2L. No motivation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:01 am

Your school doesn't auto-fail you if you miss 4-6 classes per semester?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:02 am

romothesavior wrote:You need to get on gchat.

Brb convenience store

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:02 am

Extension_Cord wrote:Your school doesn't auto-fail you if you miss 4-6 classes per semester?

Who's checking?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 am

Grizz wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Your school doesn't auto-fail you if you miss 4-6 classes per semester?

Who's checking?

I have no idea how they'd know, but I am sure I have missed 4+ every semester.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 am

No, that's some TTT shit. Few profs at my school care, even those with attendance policies.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 am

Grizz wrote:
dailygrind wrote:My grades came back. I slipped significantly. I have resolved to work harder this semester. And yet here I am, book uncracked.

As someone who also got some toilet grades, let's get back in it.

I think I almost have to. I've spent a week or two kinda cruising along, but I don't even know what to do with myself if I'm not grinding.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:28 am

LOL @ everyone with required notes.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 am

keg411 wrote:LOL @ everyone with required notes.

I'd much rather do citations.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:41 am

Grizz wrote:

This.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 am

lollllllll

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:56 am

traehekat wrote:
Grizz wrote:

This.

This. Fortunately, I get to do three cite-checks this semester and a required note. I feel loved.

and
romothesavior wrote:

No, that's some TTT shit. Few profs at my school care, even those with attendance policies.

This. Seriously, what festering hole would auto-fail a student for missing class?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:31 pm

mths wrote:

lollllllll

I went to 2 of my classes an aggregate total of 1 time.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:16 pm

This is just a pointless rant, but I need to spew it out somewhere and this seems like as good a place as any.

I hate law school right now. I don't mean this in the "Oh man, law school iz stoopid lol" way. I mean it is becoming an unhealthy loathing for class, law review, my classmates, and the system as a whole. I've got my good group of friends and we go out a lot and have a blast, but I I have absolutely no interest in anything that is going on with school and I can't believe that I have to do this mindless bullshit for another three semesters. I don't know what I am waking up in the morning for. What am I supposed to be doing? Not only do I have no motivation, I have no reason for motivation. All that really matters at this point is getting a full time offer out of my job this summer. I go to a T20 with TTT clerkship stats so the odds of that are essentially out, and I would have to just bomb this semester to lose my job for grade-reasons. What the fuck is the point of this? Learning dumb fucking caselaw that no one needs to know in practice, cite checking law review articles that amount to nothing more than academic circle-jerking, and racking up useless debt so I can learn from these "distinguished professors." I know this rant seems silly when most of my classmates are jobless and this really amounts to some serious first-world problem white whining, but this shit is a worthless drag with no end in sight.

Please tell me I'm not the only one in this boat.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is just a pointless rant, but I need to spew it out somewhere and this seems like as good a place as any.

I hate law school right now. I don't mean this in the "Oh man, law school iz stoopid lol" way. I mean it is becoming an unhealthy loathing for class, law review, my classmates, and the system as a whole. I've got my good group of friends and we go out a lot and have a blast, but I I have absolutely no interest in anything that is going on with school and I can't believe that I have to do this mindless bullshit for another three semesters. I don't know what I am waking up in the morning for. What am I supposed to be doing? Not only do I have no motivation, I have no reason for motivation. All that really matters at this point is getting a full time offer out of my job this summer. I go to a T20 with TTT clerkship stats so the odds of that are essentially out, and I would have to just bomb this semester to lose my job for grade-reasons. What the fuck is the point of this? Learning dumb fucking caselaw that no one needs to know in practice, cite checking law review articles that amount to nothing more than academic circle-jerking, and racking up useless debt so I can learn from these "distinguished professors." I know this rant seems silly when most of my classmates are jobless and this really amounts to some serious first-world problem white whining, but this shit is a worthless drag with no end in sight.

Nope. I feel pretty much the same way. Still kind of gunning for a clerkship, but I hate the idea of going to class for 3 more semesters. I know I can learn everything necessary to get a good grade in the couple weeks before the exam, so it seems like a pointless waste of time.

My only motivation is my desire to not be in Texas, which means I need to keep good grades in order to have a shot outside of here. Aside from that, I just want the summer to roll around so I can make some money.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is just a pointless rant, but I need to spew it out somewhere and this seems like as good a place as any.

all true, but i mean... did you actually expect to enjoy spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to learn useless information for 3 years? i think most of us knew what we were in for.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:26 pm

traehekat wrote:all true, but i mean... did you actually expect to enjoy spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to learn useless information for 3 years? i think most of us knew what we were in for.

No, of course not. But I didn't hate law school like this last year, or even last semester. Its just a more recent development. If you look at a lot of my posts, I've said repeatedly that I have enjoyed law school and had a lot of fun. It's not a ton of work, I've made some great friends, I am very involved and social, etc. I think I've lectured Grizz on this exact thing multiple times. But I seriously underestimated the monotony of law school, and I guess I underestimated how worthless all of the stuff we learn and do actually is. It is mindless and has no point.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:35 pm

I hated law school a lot last semester but I feel a little better about it this semester. I made sure I avoided any professors that still cared about attendance or class participation and that's helped a lot. It's boring but I just make sure I save up reading material for class time.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Try to sign up for practicioner led classes if you can. I've got one who will actually provide me with feedback on my written work before I start the summer. But yeah, it's pretty boring for the most part.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:40 pm

As someone with grades good enough to get SA positions but not good enough for clerkships, I have been feeling as you do now for a while, Romo. Just hate this so much.

I knew law school would be hard, but I didn't think it would be soul crushingly asinine.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Personally, I had the "no motivation, law school blows, who gives a fuck" attitude last semester and I ended up with absolutely miserable and way below median grades. So while maybe some of you can blow off class and read an outline at the last minute and get A's, I can't. And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.

And if it's actually true, fuck you all because I actually have to try for the next 1.5 years to end up with a respectable GPA.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:53 pm

keg411 wrote:Personally, I had the "no motivation, law school blows, who gives a fuck" attitude last semester and I ended up with absolutely miserable and way below median grades. So while maybe some of you can blow off class and read an outline at the last minute and get A's, I can't. And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.

And if it's actually true, fuck you all because I actually have to try for the next 1.5 years to end up with a respectable GPA.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm hoping to correct that this semester by taking fluffier classes not by trying harder :)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:56 pm

keg411 wrote:And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.

Umm... okay.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:08 pm

I was feeling down about the fact that I haven't been to my last five evidence classes, but I just ate like four croissants so I'm feeling better now.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I really wish I was doing a clinic this semester.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm

keg411 wrote:Personally, I had the "no motivation, law school blows, who gives a fuck" attitude last semester and I ended up with absolutely miserable and way below median grades. So while maybe some of you can blow off class and read an outline at the last minute and get A's, I can't. And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.

I was more or less in the same boat last semester. I completely checked out, only instead of it being liberating I think I was actually more stressed out because I just hated being in the law building. I had a job, was on journal, but didn't want moot court and knew I wasn't competitive for clerkships.

I wound up with median grades last semester, and I'm going everything I can to keep a positive attitude and stay engaged in school this semester. I can only imagine how impossible that's going to be once it starts getting warmer. And next year? Fucking forget about it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”