How much weight does ADR carry?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BEAST_mode

How much weight does ADR carry?

Postby BEAST_mode » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Of the non-work, non-grade related, employer preferences, where does Alternative Dispute Resolution team sit on the totem pole of extracurricular nonsense. Obviously, its not a journal, but what about in comparison to moot court? Is it weighted more heavily for firms with departments that are more likely to go through arbitration and the like (Labor and Employment)? Trying to decide whether to go to the general interest meeting tonight or play COD.

kalvano

Re: How much weight does ADR carry?

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Ever seen a thread on TLS asking what's better, ADR or Law Review? Or do you see threads asking moot court versus law review?

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Sure, in most fields moot court wins. Obviously. But I'm more interested in how ADR is compared to moot court by firms who deal often in arbitration, hence the L&E reference. Could be that moot court trumps ADR regardless, but I'm just not entirely sure.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:01 pm

BEAST_mode wrote:Sure, in most fields moot court wins. Obviously. But I'm more interested in how ADR is compared to moot court by firms who deal often in arbitration, hence the L&E reference. Could be that moot court trumps ADR regardless, but I'm just not entirely sure.

Neither is a good extracurricular on your resume.

There's only 3 things that count for jobs - your grades, your journal, and your 1L job. Everything else is fungible and irrelevant, and don't try to delude yourself otherwise.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:05 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
BEAST_mode wrote:Sure, in most fields moot court wins. Obviously. But I'm more interested in how ADR is compared to moot court by firms who deal often in arbitration, hence the L&E reference. Could be that moot court trumps ADR regardless, but I'm just not entirely sure.

Neither is a good extracurricular on your resume.

There's only 3 things that count for Biglaw jobs - your grades, your journal, and your 1L job. Everything else is fungible and irrelevant, and don't try to delude yourself otherwise.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:09 pm

I'd slot it in below journal/moot court but above most extracurriculars in terms of value. Employers will be interested in it and it will likely give you some hands-on experience with handling real disputes, negotiating skills, etc. But it isn't like doing law review, or to a lesser extent another journal or moot court, which is more of a box the employers will check off – either you have that experience or you don't, and they will expressly be looking for it.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

So is it just BigLaw employers who look for law review experience? What if you have great grades but didn't get onto the law review?

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Metaread wrote:So is it just BigLaw employers who look for law review experience? What if you have great grades but didn't get onto the law review?

Depends where you go to school probably. Top 10? You're ok. Tier 2? In a rough spot.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”