If You Made Great Grades Your 1L Year Please Reply

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
4gttngBrandonMarshal

If You Made Great Grades Your 1L Year Please Reply

Postby 4gttngBrandonMarshal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Currently a 1L and obsessed with making great grades because I want to transfer to a better school. I've done the LEEWS program and have started practicing it. i've read Getting to Maybe and I'm about to outline it soon. Exams in less than 2 months and I am focused on outlining, doing questions in practice tests via the LEEWS method, and staying current in class.

Does anyone who made great grades their first year (Top 1% - 15% or close) have any advice on how to make A's on exams and have an outstanding 1L year?

ph14

Re: If You Made Great Grades Your 1L Year Please Reply

Postby ph14 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:41 pm

4gttngBrandonMarshal wrote:Currently a 1L and obsessed with making great grades because I want to transfer to a better school. I've done the LEEWS program and have started practicing it. i've read Getting to Maybe and I'm about to outline it soon. Exams in less than 2 months and I am focused on outlining, doing questions in practice tests via the LEEWS method, and staying current in class.

Does anyone who made great grades their first year (Top 1% - 15% or close) have any advice on how to make A's on exams and have an outstanding 1L year?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm

4gttngBrandonMarshal wrote:Currently a 1L and obsessed with making great grades because I want to transfer to a better school. I've done the LEEWS program and have started practicing it. i've read Getting to Maybe and I'm about to outline it soon. Exams in less than 2 months and I am focused on outlining, doing questions in practice tests via the LEEWS method, and staying current in class.

Flame.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:

Flame.

Probably not.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:

Flame.

Probably not.

I hope for the best in people.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Step One: Acquire Dice
Step Two: Roll Dice
Step Three: Get Lucky
Step Four: A's

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Work hard, be smart, get lucky- then you should be fine.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Why would you outline GTM?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 pm

lol I hate law students.

pretzels

Postby pretzels » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 pm

type fast

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:59 pm

You're at a Tier 3 and looking at Harvard; you don't need 'great' grades, you need to be #1 in your class.

4gttngBrandonMarshal

Postby 4gttngBrandonMarshal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Kabuo wrote:Why would you outline GTM?

To look at while answering practice exam questions. I want to practice familiarizing myself with using the skills.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:27 pm

4gttngBrandonMarshal wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Why would you outline GTM?

To look at while answering practice exam questions. I want to practice familiarizing myself with using the skills.

I wasn't sure if flame before this.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 pm

ph14 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092
This.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 am

Holly Golightly wrote:lol I hate law students.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:27 am

romothesavior wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:lol I hate law students.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:44 am

Okay, I'll bite.

One thing a lot of law students overlook is proper citation on the exam. You want to make sure you cite to as many cases as possible on an issue-spotter, and be sure to use accurate bluebook citation. Professors regularly will give bonus points for this sort of thing, and it makes you stand out in a good way.

Also, you want to really take your time and outline your answer before you start typing. If you have a 3-4 hour exam, I'd spend at least an hour outlining your answer. Don't worry about writing a lot, just keep it brief and concise (other than your citations, which should be abundant).

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:47 am

romothesavior wrote:Okay, I'll bite.

One thing a lot of law students overlook is proper citation on the exam. You want to make sure you cite to as many cases as possible on an issue-spotter, and be sure to use accurate bluebook citation. Professors regularly will give bonus points for this sort of thing, and it makes you stand out in a good way.

Also, you want to really take your time and outline your answer before you start typing. If you have a 3-4 hour exam, I'd spend at least an hour outlining your answer. Don't worry about writing a lot, just keep it brief and concise (other than your citations, which should be abundant).

Also, there is no need to restate an issue you've previously analyzed in another question. Otherwise, you're just wasting time.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:41 pm

In two of my issue spotter classes my grade was lowered from an A to a B+ because I kept typing Id. instead of Id.

Don't make the same mistakes.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:

In two of my issue spotter classes my grade was lowered from an A to a B+ because I kept typing Id. instead of Id.

No offense, but where do you people go to law school? I thought the first example was a flame.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:22 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:

No offense, but where do you people go to law school? I thought the first example was a flame.

Definitely not a flame. I usually spent around and hour of a 4 hr exam making sure my bluebook cites wore correct. Top 20%SECURE.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:31 pm

LOL at outlining Getting to Maybe.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:41 pm

LOL at even reading Getting to Maybe. The whole point of that book is "always explore possible ambiguities." There, you've read it, you're done. Now what I would do with the time you've just freed up is read the bluebook a few times. Don't worry as much about the charts and abbreviations, those you can look up in rare intances, but the rules themselves need to be read through a few times.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Grizz wrote:
Definitely not a flame. I usually spent around and hour of a 4 hr exam making sure my bluebook cites wore correct. Top 20%SECURE.

That's ...odd to me. I never referred to anything other than UCC sections and FRCP by name during my 1L exams, and most of my professors overtly expressed that they didn't care if we remembered case names, so long as we properly applied the doctrines from those cases and could e.g. designate Int'l Shoe by something as descriptive as "that case about the shoe stores in Washington."

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”