Memo Woes Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Iceman389

Bronze

Re: Memo Woes

Post by Iceman389 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 pm

If only this word limit was 100 words longer I would be home free.....

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:46 am

Thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the LRW gods...I know that in a string citation you cite federal before state but what if you have two district courts in your string? Any advice? Thanks so much.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 am

alicrimson wrote:Thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the LRW gods...I know that in a string citation you cite federal before state but what if you have two district courts in your string? Any advice? Thanks so much.
Look at the rule for order of authorities. Maybe 1.3? If not, it's part of 1.2. I don't have my bluebook in front of me.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 am

alicrimson wrote:Thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the LRW gods...I know that in a string citation you cite federal before state but what if you have two district courts in your string? Any advice? Thanks so much.
Reverse chronological order, I believe.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:06 am

TooOld4This wrote:
Reverse chronological order, I believe.
I know he came here looking for a specific answer...but with blue book stuff it's better to point him to the rule. District courts are treated as one, and so are CoA, but they are not both treated as one. Courts of claims are listed in between. Bankruptcy courts aren't grouped with district courts. People tend to make these kinds of stupid mistakes when you provide blanket rules with no explanation. E.g. Just assuming all federal courts are listed in reverse chron.

The rule is 1.4 btw...more awake now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 pm

I've got one last try before I'm settled as being at the bottom of my LRW class. I'll put the work into it (even though it means I gotta take time away from studying for finals), but I gotta say something that's already been said:

Curved LRW in a 12 person class blows.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:58 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:I've got one last try before I'm settled as being at the bottom of my LRW class. I'll put the work into it (even though it means I gotta take time away from studying for finals), but I gotta say something that's already been said:

Not a statistician here, but why does it blow? Just the chance you happen to get a 12 person section of great memo writers? But it seems to be equally likely you could get people who aren't great memo writers?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:14 pm

ph14 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:I've got one last try before I'm settled as being at the bottom of my LRW class. I'll put the work into it (even though it means I gotta take time away from studying for finals), but I gotta say something that's already been said:

Not a statistician here, but why does it blow? Just the chance you happen to get a 12 person section of great memo writers? But it seems to be equally likely you could get people who aren't great memo writers?
Hey asshole, I'm trying to vent over here. Could you not fuck that up by bringing math and logic into this?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:23 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Hey asshole, I'm trying to vent over here. Could you not fuck that up by bringing math and logic into this?
You're a 1L now, you need to step your game up. Bitch about arbitrary grading or something :mrgreen:.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:35 pm

ph14 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
ph14 wrote:

You're a 1L now, you need to step your game up. Bitch about arbitrary grading or something :mrgreen:.
That's where I was headed. I can't say that I know for sure it's arbitrary because I haven't seen anyone else's work, but I doubt that my work is really that much worse than the average person's. It especially sucks because the prof won't go over specifics with what you did wrong, just making general comments. Also, the blinded grading is bullshit, cause if they want to, or even if they just have a pretty decent memory, they can tell who's memo belongs to who.

Now, back to Torts, followed by Civ Pro. What an awesome night three weeks this is going to be!

freefall21

New

Post by freefall21 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Reread my memo (stupid idea - turned it in last week) and realized I forgot to go back and double check a couple of the pinpoints... I'm pretty sure they are wrong, but scared to check now. Any ideas how much this would affect my grade?? I feel like having the wrong page number is probably looked down on... a lot...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:58 pm

freefall21 wrote:Reread my memo (stupid idea - turned it in last week) and realized I forgot to go back and double check a couple of the pinpoints... I'm pretty sure they are wrong, but scared to check now. Any ideas how much this would affect my grade?? I feel like having the wrong page number is probably looked down on... a lot...
Doubtful a professor actually checks. Anyways, can't worry about it now, focus on finals.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 pm

ph14 wrote:
freefall21 wrote:Reread my memo (stupid idea - turned it in last week) and realized I forgot to go back and double check a couple of the pinpoints... I'm pretty sure they are wrong, but scared to check now. Any ideas how much this would affect my grade?? I feel like having the wrong page number is probably looked down on... a lot...
Doubtful a professor actually checks. Anyways, can't worry about it now, focus on finals.
Wrong. I got mine back with comments today, and I had a pin cite corrected for me.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Wrong. I got mine back with comments today, and I had a pin cite corrected for me.
Sounds like you deserve it.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:02 am

ph14 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Sounds like you deserve it.
Well... yeah. It was an incorrect pin cite.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 am

i know my prof checks that. she really ragged on my friend who incorrectly pin cited and said he should be careful of plagiarism.

anyway, my memo has been done for three weeks.. but now i am double checking it to use as my writing sample. i thought i would never have to look at this again :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:36 am

Mine's submitted 20 hours before the deadline! Yeah! Time to focus on Property, Civil Procedure, Contracts, and Torts.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 am

Do LRW grades usually get released earlier than the substantive classes?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:38 am

adonai wrote:Do LRW grades usually get released earlier than the substantive classes?
Mine doesn't.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 am

ph14 wrote:
adonai wrote:Do LRW grades usually get released earlier than the substantive classes?
Mine doesn't.
I'd imagine there would be no reason for them to take 1.5 months to grade 20 memos. LRW professors seem to have too much time as it is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 am

adonai wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Mine doesn't.
I'd imagine there would be no reason for them to take 1.5 months to grade 20 memos. LRW professors seem to have too much time as it is.
:?: Are you serious? As far as I know, all of our LWR professors have real jobs, mine works at the CA Court of Appeal and I know another works for the DOJ, and another for a firm. Our LWR grades come out at the same time as our other grades because they simply don't release them earlier. They don't release any grades during finals because they don't want to distract us from studying.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:00 am

ilovesf wrote:
adonai wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Mine doesn't.
:?: Are you serious? As far as I know, all of our LWR professors have real jobs, mine works at the CA Court of Appeal and I know another works for the DOJ, and another for a firm. Our LWR grades come out at the same time as our other grades because they simply don't release them earlier. They don't release any grades during finals because they don't want to distract us from studying.
At my school, most if not all of the LRW profs only teach their one or two sections of LRW. Since they're full-time, I'd imagine they don't have a side job. I guess at other schools teaching LRW is their side job.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 am

adonai wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
adonai wrote:
ph14 wrote: Mine doesn't.
At my school, most if not all of the LRW profs only teach their one or two sections of LRW. Since they're full-time, I'd imagine they don't have a side job. I guess at other schools teaching LRW is their side job.
At my school the LRW profs are full-time employees. But I don't think they realize grades early because they want to let us have an ignorant (and thus blissful) winter break. Which I can't say I mind too much.

1coolnerd

New

Post by 1coolnerd » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 am

Why is it against the honor code to have another student look over your work?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”