Need advice on IRAC legal memo

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nyx

Need advice on IRAC legal memo

Postby Nyx » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I am working on a closed IRAC legal memo, but I have never used IRAC before and I'm wondering how to separate the rules from the issues. Basically, I have read several things that say to separate the issues into several sub-issues that address the legal aspects/elements of the main issue, but do I do this and then restate these same requirements in the "rules" portion? I'm a little confused and haven't found an answer on the interwebs yet :(

shoeshine

Re: Need advice on IRAC legal memo

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:18 pm

Nyx wrote:Hi all,

I am working on a closed IRAC legal memo, but I have never used IRAC before and I'm wondering how to separate the rules from the issues. Basically, I have read several things that say to separate the issues into several sub-issues that address the legal aspects/elements of the main issue, but do I do this and then restate these same requirements in the "rules" portion? I'm a little confused and haven't found an answer on the interwebs yet :(

What? IRAC on a memo? Do you mean CREAC?

Nyx

Postby Nyx » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:22 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Nyx wrote:Hi all,

What? IRAC on a memo? Do you mean CREAC?

Our prof told us he wanted IRAC. It is a short (1000 word) closed memo and we are not supposed to restate facts. I was hoping I could maybe modify the format a little (to put the conclusion earlier) but I'm a little worried about straying at all from what he said he preferred.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Issue = Question (i.e. followed by a question mark)
Rule = Answer

Issue: Is a guy who punches you in the face guilty of battery?
Rule: Yes, that guy would have made harmful or offensive contact with your face, so he is guilty of battery.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Issue = Question presented (E.g. Was John Negligent when he did blank?).
Rule = Rule Statement (Negligence has four elements: duty, breach, causation, and damages.
Analysis = Argument (John was negligent because.......)
Conclusion = Conclusion (Therefore, John was negligent when he did blank).

Technically, you would split the above into four separate IRACs (one for each element). But this should give you the basic idea. Most legal writing memos won't follow IRAC since IRAC is better suited for regular exams. Rather, your professor will probably require CREAC or a variant of CREAC.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”