2L. No motivation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:37 am

blowhard wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
traehekat wrote:Ugh, first draft of comment due tomorrow night. I have about 22/35 pages written. I wonder what happens if I turn something in that isn't 35 pages long.


I did this with the first draft of my note. I got a very nasty email back from my notes editor (with EIC and some other editor CCd) saying I had an hour and a half to finish the rest or it would be considered incomplete. After a semester of hell I didn't want to get kicked out of LR so I finished it, but I bet nothing really would have happened.


Our LR kicks people out and makes them take it off their resume if they miss too many deadlines. However, we don't have strict page limits just guidelines.


It wasn't even pages of content it was pages of footnotes :roll: My LR sucks

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby traehekat » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
traehekat wrote:Ugh, first draft of comment due tomorrow night. I have about 22/35 pages written. I wonder what happens if I turn something in that isn't 35 pages long.


I did this with the first draft of my note. I got a very nasty email back from my notes editor (with EIC and some other editor CCd) saying I had an hour and a half to finish the rest or it would be considered incomplete. After a semester of hell I didn't want to get kicked out of LR so I finished it, but I bet nothing really would have happened.


Our LR kicks people out and makes them take it off their resume if they miss too many deadlines. However, we don't have strict page limits just guidelines.


It wasn't even pages of content it was pages of footnotes :roll: My LR sucks


lame. i guess i'd rather not risk pissing someone off, i'll just finish it.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:41 pm

traehekat wrote:
lame. i guess i'd rather not risk pissing someone off, i'll just finish it.


Aren't you a NW student now? I thought all the journals had their deadlines already? Sucks that you got a deadline during break.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby traehekat » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:
lame. i guess i'd rather not risk pissing someone off, i'll just finish it.


Aren't you a NW student now? I thought all the journals had their deadlines already? Sucks that you got a deadline during break.


ya transfers (and i think AJDs?) have different deadlines than everyone else because we got started later, at least for my journal. it sucks but kinda my fault i guess for not getting it done earlier.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Still writing a paper for Fall semester. LOLOLOL @ taking a 1-credit Chapter 11 class.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Tons of work and deadlines is a horrible thing to combine with no motivation.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby los blancos » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:59 pm

keg411 wrote:Still writing a paper for Fall semester. LOLOLOL @ taking a 1-credit Chapter 11 class.


Same here, except it's a 2-credit seminar. Getting nowhere, and not really even because I'm procrastinating it.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Doritos » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm so excited to see my grades from fall semester

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby smokyroom26 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Doritos wrote:I'm so excited to see my grades from fall semester


there are so many appropriate images for this.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Time to get this thing going again.

Gotta say, my grades from last semester definitely give me no reason to work hard this spring. My work-to-grade ratio was off the charts. It was my best semester yet in terms of grades, and I put in very minimal work. I plan on trying to duplicate that shit this semester.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby los blancos » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:58 am

romothesavior wrote:Time to get this thing going again.

Gotta say, my grades from last semester definitely give me no reason to work hard this spring. My work-to-grade ratio was off the charts. It was my best semester yet in terms of grades, and I put in very minimal work. I plan on trying to duplicate that shit this semester.


I would be surprised if my grades from last semester don't turn out to be my best, owing mostly to the easier curve in several of my classes.


I'm actually much more motivated this semester, but I think that's in part because I was forced to get off to a quick start - one of my 3-credit class is over by mid-Feb.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:18 am

it's weird, im more motivated this semester, but after seeing some of my grades i have to ask myself why i should even bother putting in the kind of work i am "motivated" to do, seeing as how it has no correlation with grades.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:20 am

My grades are so horribly mediocre so far. 2LOL may have worked for others, but it clearly didn't work for me (the "LOL I barely studied and got all A's crowd" is starting to bug). Probably my fault for abandoning a lot of my 1L study strategies, allocating my time poorly, and writing super shitty exams.

So looks like I'm going to have to put in effort this semester and get motivated again.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:41 pm

lol, I have even less motivation to work on the second draft of my comment than I did to work on the first.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 pm

My grades turned out WAY better than I expected (3.66). I am so confused. I did absolutely nothing last semester and my exams were impossible. I'm beginning to wonder if someone else accidentally entered my exam number.

The bad thing is though, even after doing well, I'm even less motivated this semester.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 pm

keg411 wrote:My grades are so horribly mediocre so far. 2LOL may have worked for others, but it clearly didn't work for me (the "LOL I barely studied and got all A's crowd" is starting to bug). Probably my fault for abandoning a lot of my 1L study strategies, allocating my time poorly, and writing super shitty exams.

So looks like I'm going to have to put in effort this semester and get motivated again.


This. Have only gotten the two back I felt best about...and did barely ok. The other two should be interesting.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby D-hops » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:21 pm

My decision to gun for latin honors lasted about an hour. Then I went back to playing Skyrim.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:13 pm

keg411 wrote:My grades are so horribly mediocre so far. 2LOL may have worked for others, but it clearly didn't work for me (the "LOL I barely studied and got all A's crowd" is starting to bug). Probably my fault for abandoning a lot of my 1L study strategies, allocating my time poorly, and writing super shitty exams.

So looks like I'm going to have to put in effort this semester and get motivated again.


Yeah, and it's probably gonna be even harder to get good grades this semester because now 1L Summer Starters are in the upperclasses. Hopefully, apathetic last semester 3Ls balance this off.

I've gotten two B+s so far, can't really complain or feel happy. Have a feeling I might just end up with 4 B+s...

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:16 pm

lol. I'm stuck in a stupid ALL 1L class this semester because it wasn't required at my old school. It is horrible. F@#$ Transferring.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby kaiser » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Didn't do well. 2 classes were ok. 1 poor grade. Sure as hell not letting myself get no offered so im going back to uber motivation now.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 pm

I've gotten the feeling you have to do really poorly to actually get no offered for grades. Most firms don't even ask.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 pm

D-hops wrote:My decision to gun for latin honors lasted about an hour. Then I went back to playing Skyrim.

I didn't go to any classes on Tuesday and brought a beer to class on Friday. (It was also only my second time attending that class.)
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:12 pm

goodolgil wrote:
keg411 wrote:My grades are so horribly mediocre so far. 2LOL may have worked for others, but it clearly didn't work for me (the "LOL I barely studied and got all A's crowd" is starting to bug). Probably my fault for abandoning a lot of my 1L study strategies, allocating my time poorly, and writing super shitty exams.

So looks like I'm going to have to put in effort this semester and get motivated again.


Yeah, and it's probably gonna be even harder to get good grades this semester because now 1L Summer Starters are in the upperclasses. Hopefully, apathetic last semester 3Ls balance this off.

I've gotten two B+s so far, can't really complain or feel happy. Have a feeling I might just end up with 4 B+s...


According to some 3L's apparently our class as a whole is full of insane-o gunners, which I was really not expecting in coming here. The 1L Summer Starters may actually have to watch out for them.

I'm not so much worried about grades for a no-offer; it's more that I know I can do a lot better.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Spent first semester unmotivated. Skipped about 1/3 of my classes, only read about 1/4 of the assignments, spent about one day studying for each of my finals, on a two day take home, I worked about 8 hours.

Fall grades came in yesterday... I got the exact same awesome grades that I received busting my ass last year.

My motivational level is going to plummet this semester.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Cupidity wrote:Spent first semester unmotivated. Skipped about 1/3 of my classes, only read about 1/4 of the assignments, spent about one day studying for each of my finals, on a two day take home, I worked about 8 hours.

Fall grades came in yesterday... I got the exact same awesome grades that I received busting my ass last year.

My motivational level is going to plummet this semester.

lol, I did quite a bit better than last year and actually had a class I went to fewer than 5 times and never read a page in the casebook for.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests