What are CALI awards?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

What are CALI awards?

Postby Verity » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:01 pm

When they say "highest scoring student in each class" determined by the "instructor or registrar," are they talking about scoring on the CALI lessons? Does it go by each subject? When do you find out if you won?

User avatar
Angus MacGyver
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby Angus MacGyver » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Verity wrote:When they say "highest scoring student in each class" determined by the "instructor or registrar," are they talking about scoring on the CALI lessons? Does it go by each subject? When do you find out if you won?


Cali certificates are awarded to the person who achieves the "High A" in each law school subject/class.

It has nothing to do with your performance on the CALI lessons.

If you get the high A, you get a certificate and a coupon for a free Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby quiver » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Angus MacGyver wrote:a coupon for a free Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza
This is the real reason people go for it. Nobody actually cares about law school grades, they all just want pizza.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Angus MacGyver wrote:
Verity wrote:When they say "highest scoring student in each class" determined by the "instructor or registrar," are they talking about scoring on the CALI lessons? Does it go by each subject? When do you find out if you won?


Cali certificates are awarded to the person who achieves the "High A" in each law school subject/class.

It has nothing to do with your performance on the CALI lessons.

If you get the high A, you get a certificate and a coupon for a free Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza.


Some people get pizza?? Damn, Illinois sucks. This is worse than lying about medians.

nickwar
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby nickwar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Sorry, seemed opportune.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby random5483 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:25 am

Cali awards go to the most outstanding student in a given class. If the class has 10 students, only one can win the CALI award. If a class has 100 students, only one can win the CALI award. In most schools, the student with the highest grade will get the CALI award. Not all professors/classes/schools award CALI awards.


Winners of the CALI award are listed publically on the CALI website. Information can be found here - --LinkRemoved--

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby de5igual » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:56 am

nickwar wrote:If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Sorry, seemed opportune.


right...except most schools don't have "CALI" awards. hth.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby reasonable_man » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:42 am

They are certificates that I stuck on the bottom shelf in my office never to see the light of day.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm

f0bolous wrote:
nickwar wrote:If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Sorry, seemed opportune.


right...except most schools don't have "CALI" awards. hth.

Your 'tar, it's awesome.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm

reasonable_man wrote:They are certificates that I stuck on the bottom shelf in my office never to see the light of day.

On point, yet again.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby jkay » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Something only douches talk about.

In other words, a hot topic in the law review offices.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:35 am

jkay wrote:Something only douches talk about.

In other words, a hot topic in the law review offices.



All kidding aside, those fuckers take them seriously...

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby king3780 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:54 am

reasonable_man wrote:
jkay wrote:Something only douches talk about.

In other words, a hot topic in the law review offices.



All kidding aside, those fuckers take them seriously...


My school doesn't give Calis, but for shits and giggles I looked to see if my friend's school does. While scanning for his name I came across some broad who had a few, so I googled her name to see where she ended up working. She's at some decent sized firm in Vegas and her firm bio says she won 10 Calis. Crazy. Also interesting is she was a first year associate and like 40 years old.

agroothuis
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: What are CALI awards?

Postby agroothuis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi guys,

I work for CALI.

There's normally a good amount of confusion about CALI Awards, so feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Some facts to help clear up a few common misconceptions:

- The funniest thing I see year-after-year is the difference in perception of the awards between students at CALI Award and Non-CALI Award schools.

If you're at a school that doesn't give awards you, of course, assume that most schools don't give awards. Or you assume that the awards are the mark of a less reputable school than yours. But if you attend a school that does give CALI Awards, they're such a big part of the 1L experience that you assume every law student must know about them.

Truth is, it's about a 50/50 split across US law schools, and that list covers all tiers. So this confusion is understandable.

--LinkRemoved-- (sorry, it's at our old site).

- With 100+ schools giving awards for several years now, that means that most legal recruiters and hiring managers recognize CALI Awards. I don't blame you for stashing away the kinda cheesy certificate so it's never to be seen again. But in this market, leave your award - and the chance to differentiate yourself as the top performer in a class - off your resume at your own risk.

- The professor of each course chooses the winner(s) of the award based on whatever criteria he/she chooses, assuming the school doesn't have a standard for picking winners.

- The school reports the winners to us.

- Based on the list they give us, we print awards for the school to distribute and then list winners at the link above.

- The school or the individual student, however, has the option to hide their awards from the public, so not all awards are listed at the link.

Thanks for your interest and, again, any questions let me know.

Austin Groothuis
CALI
austin_at_cali_dot_org




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: esrom55, LawHammer and 13 guests