Socratic Method Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What are your thoughts on the socratic method?

I like it alot. I find it helpful and superior to standard lecturing.
22%
I personally like it, but I find it doesn't contribute to helping the majority learn or creating an effective class overall.
15%
I don't personally like it, but it has its value as a teaching method and I support its ongoing use.
18%
I don't like it, and I find that it is an unnecessary and archaic teaching method with costs far exceeding any benefits.
42%
I have an opinion far different from these options which I will explain in a posted reply.
3%

Total votes: 97

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: Socratic Method

Post by kahechsof » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:09 pm

"I have an opinion far different from these options which I will explain in a posted reply."

I have studied in an institution which actually used the socratic method, and I can tell you- what you see in law school has no relation to what socrates did.
Cold calling is about making sure you read the material assigned. It has no relation to learning. Having students recite the facts of the case does not help them or the other students learn any differently than the professor just saying them, or assuming you already know what you are supposed to have read.

The socratic method is supposed to be that the teacher leads the discussion by asking thoughtful questions which cause the students to discover themselves what is to be learned. I have never seen a professor in law school do that.
I have seen them ask thoughtful questions, and then if the answer given was not to their liking, they eventually just spit out what they want to say. I rarely seen interaction between students during class. I rarely see sides forming, and different possibilities coming out.

Part of it is that there is simply not enough time, and part of it is that the professors are not teaching anything very intellectual. I have rarely walked out of class with the feeling that I needed to think about an idea further because I wasn't sure about. I do sometimes not understand an idea, but that is easily rectified by just asking the professor to clarify. I don't pace the library pondering anything from class.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 pm

first few class sessions in torts, my professor cold-called someone. the person hadn't read and was like "oh I'm sorry I thought that the syllabus had that reading for next class session so I haven't read it yet." The prof. was fairly irked by the student and went on this little rant about how people need to come prepared to class, etc. After that she tells the student it's ok, but in the future she should come to class prepared. Then, she literally goes, "So, Ms. XXX" and proceeds to ask her the EXACT same question. It was brutal. That was when I decided I would rather pull an all-nighter reading than show up to torts unprepared... :shock:

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 am

all my teachers use the socratic method.

with that said, i still haven't been cold called once in any class.

must be a record.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:14 am

I've had professors make fun of me on cold calls. Who cares. I just say dumb shit. I barely read. Fuck them.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Grizz wrote:I've had professors make fun of me on cold calls. Who cares. I just say dumb shit. I barely read. Fuck them.
that's the spirit.

kill the exams and you'll be the one laughing. :twisted:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:42 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”