Memo Woes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby Lasers » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Does anyone else feel as if the scope wasn't as narrow as it was intended to be for the gw memo? E.g. there wasn't sufficient enough research to realize how complex each issue could be, and we weren't given enough information?

I am finding in a couple of places I have to make assumptions based on the fact pattern.

does your whole year or section get the same memo? almost all of our 12 person groups get different memos, and for this one every single professor writes their own for their 12 student class


That seems a bit unfair if the class is curved and graded.

it's graded but it doesn't go into our gpa, it is listed separately. they set a b+ median but can distribute grades how they want as long as they keep the b+

wait what?

the median is a b+? that seems kind of high?

i haven't gotten my graded memo yet. i have a feeling though i'll be in the same position as you in that some of my paragraphs were completely untouched...i can just see my teacher marking me up despite that.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12506
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby jessuf » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:18 am

Does anyone else have a pretty strict word count restriction?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:10 am

Jessuf wrote:Does anyone else have a pretty strict word count restriction?


I have a strict page limit. The open memo is killing me, ugh.

User avatar
stewie27
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby stewie27 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:51 am

ilovesf wrote:I got a B+ on my first graded memo, and it counts for like 30% of my grade. I'm not totally unhappy with that grade, but it sucks because on my first draft she wrote great job on some sections and offered no criticism for those areas, and then marked it up a lot on my final draft and wrote a bunch of things she didn't like about it. I specifically asked her if I should change some of those areas during our meeting, and she told me no and that it was good the way it was, then wrote on my final draft I should change it. wtf is up with that? tl;dr, memos suck and memo grading is stupid.


You already got your memo back? We handed ours in last week and won't get them back until the end of our finals in December. I guess so we don't get a shitty grade and lose focus on our other finals (?). But, I'd rather know.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ilovesf » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:16 pm

stewie27 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I got a B+ on my first graded memo, and it counts for like 30% of my grade. I'm not totally unhappy with that grade, but it sucks because on my first draft she wrote great job on some sections and offered no criticism for those areas, and then marked it up a lot on my final draft and wrote a bunch of things she didn't like about it. I specifically asked her if I should change some of those areas during our meeting, and she told me no and that it was good the way it was, then wrote on my final draft I should change it. wtf is up with that? tl;dr, memos suck and memo grading is stupid.


You already got your memo back? We handed ours in last week and won't get them back until the end of our finals in December. I guess so we don't get a shitty grade and lose focus on our other finals (?). But, I'd rather know.

well we have three memos and two of them are graded. so i already handed in two memos and get both back. my final draft of my third memo is due november 8th, i'm not sure when we're going to get it back though.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby target » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:16 pm

ilovesf wrote:I got a B+ on my first graded memo, and it counts for like 30% of my grade. I'm not totally unhappy with that grade, but it sucks because on my first draft she wrote great job on some sections and offered no criticism for those areas, and then marked it up a lot on my final draft and wrote a bunch of things she didn't like about it. I specifically asked her if I should change some of those areas during our meeting, and she told me no and that it was good the way it was, then wrote on my final draft I should change it. wtf is up with that? tl;dr, memos suck and memo grading is stupid.


sorry to hear that. this happened to several people in my section. did your prof. make any comments in class after your first draft due? maybe something there that you missed?

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:38 pm

ph14 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Does anyone else have a pretty strict word count restriction?


I have a strict page limit. The open memo is killing me, ugh.


Same here. I'm about 300 words over the limit and I don't know wtf I'm gonna do...

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:42 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Does anyone else have a pretty strict word count restriction?


I have a strict page limit. The open memo is killing me, ugh.


Same here. I'm about 300 words over the limit and I don't know wtf I'm gonna do...


Slash and burn my friend. First look for ways to say things more concisely: summarizing a case in one sentence rather than two, eliminating unnecessary clauses and wordy phrases (which improves your writing anyways). Then find the least disputed issue you've addressed and cut back on analysis. Each issue doesn't necessarily need an equal amount of treatment. Then i guess cut out your weakest argument and hope for the best.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:58 pm

ph14 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Does anyone else have a pretty strict word count restriction?


I have a strict page limit. The open memo is killing me, ugh.


Same here. I'm about 300 words over the limit and I don't know wtf I'm gonna do...


Slash and burn my friend. First look for ways to say things more concisely: summarizing a case in one sentence rather than two, eliminating unnecessary clauses and wordy phrases (which improves your writing anyways). Then find the least disputed issue you've addressed and cut back on analysis. Each issue doesn't necessarily need an equal amount of treatment. Then i guess cut out your weakest argument and hope for the best.


+1. Also switch to active voice whenever possible, and eliminate "throat-clearing" words/phrases (i.e. It is important to note that...")

User avatar
jim
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby jim » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:26 pm

I have nothing constructive to add. I just want to bitch about my open memo (rough draft due Weds).

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 69Coronet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Ugh, jim, I'm with you.
I've literally spent the entirety of a Saturday working on this ugly beast of a memo, and its likely I'll be spending a portion of my Sunday on it as well.
Mine is due Tuesday, though, and I swear I can't wait to have it over and done with...

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:46 pm

.
Last edited by ph14 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 pm

beachbum wrote:
ph14 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
Slash and burn my friend. First look for ways to say things more concisely: summarizing a case in one sentence rather than two, eliminating unnecessary clauses and wordy phrases (which improves your writing anyways). Then find the least disputed issue you've addressed and cut back on analysis. Each issue doesn't necessarily need an equal amount of treatment. Then i guess cut out your weakest argument and hope for the best.


+1. Also switch to active voice whenever possible, and eliminate "throat-clearing" words/phrases (i.e. It is important to note that...")


Eliminate discussion of a case or two and either put in an explanatory parenthetical or omit. One case per rule actually discussed. Other than that, the facts sections, into/conclusion, and your application to the current case are the easiest places to cut. Also, can you combine a rule or two? Many people get too specific when starting out.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 pm

ph14 wrote:Inane questions that doesn't really need redacting.


They do this on purpose.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:50 pm

.
Last edited by ph14 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:03 pm

.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:07 pm

.
Last edited by ph14 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby Metaread » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Are practice commentaries binding law?

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:18 pm

.
Last edited by SilverE2 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Metaread wrote:Are practice commentaries binding law?


Not sure if srs. If you are, then no.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:19 pm

.
Last edited by ph14 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby Metaread » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:22 pm

If practice commentaries aren't binding law, can they be used in making an argument, or is that a stupid idea?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Metaread wrote:If practice commentaries aren't binding law, can they be used in making an argument, or is that a stupid idea?


No it's not necessarily a bad idea. It can be useful for macro-organization. That's how my professor told us we should organize our first memo. Definitely try and get case support though, preferably in your jurisdiction if you can, to supplement the practice commentary. They should have lots of cases in the footnotes for each point so it shouldn't be too difficult.

User avatar
maxm2764
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby maxm2764 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:34 pm

I. Hate. This. Goddamn. Memo.

Studying for exams sounds fucking wonderful at this point.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:08 pm

ph14 wrote:
Blah?


Definitely no. Witholding relevant or controlling precedent is an ethical violation. I said slant, not withhold. Just use the cases to frame the rules in ways that help, or at least neutral, to you.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests