Memo Woes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shock259

Re: Memo Woes

Postby shock259 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:47 am

Just a huge time sink for a few credits. Meh.

Mine's due tomorrow. Just gotta cut 50 words and clean up one section.

always206

Postby always206 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:40 pm

All I do in LRW is spin my wheels. I tell myself I will get it done and never move forward.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:24 pm

And the memo is turned in. Let's hope for better than a B+ on this one.

always206

Postby always206 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Wow, 4 hours in the library... and 70 words typed. If LRW is anything like a law school exam, I am screwed.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:42 pm

I have hundreds of pages of research (literally) and a couple of incoherent blurbs. Overall, though, I don't think it is SO bad. It sucks and it is kinda lame but it isn't the worst thing ever. Just praying for median here.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Exams are cool because you do all the "research before" then you're thrown in a room with your peers and have three hours to show why you're better than they are. So the adrenaline hits you and you just go.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:24 pm

I take my previous statement back. Memo writing is horrible when you have to read a fact pattern, relevant cases and statutes, and pump one out in under two hours as your LRW exam.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:28 pm

adonai wrote:I take my previous statement back. Memo writing is horrible when you have to read a fact pattern, relevant cases and statutes, and pump one out in under two hours as your LRW exam.

I hope this is for a P/F class.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
adonai wrote:I take my previous statement back. Memo writing is horrible when you have to read a fact pattern, relevant cases and statutes, and pump one out in under two hours as your LRW exam.

I hope this is for a P/F class.

All I can say is that it counts just as much as crim and contracts.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:11 pm

i had a dream last night that i got an A- on my final memo, but my prof gave me a B- in the class and told me she did that because she hates me. yikes. i'm now really convinced that this dream is foreshadowing my grade in lwr.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:56 pm

ilovesf wrote:i had a dream last night that i got an A- on my final memo, but my prof gave me a B- in the class and told me she did that because she hates me. yikes. i'm now really convinced that this dream is foreshadowing my grade in lwr.

Had the same exact dream the other night. Don't worry about it? eh.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Not a dream but I did good on the 1st memo and I am a little worried that I will do terrible on the 2nd one after getting my hopes up for a good grade lol. Even though I don't really have any reason to feel that way.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:03 pm

this semester is p/f, BUUUUUUUUUUUUT the memo counts for 40% of our spring semester grades.... and my prof is a bluebook nazi- she takes wicked points off for bad cites- and has been known to check the actual citations to determien if you got the right page identified....

which is all good to know, but now i got to cut 2 pages out.... by midnight tomorrow

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:05 pm

northwood wrote:this semester is p/f, BUUUUUUUUUUUUT the memo counts for 40% of our spring semester grades.... and my prof is a bluebook nazi- she takes wicked points off for bad cites- and has been known to check the actual citations to determien if you got the right page identified....

which is all good to know, but now i got to cut 2 pages out.... by midnight tomorrow

Wait, the same memo or a different one for spring semester? Anyways, looking on the bright side, getting graded on your bluebooking isn't so bad-- it's something you can be objectively sure (or fairly close) correctly. Especially if you stick to the basics and don't try and do anything too fancy.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:07 pm

ph14 wrote:
northwood wrote:this semester is p/f, BUUUUUUUUUUUUT the memo counts for 40% of our spring semester grades.... and my prof is a bluebook nazi- she takes wicked points off for bad cites- and has been known to check the actual citations to determien if you got the right page identified....

Wait, the same memo or a different one for spring semester? Anyways, looking on the bright side, getting graded on your bluebooking isn't so bad-- it's something you can be objectively sure (or fairly close) correctly. Especially if you stick to the basics and don't try and do anything too fancy.

I always get so nervous even just throwing in explanatory parentheticals. I just know I'm doing it wrong.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:14 pm

NYC Law wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I always get so nervous even just throwing in explanatory parentheticals. I just know I'm doing it wrong.

Yeah, they can get a little confusing when you go beyond the very basic ones.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:20 pm

do you guys have legal writing TAs? I sent mine all of my cites, including my parentheticals, and asked her to check them for me. The funny thing is she didn't find a couple of mistakes (like the abbreviates for courts involved in cases), and I only realized the night before I turned it in that I didn't find all of the necessary abbreviations.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:22 pm

ilovesf wrote:do you guys have legal writing TAs? I sent mine all of my cites, including my parentheticals, and asked her to check them for me. The funny thing is she didn't find a couple of mistakes (like the abbreviates for courts involved in cases), and I only realized the night before I turned it in that I didn't find all of the necessary abbreviations.

Your TA is likely on a journal and looking at your cites is the furtherest thing from what she is interested in.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:24 pm

ilovesf wrote:do you guys have legal writing TAs? I sent mine all of my cites, including my parentheticals, and asked her to check them for me. The funny thing is she didn't find a couple of mistakes (like the abbreviates for courts involved in cases), and I only realized the night before I turned it in that I didn't find all of the necessary abbreviations.

I do too but I don't think they will read over your final draft, just your rough one to check your citations. If there are any really tough bluebooking questions I email them but otherwise I just hope the read over the rough draft and proofreading will be enough. I avoid complicated citations if possible.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:25 pm

NYC Law wrote:
ph14 wrote:

They can be very useful though. Just think of something you'd like to convey and make sure you follow the rules...either quote a full sentence (or something you can make a full sentence by capitalizing the first word [] ), quote part of a sentence with a present participle (noting, explaining, etc), or simply summarize. They can be a great way to put a good quote in when the facts of that case really don't relate or support you that well.

E.g. when doing a defamation claim and yours is newsprint and the case is about tv shows...but there is a good quote from the Court about the importance of protecting, etc.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:26 pm

blowhard wrote:

Your TA is likely on a journal and looking at your cites is the furtherest thing from what she is interested in.

I actually don't think she is on a journal, I'm sure she doesn't care anyway, but our professor told all of us to do it, and specifically told our TAs that it was their job to do it and how important it was, blah blah blah.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:26 pm

blowhard wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
ph14 wrote:

They can be very useful though. Just think of something you'd like to convey and make sure you follow the rules...either quote a full sentence (or something you can make a full sentence by capitalizing the first word [] ), quote part of a sentence with a present participle (noting, explaining, etc), or simply summarize. They can be a great way to put a good quote in when the facts of that case really don't relate or support you that well.

E.g. when doing a defamation claim and yours is newsprint and the case is about tv shows...but there is a good quote from the Court about the importance of protecting, etc.

Are you looking to go into litigation Blowhard? You seem to be the expert on everything memo-related.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:29 pm

ph14 wrote:
Are you looking to go into litigation Blowhard? You seem to be the expert on everything memo-related.

Yeah, I'm not an expert but I actually don't mind writing. I did a lot of writing 1L summer as well (my judge didn't do memos...all final orders/opinions). Plus I'm on law review so cites (and writing my Note) are kind of my life lately.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:53 pm

ph14 wrote:

its this exact same memo that im writing..... but its motivation for me to get it right...

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Fucking B+...after she raved about how excellently it was written. :evil:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”