Memo Woes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

NYC Law wrote:
blowhard wrote:Just an FYI, professors will probably grade going over the word limit harshly as court's also impose strict word limits.


It's the truth... :|


I still got a median grade, but just for going a paragraph over the prof. put "Follow the rules!!" with a frowny face... could have been an A range grade if not for that.


You got off light. One of my 1L professors explicitly told us that we had a 3,000 word limit, and at 3,001 he wasn't reading past word 2,000 and you'd only get a grade based upon your answers to there. (This wasn't LRW either...a core class.) In general, you must follow any limits imposed in LS as they do it for a reason. I don't have the link anymore but there is a famous opinion where a CoA judge goes off on the lawyer for exceeding the word limit. In most courts, it's sanctionable for not following the local rules.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby ph14 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
blowhard wrote:Just an FYI, professors will probably grade going over the word limit harshly as court's also impose strict word limits.


It's the truth... :|


I still got a median grade, but just for going a paragraph over the prof. put "Follow the rules!!" with a frowny face... could have been an A range grade if not for that.


You got off light. One of my 1L professors explicitly told us that we had a 3,000 word limit, and at 3,001 he wasn't reading past word 2,000 and you'd only get a grade based upon your answers to there. In general, you must follow any limits imposed in LS as they do it for a reason. I don't have the link anymore but there is a famous opinion where a CoA judge goes off on the lawyer for exceeding the word limit. In most courts, it's sanctionable for not following the local rules.


Not to mention tightening up your memo and cutting it a bit generally improves it.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby Sandro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 am

I turned in a doo doo memo. Barely had time to proof read it.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby wiseowl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 am

I got a grade that started with a 2 in LRW.

I have a V100 offer and I might survive until graduation.

Life goes on, peoples.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby NYC Law » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 am

wiseowl wrote:I got a grade that started with a 2 in LRW.

I have a V100 offer and I might survive until graduation.

Life goes on, peoples.


Yeah but you go to dook

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby wiseowl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:01 am

NYC Law wrote:
wiseowl wrote:I got a grade that started with a 2 in LRW.

I have a V100 offer and I might survive until graduation.

Life goes on, peoples.


Yeah but you go to dook


which reminds me...graded LRW sucks.

i'm only trying to remind our 1L friends that though this seems like the worst times of your lives:

a) it gets worse

b) it gets better

decipher this riddle and ye hath deciphered schools of law, friends.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:01 am

wiseowl wrote:I got a grade that started with a 2 in LRW.

I have a V100 offer and I might survive until graduation.

Life goes on, peoples.


Started with a 2?

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby wiseowl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:02 am

johansantana21 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:I got a grade that started with a 2 in LRW.

I have a V100 offer and I might survive until graduation.

Life goes on, peoples.


Started with a 2?


2.X

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:02 am

wiseowl wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:I got a grade that started with a 2 in LRW.

I have a V100 offer and I might survive until graduation.

Life goes on, peoples.


Started with a 2?


2.X


At Duke? What do you guys curve to?

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby wiseowl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:03 am

johansantana21 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:I got a grade that started with a 2 in LRW.

I have a V100 offer and I might survive until graduation.

Life goes on, peoples.


Started with a 2?


2.X


At Duke? What do you guys curve to?


3.3

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:06 am

Is that a B? B+?

Anyways grats to you. After my 1st memo there's no way I'm ending up above median.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby crossarmant » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:11 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that they section stacked my LRW section with all the scholarship folks. I'm not feeling too confident about my performance. If I can pull a B in it, since the curve is a 3.0 then I'll be fine. I have much more faith in my performance in the substantive classes.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:45 am

crossarmant wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that they section stacked my LRW section with all the scholarship folks. I'm not feeling too confident about my performance. If I can pull a B in it, since the curve is a 3.0 then I'll be fine. I have much more faith in my performance in the substantive classes.


Why would you attend a law school where you're not one of the "scholarship folks"?

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby crossarmant » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:18 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Why would you attend a law school where you're not one of the "scholarship folks"?


I am. I'm just with all the rest and it makes me feel less confident than with the general populace.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:22 pm

crossarmant wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that they section stacked my LRW section with all the scholarship folks. I'm not feeling too confident about my performance. If I can pull a B in it, since the curve is a 3.0 then I'll be fine. I have much more faith in my performance in the substantive classes.


Went to your school. They don't stack sections. You are being paranoid.
hth

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:28 pm

keg411 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that they section stacked my LRW section with all the scholarship folks. I'm not feeling too confident about my performance. If I can pull a B in it, since the curve is a 3.0 then I'll be fine. I have much more faith in my performance in the substantive classes.


Went to your school. They don't stack sections. You are being paranoid.
hth


Or you didn't notice because you were at the top of the stack...

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:23 pm

blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that they section stacked my LRW section with all the scholarship folks. I'm not feeling too confident about my performance. If I can pull a B in it, since the curve is a 3.0 then I'll be fine. I have much more faith in my performance in the substantive classes.


Went to your school. They don't stack sections. You are being paranoid.
hth


Or you didn't notice because you were at the top of the stack...


???

There were scholarship people in my section and scholarship people in every other section. I knew enough people that it was pretty easy to figure out. Why don't you stop talking about things you have no idea about as you never attended my old school and know absolutely nothing about it. Plus, I was hoping it would relax crossarmant a bit about his LAWR class since the odds of doing well are not purposely "stacked" against him, and it is very likely that he will be fine.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7254
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:35 pm

LRW is such a small component of your GPA that it doesn't matter anyway. Follow what your teacher wants and you'll be fine. Also the scholarship stacking stuff is a stupid argument anyway because there's virtually no correlation between doing really well and having a scholarship. Scholarship money means you had good admission stats, that's it.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:54 pm

keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that they section stacked my LRW section with all the scholarship folks. I'm not feeling too confident about my performance. If I can pull a B in it, since the curve is a 3.0 then I'll be fine. I have much more faith in my performance in the substantive classes.


Went to your school. They don't stack sections. You are being paranoid.
hth


Or you didn't notice because you were at the top of the stack...


???

There were scholarship people in my section and scholarship people in every other section. I knew enough people that it was pretty easy to figure out. Why don't you stop talking about things you have no idea about as you never attended my old school and know absolutely nothing about it. Plus, I was hoping it would relax crossarmant a bit about his LAWR class since the odds of doing well are not purposely "stacked" against him, and it is very likely that he will be fine.


Whoa there calm down. Was complimenting you because you clearly did well. :?

Cooley is the only school I've heard of stacking. I don't even know what school you went to.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby crossarmant » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:04 pm

keg411 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that they section stacked my LRW section with all the scholarship folks. I'm not feeling too confident about my performance. If I can pull a B in it, since the curve is a 3.0 then I'll be fine. I have much more faith in my performance in the substantive classes.


Went to your school. They don't stack sections. You are being paranoid.
hth


I do think it's paranoia... So much time spent just cloistered off from everyone else working makes actually talking with others about an assignment after it's turned in a freak out.

Now just investing all hope in the 3 other classes.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Memo Woes

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm

I am still 25 words over the limit on my memo. I hate this thing. FML.

thedive
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby thedive » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:48 am

DocHawkeye wrote:I am still 25 words over the limit on my memo. I hate this thing. FML.

Writing my memo has to be the single shittiest thing of all semester.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby adonai » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:27 am

Am I the only one here who didn't think memo writing was that bad...? :oops:

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby NYC Law » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 am

adonai wrote:Am I the only one here who didn't think memo writing was that bad...? :oops:


+1

I mean meh, it's a pain, but not that bad. I'd just rather be using the time studying for the real classes.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Memo Woes

Postby adonai » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:39 am

NYC Law wrote:
adonai wrote:Am I the only one here who didn't think memo writing was that bad...? :oops:


+1

I mean meh, it's a pain, but not that bad. I'd just rather be using the time studying for the real classes.

I hear ya. It's only a thorn in the side until you actually sit down and pump it out. LRW is a real class over here, so I really couldn't afford to procrastinate on it.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CharlieAvocado, deadthrone7, Fed_Atty, Nachoo2019, wg6524 and 19 guests