2L. No motivation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
snowpeach06

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 am

kalvano wrote:I have to teach myself Con Law II sometime in the next 3 weeks, while writing two papers and studying for two other exams besides Con Law.

The e&e was good for me for that

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 am

The one thing I like about finals time (as a 2L) is watching panic-stricken 1L's frantically pace around the hallways, 3 supplements and 2 casebooks in hand.
Last edited by PitchO20 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:26 am

dailygrind wrote:Have to learn evidence in a week. Supplement recommendations?

Had to do the same thing 1L, I thought the E&E was pretty good.

dudders

Postby dudders » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:17 pm

stratocophic wrote:
dudders wrote:Greetings procrastinators. I get my first take home exam tomorrow, haven't outlined a thing (for that or my other three classes). Three and a half weeks of pure hell ahead.

At least I went to class and kept up with reading. Otherwise I was be 10x worse off.
--ImageRemoved--

Don't worry, at least 50% of class time this semester was spent on Sporcle.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:57 pm

I did slightly better at attending class this semester...but that essentially means I attended one of my classes 7 times total instead of 3.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:08 pm

dudders wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
dudders wrote:Greetings procrastinators. I get my first take home exam tomorrow, haven't outlined a thing (for that or my other three classes). Three and a half weeks of pure hell ahead.

At least I went to class and kept up with reading. Otherwise I was be 10x worse off.
--ImageRemoved--

Don't worry, at least 50% of class time this semester was spent on Sporcle.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I did slightly better at attending class this semester...but that essentially means I attended one of my classes 7 times total instead of 3.

aren't you in my crim pro class? i dont think ive been to it in like 6 weeks. any word on if that exam is going to be curved?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 pm

traehekat wrote:

Cool, thanks for the rec.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:11 pm

A 3L in my class just told a really rambling story for his paper presentation in my seminar. Totally 180. So alpha.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 pm

traehekat wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I did slightly better at attending class this semester...but that essentially means I attended one of my classes 7 times total instead of 3.

aren't you in my crim pro class? i dont think ive been to it in like 6 weeks. any word on if that exam is going to be curved?

Do you all not have the nasty requirement where if you miss class more than 11 times you auto-fail? Because we have that. Thankfully I don't know that from personal experience but a friend of mine got to take Civ Pro II twice.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Do you all not have the nasty requirement where if you miss class more than 11 times you auto-fail? Because we have that. Thankfully I don't know that from personal experience but a friend of mine got to take Civ Pro II twice.

not to my knowledge, but since you brought it up i did find this:

Class attendance is required in all courses, as is mandated by our accrediting authorities. No student should enroll in any course without the intention and capability of satisfying this requirement. Failure to attend a class regularly may cause reduction in the grade, loss of credit for the course, additional remedial work, denial of residence credit or other appropriate sanctions in the discretion of the instructor or the Dean.

ive never heard of anything happening beyond receiving a lower grade for lack of participation, but even then i dont think most professors care about participation.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A 3L in my class just told a really rambling story for his paper presentation in my seminar. Totally 180. So alpha.

I think I might be in that class.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:23 pm

dailygrind wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I like Understanding Evidence better. It's more rules-focused.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 am

kalvano wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I like Understanding Evidence better. It's more rules-focused.

I bought both. My issue is that understanding evidence is from 09, and they updated the E&E literally last week. I'm not sure when the rules changed.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 am

snowpeach06 wrote:I bought both. My issue is that understanding evidence is from 09, and they updated the E&E literally last week. I'm not sure when the rules changed.

True, the rules changed last year I think. But, it wasn't a substantive change, it was just a "revision for clarity", so the law didn't really change.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:00 am

kalvano wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I bought both. My issue is that understanding evidence is from 09, and they updated the E&E literally last week. I'm not sure when the rules changed.

True, the rules changed last year I think. But, it wasn't a substantive change, it was just a "revision for clarity", so the law didn't really change.

Yeah, I think this is referring to the "restyling" of the rules, in which case it was specifically stated that this was NOT meant to change the substance of the rules.

FWIW, while I thought the E&E did the the job, I'll admit it is a little light and if you have time you might want to fit in something like Understanding Evidence or whatever. If you only have a few days to learn it all, though, I think reading the E&E will allow you to make the most of a limited amount of time.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 pm

"Restyling" is the word I was trying to remember and could not. Thank you.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Have not answered a question correctly in class all year.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:31 pm

So, to add the motivation for this semester, I had an interview with an amazing firm that I would dearly love to work for. I was then almost immediately asked to come back to meet partners and have a second interview. I walked away feeling pretty good, as they are trying to grow a particular department that I had specifically researched and written about. Loved the firm, the people, everything. For those of you who vaguely know me, the firm is awesome enough that I would have wanted to stay in Texas to work there.

I get a phone call from the firm, the managing partner of the group I am interested in. He spends several minutes telling me how everyone loved me, what a great candidate I am, how he thinks I would be a perfect fit, etc. Then he says that the firm has decided not to have a second-half clerk, and to keep in touch.

Eff. Me.

Any motivation I had for finals went right out the damn window.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm

dailygrind wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Also check out the CALIs for topics that give you any trouble. I thought some of them were legit. The stuff on hearsay was helpful for me.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 pm

traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Yeah, I think this is referring to the "restyling" of the rules, in which case it was specifically stated that this was NOT meant to change the substance of the rules.

FWIW, while I thought the E&E did the the job, I'll admit it is a little light and if you have time you might want to fit in something like Understanding Evidence or whatever. If you only have a few days to learn it all, though, I think reading the E&E will allow you to make the most of a limited amount of time.

I actually have Gianelli as a professor, so I'm gonna go for understanding evidence.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 pm

3L, 29 days from graduation, seriously considering starting BarBri rather than studying and writing up final projects. That's how bad it is.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 pm

wiseowl wrote:3L, 29 days from graduation, seriously considering starting BarBri rather than studying and writing up final projects. That's how bad it is.

Oh lawd!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 pm

monkey85 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:3L, 29 days from graduation, seriously considering starting BarBri rather than studying and writing up final projects. That's how bad it is.

Oh lawd!

I want to be a 3L :(.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Goal for this week: complete entire crim pro outline. Accomplished this week: outlined the first month of class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”