I know that if I could just chill out and do things the way I've always done them I'd be fine, but it's hard to do when it feels like everyone else lives in the library. It sucks feeling like you know stuff backwards and forwards and in the end it won't matter because everyone else does too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:53 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
ph14 wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

This. If we had them, I'm sure I'd hate them, but everyone in my section is pretty cool in that respect.

Also, to whoever mentioned the 8% pumpkin ale: what kind is it? I have a nasty LRW assignment due on Wednesday, and that sounds like exactly what I need to make Tuesday evening less miserable.
It's Schlafly, but that might be specific to St Louis. Great stuff.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:53 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:The material. And the actual physical building itself.
BU?
Exactly my first thought.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 am

Fighting the curve as a working PT student (as opposed to the non-working ones.)
I have ZERO resentment towards my classmates (hey, I knew what I was getting into - it was
my choice to do it this way) but man, it is incredibly frustrating.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 am

I agree wholeheartedly that the curve makes the work primarily about doing it as effectively and tailored to the professor's needs as possible, to the disadvantage of looking at the work for what it is, and it's purpose in becoming a lawyer. I don't understand why people care about a gunner, who is basically just someone who is fervently interested in the subject, as opposed to the majority of the class that is on facebook anyway. At least they provide you with a window of time to catch up and organize your thoughts on what was just mentioned.

The worst in my opinion are the people whose maturity level is so low that they casually text while the prof is speaking, and in some cases, look at the person whom they are texting, and smile and laugh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 174 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:25 pm

waxecstatic wrote: The worst in my opinion are the people whose maturity level is so low that they casually text while the prof is speaking, and in some cases, look at the person whom they are texting, and smile and laugh.
No fun allowed guys.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:49 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Memos, and it's not even close
+1

I only have LRW once a week and there's always a bunch of work to do for it, its only 2 credits and my professor is incredibly intense and intimidating. She spent an entire 15 minute conference ripping me a new one about my practice memo and then was like "you did well," and ended to conference. That and on top of all the reading and studying for other substantive classes, I often forget about LRW work.

Though, the curve is definitely the enemy. I went into my one midterm stressed because while I knew everything and could relate it and explain it properly and adequately, I just felt that wasn't enough. You can't help but look around the room and think "What is it that everyone else is doing? Who do I know I'm doing better than," etc. It makes it unreasonably competitive, especially ITE.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:15 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
The worst in my opinion are the people whose maturity level is so low that they casually text while the prof is speaking, and in some cases, look at the person whom they are texting, and smile and laugh.

tyft

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:18 pm

That they lie about job stats.

That the dean makes over 300k per year. (What does he do all day to create that much value?)

That the professors are delusional about prospects for grads.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”