2L. No motivation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uvahooo
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby uvahooo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Doritos wrote:
desertlaw wrote:I should order Wings Over.


YES YOU SHOULD


do what doritos says.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby desertlaw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:50 pm

uvahooo wrote:
Doritos wrote:
desertlaw wrote:I should order Wings Over.


YES YOU SHOULD


do what doritos says.



Ordered, delivered, eaten.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Just watched this old classic to motivate myself to study for my two remaining exams. Didn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:
Grizz wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:so happy to be finally done; had alcohol at 11 am to celebrate

You are a 3L.


this was easily my most brutal semester for exams. I cared SO SO SO little that it got stressful near the end. Beer soon?

Hope it works out, good thing it doesn't matter that much for you. I'll call you when I get back.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:20 am

Image

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Yvonnella » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:22 am

After reading this thread, I gather a lot of people out there think being a 2L is less exciting than being a 1L was.

I love being a 2L. Any moron can get through 1L. Try getting through 2L.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Yvonnella wrote:After reading this thread, I gather a lot of people out there think being a 2L is less exciting than being a 1L was.

I love being a 2L. Any moron can get through 1L. Try getting through 2L.


The job search part of 2L was pretty much the most emotionally draining part of law school. The problem is that it gives you pretty much zero motivation to give a shit about class, because if your search turns out well, you have a JERB and just won at life and who gives a fuck about grades... and if it turns out poorly, there are far far far worse things to worry about then grades.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby blurbz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 pm

keg411 wrote:
Yvonnella wrote:After reading this thread, I gather a lot of people out there think being a 2L is less exciting than being a 1L was.

I love being a 2L. Any moron can get through 1L. Try getting through 2L.


The job search part of 2L was pretty much the most emotionally draining part of law school. The problem is that it gives you pretty much zero motivation to give a shit about class, because if your search turns out well, you have a JERB and just won at life and who gives a fuck about grades... and if it turns out poorly, there are far far far worse things to worry about then grades.


Yes, exactly.

Job search made it so I was barely in school for the first month of the semester. When I got back I was a month behind, but I had a job....So why give a fuck? It was nice until this week when I suddenly felt the need to not TOTALLY embarrass myself on exams...

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby as stars burn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Holy crap----I AM DONE! There were moments when I was certain I was going to die. And, I'm 90% sure I absolutely destroyed my last exam. Pre-writing answers was the greatest thing I ever did. I literately re-copied my pre-written answers and inserted the particular facts. It was a great way to end the exam period, and it should balance out the B- I am almost certain to be getting from Comm Law.

Also, to the above statement; I completely agree about 2L being more grueling than 1L. It wasn't so much the job search for me though because I got really, really, really, lucky and struck gold at OCI (I knew I had a job by October). For me, I doubled my course-load, had secondary journal work, and volunteered more hours. Worst decision ever. This semester was by far the most mentally/emotionally/physically draining semester yet.

Also, one of my professors already has our grades up for a class that is still on the 1L curve. I am absolutely petrified to look. In fact, I probably won't look for a couple of weeks. To top it off, everyone in that class posted on facebook how they were happy with their grades from that class...it sort of made my heart drop because SOMEONE has to get a C+ in the class. (Granted, I felt good about the exam, but feelings aren't always in line with the actual grade sometimes)

memo2partner
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby memo2partner » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:46 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:Memorizing an entire semester of Corporations in 6 hours...

Image


This is what happened to me in bankruptcy. Basically tried to memorize the semester in a little under 2 days. I totally bombed that exam--typed something about adequate protection and that is all I remember. I landed a job and just cannot focus at all--very well could be straight Cs this semester :(

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Image


QFTlulz

perfectly captures how i feel

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:22 am

blurbz wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Yvonnella wrote:After reading this thread, I gather a lot of people out there think being a 2L is less exciting than being a 1L was.

I love being a 2L. Any moron can get through 1L. Try getting through 2L.


The job search part of 2L was pretty much the most emotionally draining part of law school. The problem is that it gives you pretty much zero motivation to give a shit about class, because if your search turns out well, you have a JERB and just won at life and who gives a fuck about grades... and if it turns out poorly, there are far far far worse things to worry about then grades.


Yes, exactly.

Job search made it so I was barely in school for the first month of the semester. When I got back I was a month behind, but I had a job....So why give a fuck? It was nice until this week when I suddenly felt the need to not TOTALLY embarrass myself on exams...


Imagine if your job search was still ongoing.

While I recognize I completely destroyed my shot at academia and clerking in my god-awful finals performance, I don't even care.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Veyron » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:16 am

Fellow 2Ls, how badly do I have to do to bottom out the curve (i.e. C)?

P.S. You can tell by the timestamp where this is coming from.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:16 am

Veyron wrote:Fellow 2Ls, how badly do I have to do to bottom out the curve (i.e. C)?

P.S. You can tell by the timestamp where this is coming from.


Depends on the school. A C is the absolute bottom for us. There are no mandatory C-s or below. If you get below that, you can do extra work and bring it up to a C- or C (I forget which).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:48 pm

blowhard wrote:
Veyron wrote:Fellow 2Ls, how badly do I have to do to bottom out the curve (i.e. C)?

P.S. You can tell by the timestamp where this is coming from.


Depends on the school. A C is the absolute bottom for us. There are no mandatory C-s or below. If you get below that, you can do extra work and bring it up to a C- or C (I forget which).


Wow, you get mandatory C's. That blows.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Veyron wrote:Fellow 2Ls, how badly do I have to do to bottom out the curve (i.e. C)?

P.S. You can tell by the timestamp where this is coming from.


Depends on the school. A C is the absolute bottom for us. There are no mandatory C-s or below. If you get below that, you can do extra work and bring it up to a C- or C (I forget which).


Wow, you get mandatory C's. That blows.


us too..but its literally like the bottom 4% of the class. a B- is damage enough to our GPA's since B+ is median

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Veyron wrote:Fellow 2Ls, how badly do I have to do to bottom out the curve (i.e. C)?

P.S. You can tell by the timestamp where this is coming from.


Depends on the school. A C is the absolute bottom for us. There are no mandatory C-s or below. If you get below that, you can do extra work and bring it up to a C- or C (I forget which).


Wow, you get mandatory C's. That blows.


Actually, I'm not sure that we do. I know for sure there is nothing mandatory below that.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Veyron » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 pm

goosey wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Veyron wrote:Fellow 2Ls, how badly do I have to do to bottom out the curve (i.e. C)?

P.S. You can tell by the timestamp where this is coming from.


Depends on the school. A C is the absolute bottom for us. There are no mandatory C-s or below. If you get below that, you can do extra work and bring it up to a C- or C (I forget which).


Wow, you get mandatory C's. That blows.


us too..but its literally like the bottom 4% of the class. a B- is damage enough to our GPA's since B+ is median


Similar curve. I think I could handle a B- since I already have an SA, how badly do I have to fuck up to get a C tho? I've studied but nowhere like I did for 1lol, didn't do most of the readings etc.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 am

Reviving for after finals analysis. Those who took evidence last semester what supplement did you find most helpful? taking it next semester.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Ludo! » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:47 am

robin600 wrote:Reviving for after finals analysis. Those who took evidence last semester what supplement did you find most helpful? taking it next semester.

You're already thinking about studying for next semester?? You sound too motivated for this thread

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
robin600 wrote:Reviving for after finals analysis. Those who took evidence last semester what supplement did you find most helpful? taking it next semester.

You're already thinking about studying for next semester?? You sound too motivated for this thread

I'm a dual degree student and am taking non-curved classes this semester :)

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby traehekat » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:42 pm

The lack of motivation continues into the vacation (not surprisingly). First draft of 35 page comment due on the 23rd. I decided to stay in the hotel room all day and get a good portion of it knocked out. Almost 1PM now and I've yet to do more than open the word document and take the binder of research stuff out of my backpack. Pretty sure I've earned myself a lunch break though.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby quiver » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:01 pm

traehekat wrote:The lack of motivation continues into the vacation (not surprisingly). First draft of 35 page comment due on the 23rd. I decided to stay in the hotel room all day and get a good portion of it knocked out. Almost 1PM now and I've yet to do more than open the word document and take the binder of research stuff out of my backpack. Pretty sure I've earned myself a lunch break though.
I'll be in this same boat tomorrow. I have 2 papers due in January with nothing done on them yet. I'm gonna try and knock one out tomorrow before I go home but I feel like the above is what will happen.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby kaiser » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:59 pm

Kickin' back, relaxing, and just started my Dexter marathon to catch up on this season.

Only problem is that I have an exam on Wednesday...

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:20 pm

robin600 wrote:Reviving for after finals analysis. Those who took evidence last semester what supplement did you find most helpful? taking it next semester.

GTFO




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lovesthelaw, Yankees1313 and 9 guests