Have You Ever...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Have You Ever...

Postby goosey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:42 pm

gone through an entire course without doing the reading??

I have been doing this for one of my classes...the professor essentially spells out the BLL and never discusses the cases. he talks about all the nuances. reading seems like a total waste of time [I tried it in the beginning]

I have resorted to writing every single thing that comes out of his mouth and stopped reading the case book within the first 2 weeks of class. I went to speak to our academic advisement lady and she told me the general concensus is that the cases mean 0 for this guy's exam and she thinks I am def not harming myself if i dont read, as long as I neverrr miss class.

My psycho anxiety tendencies are making me doubt myself. we are almost 4 weeks from finals and I am scared about the fact that I have not read close to 300 pages for this class.

has anyone successfully done this?

flcath

Re: Have You Ever...

Postby flcath » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:03 pm

This could be 2 things:

(1) nobody in the course is, and the readings are BS. Crim law with Blakey at Notre Dame is like this. He kinda just goes on about working with Bobby Kennedy and Rehnquist and RICO and shit like that.

(2) you should be doing the readings, but you're not, so you'll just have to study your ass off at the end.

I've done both, they're both totally doable, and you can still make A's and A-'s doing either.

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Which professor?

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:25 am

flcath wrote:This could be 2 things:

(1) nobody in the course is, and the readings are BS. Crim law with Blakey at Notre Dame is like this. He kinda just goes on about working with Bobby Kennedy and Rehnquist and RICO and shit like that.

(2) you should be doing the readings, but you're not, so you'll just have to study your ass off at the end.

I've done both, they're both totally doable, and you can still make A's and A-'s doing either.

the few people I have spoken to does the reading but thinks class is a waste of time. I feel the exact opposite. Pizon apparently has this same professor for another course and also does not do the reading.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 am

goosey wrote:

the few people I have spoken to does the reading but thinks class is a waste of time. I feel the exact opposite. Pizon apparently has this same professor for another course and also does not do the reading.

Honestly you're fine either way.

My experience (which is anecdotal, but I've done as well as anyone could hope expect to do coming in [i.e., made LR]) is that exam prep >> keeping up with the material.

Lastly, there's a lot of 1L bullshit (both pretentious posturing to appear smart and flat-out disinformation to shake others' confidence) that goes around; generally ignore it. Study like you want to study and I promise you'll do better than if you try to imitate the "perfect" study scheme of reading/practice exams/supplements/outlines/study groups/CALI that you always hear about on TLS and elsewhere.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:18 am

I would skim through the syllabus and casebook and make sure that he's not skipping any of the cases found in the reading.

If he covers in class all that he assigns, don't bother with the reading.

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 am

(1) Buy a commercial canned brief book for the class.

(2) Spend a fraction of the time reviewing the cases rather than reading 300 pages of the full case book.

(3) . . .

(4) Profit.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:33 am

*paging DF*

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Did you have Blakey? I have Blakey now, I am working largely from the supplements besides knowing the cases he emphasizes (Hoffa, Wong Sun). Do you have any tips on how I should approach exams? (Closed book) PM me if you do.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”