How to Study?: Closed Book Multiple Choice Only Civ Pro Exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Cade McNown

How to Study?: Closed Book Multiple Choice Only Civ Pro Exam

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi guys

My Civil Procedure exam is closed book and 100% multiple choice. Based on 2 example questions in our syllabus, each question is essentially a small hypo with one correct answer and 3-4 wrong answers. Aside from these 2 examples, there are no practice exam questions available to me because the professor does not release previous years' exams (2Ls tell me this is because the test doesn't change much from year to year).

Given this very limited availability of resources, how should I go about studying for this exam? I'll at least have my own outline to study from, as well as a Black Letter Outline written by the professor as a supplement to the casebook. Any advice would be appreciated.

Geist13

Re: How to Study?: Closed Book Multiple Choice Only Civ Pro Exam

Postby Geist13 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:55 pm

I've found that really detailed notecards, although a pain in the ass to make, are a really good way to learn the material very quickly. Make sure to practice them outloud to yourself. For my closed book exams I would either have my girlfirend quiz me and I would talk her through what the answers on the back of the card meant, or I would just pace through my house and say the answers outloud to myself. I'd make a card that says something like Rule 8(a). Write the rule on the back, then all the cases, and whatever policy stuff. then when that card comes up just try to remember everything you have on the back of that card, say it outloud and then repeat it twice if you get it wrong.

interalia504

Postby interalia504 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:06 pm

You're going to have to get The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure: Learning Civil Procedure Through Multiple-Choice Questions and Analysis. Must have considering your exam format.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:27 am

interalia504 wrote:You're going to have to get The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure: Learning Civil Procedure Through Multiple-Choice Questions and Analysis. Must have considering your exam format.

This.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 am

Cade McNown wrote:Hi guys

My Civil Procedure exam is closed book and 100% multiple choice. Based on 2 example questions in our syllabus, each question is essentially a small hypo with one correct answer and 3-4 wrong answers. Aside from these 2 examples, there are no practice exam questions available to me because the professor does not release previous years' exams (2Ls tell me this is because the test doesn't change much from year to year).

Given this very limited availability of resources, how should I go about studying for this exam? I'll at least have my own outline to study from, as well as a Black Letter Outline written by the professor as a supplement to the casebook. Any advice would be appreciated.

Similar situation but in contracts: Siegalls, multiple choice questions from Emanuels Crunch Time, I really really really love these...http://www.aspenpublishers.com/Product. ... 0735598002

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
interalia504 wrote:You're going to have to get The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure: Learning Civil Procedure Through Multiple-Choice Questions and Analysis. Must have considering your exam format.

This.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Any other thoughts anyone?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

This.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Any other thoughts anyone?

Crunchtime by Emmanuel's has multiple choice and short answer review.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:01 pm

PMBR, Lexis Q&A, and Glannon's Guide. All MC 1L exam = joke prof. Unless his questions have been used for years and are statistically valid, the curve is going to be messed up. For example, my crim pro class has 150 students in it and the midterm is only 38 MC questions. Prof expects 10-15% to get all the questions correct. Only 8 people can get an A. How's that gonna work?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:08 pm

shepdawg wrote:PMBR, Lexis Q&A, and Glannon's Guide. All MC 1L exam = joke prof. Unless his questions have been used for years and are statistically valid, the curve is going to be messed up. For example, my crim pro class has 150 students in it and the midterm is only 38 MC questions. Prof expects 10-15% to get all the questions correct. Only 8 people can get an A. How's that gonna work?

How big is your section?

Also, civpro multiple choice is going to be harder that crim multiple choice. My crim exam was a joke...and is my worst grade in law school to date.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:50 pm

shepdawg wrote:PMBR, Lexis Q&A, and Glannon's Guide. All MC 1L exam = joke prof killer prof considered for Dean. Unless his her questions have been used for years and are statistically valid (they have and are), the curve is going to be messed up. For example, my crim pro (asked about civ pro) class has 150 students in it and the midterm is only 38 MC questions. Prof expects 10-15% to get all the questions correct. Only 8 people can get an A. How's that gonna work?

Thanks for the recommendations.

Holly Golightly wrote:How big is your section?

Also, civpro multiple choice is going to be harder that crim multiple choice. My crim exam was a joke...and is my worst grade in law school to date.

Section is 100 people. 40 Questions, incredibly hard test. Last year 18 right answers was an A-.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”